Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Day 2 Montpelier Idaho...GLenns Ferry Idaho...Crossing the Snake.

Great dry night in a motel room....As I am packing up, I realize some of the gear in the panniers is wet..I didn't notice that last night and figure I can dry it at the end of todays ride...First time in seven years the Jesse's did not keep my stuff dry...A testiment to the terrential rains that I came thru last night...

I role out of the parking lot and notice a large oregon trail center across the street..They are not open but look to have a large display of stuff as I look thru the window..

My plan for the day is to ride the trail to Pocatela, then follow the snake river all the way to Glenns Ferry..

The morning sun clears the ridge to my right as I ride north thru hay and wheat fields..The cool temps(42) and the moist air from the rain the night before make the air smell extra sweet...

As I continue north I notice that much of the wheat is still very green and when I check my Alitimeter it shows I am still around 6000 ft msl...Pretty short growing season up here, wonder if they will get it harvested before the snows..

Great ride...

Just south of Pocatelo I see the sign for Ft. Hall..One of the stops along the trail...I must be on the right track...I have to say I did not pain myself about drifting off course during this journey, as I expect that is how some of the pioneers did it to...

Anyway, I need gas, so take the exit for the Fort...It is easy to find from the highway...They were not open so I checked out the replica fort thru the fence...

Back on the slab, I turn west like the toothfairy and quickly find the open road toward Burley..

From high on the plain, I can now see the Snake off my to my right as I approach The town of American Falls...

Once closer to the river I hop off for a closer look and a few history lessons...Had I been traveling slower I would have learned more...I really just wanted to save some learnin for the next trip....

A look back up the river from this sign shows some the tight terrain along the river walls that had to be navigated in the wagons...

I drop off the slab at Twin Falls and work along hwy 30 toward bliss...This drive takes you thru several small farming and ranching communities...Having already crossed the snake river three times, I cross it again near Hagerman, IDaho as well..

The Hagerman Area is known for its fish industry...Apparently the cold clean spring water has contributed to an industry that produces nearly 85% of all farm raised trout in the country....

Along the way to Bliss.....

Cold sumbitch when I went thru Hagerman that day....

Today is the 8th and I look forward to the 9th...As i mentioned earlier, I have some longtime friends that moved from Nebraska to Glenns Ferry about 15years ago..They are a major part of the crossing of the river...

From a Hill top retreat where I'll stay with my friend Dale, I can see the Valley overlooking the town of Glenns Ferry..

While I am at Dale's I get to know his new dog Badger...Ole Badger sits like the king of the hill and surveys the valley waiting for Dale..The blacktail jacks were watching ole Badger.....

All unpacked I find my room....I will be sharing the bunk house with this guy.....

Not really,,,,This is a fine specimen of an equine training aid....

My friend Dale and his Brother Loyd are up to their ears in Equine Dentistry, as they Design, Engineer, and Manufacture a wide range of instruments and tools for the field of equine dentistry...Additionally Dale, who has written over fifteen books about dentistry, also founded a school where they train all levels of equine dentistry..

During my visit, the school, which has students from all over the world was in session...Good for me...I get to watch from the classroom above the wetlab where they will recieve, and treat hundreds of horses over the next 4 weeks...

End of the day I am really getting tired.....

With 7,800 on her now, I'll try to make it Oregon CIty before changing...I'm really looking forward to getting that knobby out of my back....

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 12:54 AM
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Day 3: Crossing the Snake...On the Oregon Trail....

The crossing site is down stream about a mile from these signs that detail Glenns Ferry...

We cross on ole Betty before wagons arrive, just to make sure we don't steal the show...Here is a picture after we pull up on the north bank...

With the crossing warmed up, I signal the lone rider to bring on the wagon...

Wading in on the southside, the outrider helps show the way to the channel..Although some of this is deep, it will be the deep swift channel that will test the grit of this crew....

Those horses are swimming with that wagon hooked to them...If they don't get to the other side before the wagon swings down stream, they will not be able to swim with the weight of the wagon Hooked to them...

The look on Julies face tells the story....Lloyd like always,, is like Cool Hand Luke...Nice job driving...You can tell it wasn't his first rodeo...

Some rest in the shade and "HIgh Life" to boot....AHHHH, the Champane oF Beers...."Who cares about the spelling"..

Some of the other events included bridal less riding displays....Very Cool...Wonder if Medicine Creek can do this shit...

Period display of a Blacksmith operation also...

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 03:03 PM
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

NIce first post....Bout time....you lurker...

THis trip reporting from the road when you didn't bring a laptop is a trip....Pix posting has been a trip in itself...Enjoy the ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMason
Hey Buff Bill, Where's the photos? And who is that hot chick sitting with your wife? Nice smile!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

under the desk?

Quit your whining...You could be under that desk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfty
Every once in a while will you remember us who are still "driving a desk"?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Day 4: Glenns Ferry Idaho to John Day Oregon...

Back on the road....I say bye to Dale and Lori, as I pack for the ride to oregon today...

Looking forward to returning soon....

With options ahead, I ride thru Boise and on to Ontario, Oregon...From the high hill south of town I can see west into Oregon...I cross the snake for the 5th time, and look down at the deep river thinking how easy that, just was...

West from Ontario, I ride thru onion fields to Vale Oregon...I top off the gas and look for some pie...Found some at the Satelight Cafe....Strawberry/Banana was my choice for the day...Hey,,,pie run to Oregon...Anybody in??

Vail has lots of paintings on the town buildings showing its history on the Oregon Trail...Just south of town there is a grave of one settler who died of thirst 100 yards short of the river....

I head up hwy 26 from Vale, and stop in the town of Brogen....Folks setting in the shade...Just sharing a few stories...

Climbing west from Brogan toward Unity, I pickup cool temps in the 60s..The late afternoon ride toward the Mountains is a treat...

Had to stop and get rid of some tea. along this long strait stretch..Probably a fine here in oregon...They got a couple rules for about everything..

With the strawberry mountains in the background near Prairie City, Oregon, I am south of the original trail. I just wanted to go thru John Day....

The vistas and high meadows, of this area must have been the picture they showed all those folks back East......The promise land...

My home for the night in John Day....

It gets down in the lower forties and I get a great nights sleep...I wake up happy and have some coffee and oatmeal...Today I will make it to Oregon City...The end of the trail....

Here we are with 8,000 miles on me..

The jetboil is the movie star of all my gear...

Day: 5 John Day to Oregon City...

I run into these two guys and one women right away...I was interested in their rigs..Pretty hard core off road rigs..They were from BC, Canada and had been down driving the mining and forest roads of the Cascades...

Likely story...

I head east from Dayville then work back up 19 to the north, trying to get closer to the actual oregon trail..Just after turning north on 19, I come to the John Day Fossil Beds..

The significance of the fossil beds here, is that it contains one of the longest and most continuous records of evolutionary change and biotic relationships in the world..

This site has six major characteristics that few other fossil sites on this planet share...A long time span-great numbers of fossils-great diversity of fossils-well preserved fossils-an ability to date the fossils-and good correlation, or comparison, to fossils worldwide..Since 1975 the fossil collection from this site has grown to 40,000 research specimens, with over 2,000 plants and animal species identified...

All this information, and I was only looking for a place to take a p...

This lady was digging in the flowers...Must be looking for more fossils...

This region has some of the best twisties I've ever been on...Helps me get more miles out of that tire on the back...

Thru Spray, where I find out the locals use the three s's to control the mountain lions....Shoot-Shovel-Shut the fuck up...

From Fossil I decide to head for Biggs Jct where I will intersect the Columbia River..The high plains south of the river seem high as I look toward the river..A glance at my altimeter shows less than a 1,000 ft msl...Soon I would be down to 67ft msl along the river....

Lots of wheat on those hills overlooking the river...This ain't kansas either Toto...

Ak Moose at the Gorge...Back in my windsurfing days, I'd be out here with a big sail rigged, hangin on with my toes..

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddde......

Heading to OC.....down the columbia...wonder if anybody called a band...

Finally some chicks... They just came out from the free tasting at the brewery ...

Lucky for me, it was the last tasting for the day...

They dig the GS......

Horsetail falls were just above the other creek...

Anybody got a good tugboat driver joke???

South on the 205, just like the Pioneers...

Know bands and they were closed when I got there...Great fun......

I'm gonna keep this running for the next week and find a better way back to Nebraska....

Day 6 was a maintenance day,,gotta a little bit to say about the beemer dealers in these parts...

THey suck Alot....

Needed a tire change on the back...Had one in the garage, so I brought it with me..."We can't put that on for you since we did not sell it to you"..." Its brand new"" "We have this policy"

Fine.....Call the other place...Talk to Dave....The boss....Bring it down....We'll do it for you....

Good, cause I'm buying oil too...Need oil and tranny fluid...Might buy some other stuff too...

Get to Portland Motorcycle Shop...Start pulling my wheel off in the parking lot...Need a couple blocks of wood....Go ask the service guy......"You can't work on your bike in our parking lot" "We have a policy, see the sign".........

What?

I have the tire and already talked to dave......"

"Well.....As long as I don't see you doing it" "Heres the wood"

Finally got the rubber back on the rim....29bucks worth....I check the pressure and it is over inflated by 7psi, and did they replace the valve stem? NO.....Must cost extra for correct pressure and a new valve stem....

Sure as hell hope I don't need anything major around these parts....

I really got that feeling that all they want to do is sell you a new bike and then charge you thru the nose to work on it till you get tired of them and buy a KLR.....And Work on it yourself......

Makes an ole bohemian say"Suckaraminsky" "bunch of Chudauks"......

I see this attitude more and more.....Someday the FFs are gonna wonder where all the customers went.....I think someday is already here....

:gu n2

NOW i feel better.....

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 10:03 PM
Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #21
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Riding in Oregon.....

Hello again...

The week got started out kind of interesting..

I had planned to Pick up Buffalo Patty at PDX and then ride over to central oregon for a few days to visit Grandma...But first.....

We met Beerslayer for some lunch...After that we went to look at a 650 GS that he had on the Flea Market...I had spotted this bike before we left and figured we would look at it when we got out here from nebraska...

That is, if the bike was still available....It was...We did...

Patty coming out of the bank......

Passing the money to Beerslayer....Cool....Now we need to get two bikes home from this trip....

More pics of the new gs later...

But for now....Check this new adventure touring bike I spotted...Benelli???

Little Red.....

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-14-2008 at 09:49 AM
Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
Little Red.....

VERY COOL! Congrats to Patty on the bike!

Great report, sorry I missed your call the other day. I'll try to call you in a bit. (and I will forward the report onto the Colonel.)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,646
Awesome bike for Patty!!

Too bad you didn't have time to swing down to Lake City. We could've used your help picking up Jeff's bike on Imogene.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #24
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Nice pictures and great report
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Perfect match for your ride.....Had tourtechs on it but had to let the slayer have then....Still got the racks, so guess we're shopping for some panniers too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder
VERY COOL! Congrats to Patty on the bike!

Great report, sorry I missed your call the other day. I'll try to call you in a bit. (and I will forward the report onto the Colonel.)
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

It was a hard choice....Looked like you ffs had some awesome riding...I heard the story from JD on the winching that went on.....

Congrats on your adventure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Awesome bike for Patty!!

Too bad you didn't have time to swing down to Lake City. We could've used your help picking up Jeff's bike on Imogene.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Thanks, glad you enjoyed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
Nice pictures and great report
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Wow great bike tell your wife congrats, I wish I could get my wife to ride, she was an expert class NORBA mountain bike racer at one time but she is hessitant about riding a motorcycle. I am not going to pressure her but some day I hope she will get the bug, I have been trying to get her to enroll in a MC saftey course, maybe some day! It would be sooo nice not to have to ride with her on pilllion on long trips, expecially in the back country! Dont get me wrong I love having her along it just reduces the fun factor on the trails. Great ride report keep it coming! I still have your KLR in the garage!
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #29
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

In the cascades for a day or so....Then do the coast to Coos Bay....Should be back on the road to Nebraska thru ?......Will wait to check weather before deciding a route....May be thru your neck of the woods next friday....

The red bike is lowered and really fits her well...I am excited to have her learn and enjoy riding on her own....

Patty did the safety course two years ago, and although she did not ride her Super Sherpa much, the rider course made her a much better passenger....I think she will ride alot more....She has been wanting one of these gs's for about two years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratharr
Wow great bike tell your wife congrats, I wish I could get my wife to ride, she was an expert class NORBA mountain bike racer at one time but she is hessitant about riding a motorcycle. I am not going to pressure her but some day I hope she will get the bug, I have been trying to get her to enroll in a MC saftey course, maybe some day! It would be sooo nice not to have to ride with her on pilllion on long trips, expecially in the back country! Dont get me wrong I love having her along it just reduces the fun factor on the trails. Great ride report keep it coming! I still have your KLR in the garage!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
Methius
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Nice RR Buff! I've lived in oregon my whole life and never seen an actual fording of the river by a covered wagon!

What camera are you packing? the colors are great!
Methius is offline   Reply With Quote