Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Buffalo Bill riding the Oregon Trail to Oregon City..and Beyond..

The idea for this ride was simple....I needed to be in Oregon for a family reunion. Once in Oregon, I would pick up Buffalo Patty at the Portland Airport, and we would ride to the reunion, and then have about six days to spend around central and western oregon...Then I would have to ride back home .Sweet....Another ride....

With all the honey does done, I grabbed a map, loaded the bike and tried to figure a route...Having traveled from NEbraska to Oregon many times, I had done almost every option...

In traveling this route, I was very aware that the most direct route is along the Oregon Trail, so what if I road my Iron Horse along that route to Oregon City, Oregon...Sounds good....Lincoln, Nebraska to Oregon City just like the pioneers...

The timing of this ride will also connect with an annual event on the Oregon Trail in Glenns Ferry Idaho.. This is the location where the Trail crosses the mighty Snake River...The second weekend in August every year hundreds of horses, mules, oxen, and wagons converge on the river to re-enact the crossing.....Having been to the crosssing location and spent time at the Three Mile Island interpretive center several times, I had still never been there during the crossing weekend. This will be a highlight on the ride for me....

Big Dog in the Man Cave.....

Having just watched the Long Way Down last week. I now understand how a ride is supposed to start...So I call a few of my local riding buds and had my own pre-ride send off..

Hey Charlie and Ewen......Eat your heart out...

Buffalo Patty is not happy that her vacation account will not allow her to be on the entire ride....

In true adventurer style she salutes the ride...

With the send off complete, I will be on the Oregon Trail at O Dark Thirty in the morning..

See ya on the Trail...

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 06:40 AM Reason: adding photo
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
let's go

Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Vodie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Oh, this is going to be a good one!

Safe and happy trails.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Day 1 Lincoln, NE to Montpelier, IDaho.....

Great first day..Following the North Platte RIver...Ft. Kearney, Chimney Rock, Ft. Laramie, Signature Cliff near Guersey, WY.. Ft. Hall, WY, Ft. Steele, again on the North Platte...Rock River, Green River, Kemmer... Rained hard the last 150 miles...Thats what I get for not stopping earlier....

I will be on later with more, and get some pics to show the way....

Short ride from Montpelier, IDaho to Glenns Ferry, Idaho.......Try not to get wet....

"GO Big Red"
Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
Great first day..Following the North Platte RIver...Ft. Kearney, Chimney Rock, Ft. Laramie, Signature Cliff near Guersey, WY.. Ft. Hall, WY, Ft. Steele, again on the North Platte...Rock River, Green River, Kemmer... Rained hard the last 150 miles...Thats what I get for not stopping earlier....

I will be on later with more, and get some pics to show the way....

Short ride from Montpelier, IDaho to Glenns Ferry, Idaho.......Try not to get wet....

"GO Big Red"
If you time it right I think the Three River crossing is happening (recreate the Oregon Trail crossing)

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
im excited to follow this trip. If you need any company to grap a pint in Oregon City just give the word..
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Dang Bill, what was it two weeks ago you were in my old stomping grounds of Ten Sleep, WY and now you're going to my old stomping grounds of Central Oregon? You have good taste
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,382

Safe Travels, Bill.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Crossing the Snake

A long time friend and resident of Glenns Ferry will be doin the crossing with one of his wagons and teams..If I am lucky I will get a some shots of the event...Lots going on here this weekend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
If you time it right I think the Three River crossing is happening (recreate the Oregon Trail crossing)
Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Sounds Good...

I'll look you up around when I get there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moose
im excited to follow this trip. If you need any company to grap a pint in Oregon City just give the word..
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oregonian Wife....

I am definitely living right....Maybe I should ask where too next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Dang Bill, what was it two weeks ago you were in my old stomping grounds of Ten Sleep, WY and now you're going to my old stomping grounds of Central Oregon? You have good taste

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 03:53 PM
Old 08-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Nyfty
2 Days To Any Coast

Oddometer: 173
Great in progress report...

Every once in a while will you remember us who are still "driving a desk"?
Nyfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
MDMason
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Photos ?

Hey Buff Bill, Where's the photos? And who is that hot chick sitting with your wife? Nice smile!
MDMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Day 1 Lincoln Nebraska to Montpelier Idaho

On the road early, I top off the gas...Cheapest around..

I hop on I 80 and head west to the Platte...I pick up the fog as my ride takes me west...Past The Archway Monument, just north of Ft. Kearney...The Monument is worth stopping to visit, as it chronicles the history of the Great Platte River ROad....

I finally get out to the Fog as I exit the slab, near Oshkosh..Now that I am on the road less traveled I start to see signs i am on the right trail.

on the road less traveled I can now see and smell the route the pioneers saw, as this route is along the river..

The gradual climb, from 1,000 ft above sea level in the east, too 3,000 msl now, I start to see the hills and buttes that flank the river to the south and north...This climb will eventually top out late today in Wyoming as I clear 7,300 ft msl as I cross the Continental Divide..

Thru towns named Broadwater and Bridgeport, I see more signs that this trail has others that also passed this way...

Past Chimney Rock and Scottsbluff I push into Wyoming..

Passing Ft. Laramie, it is approaching time for a break, so I push on a few more miles to Register Cliff..The cliff is located south and east of the modern day town of Guernsey WY...Not far from the road,, the stop was worthwhile..

Having drank my last water, I head south from the Cliff to Wheatland WY..I stop in Wheatland at the Cenex, and top off with water and gas..The temps are starting to get hot, but the lady at the station said it will be cooler to the west...

West from Wheatland I pickup hwy 34 toward laramie...Thru Sybil Canyon, and on to the west the temperatures drop as I continue to climb..

At the intersection of hwy34 and 30 i take a right and head toward Rock River and Medicine Bow...Having followed the Platte for most of the day, I am now following the rails...As I pass thru small run down towns, I am enjoying temps in the 70s and have a wind from the east..

Hwy 30 eventually dumps me onto I80 again near Rawlins WY...With 5 hours of daylight left, I stop for a late lunch...I decide to push west and try to make it to MOntpelier ID...The cool temps and wind from the east are not common in these parts during this time of year..

With lots of fellow pirates, I head on past Ft. Steele, and am finding the grove as I pass Rock Springs and Green River..

Just past Green River I get off the slab and head north toward Kemmer...THis route will take me up the valley to Montpelier, Idaho.

My east wind has now shifted from the south and the route to the northwest has a nice thunderstorm with cloud to ground lightning up ahead..

This sight kills my excitement for the trail, as I stop and put on my rain gear ...While dawning my gear on the side of the road, a truck with a trailer rolls in from the north and parks next to me...Two guys get out and start unloading a harley from the enclosed trailer...I was going to ask them how the weather was up north, but when they started unloading guns and shit from the truck into the saddlebags of the bike I decide the storm up ahead might be safer than I thought..

Long story short, I made it thru the worst rain and storm I'd ever riden in...A fitting finish to day one on the Trail..

It was rainy and dark when I got to MOntP, so this pick shows ole Betty in the parking lot the next morning....

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 09:58 AM
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Looking great so far Bill. I can even see Mighty Pink in some of those pictures up top!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote