flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,008
Great stuff!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #47
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Thanks man....I was going to ask you about the place you guys camped at ft robinson on your way to gillette...

I was going to stop there on the way back...

PM any info please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder
Great stuff!
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #48
DualSport650
Lucky Burglar

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
Yes....He was a nice guy.....

I'm gonna look some of you locals up on the next trip thru...
Definitely look us up!

You can PM me or go to www.BendDualSport.com and post
in the Dualsport Ride Planning forum.

You should ride the Oregon Trail / Barlow Road that starts
really close to Government Camp / Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood
and goes East out to Wamic, Oregon.

Now THAT is a FUN ride and you can do it on a BIG Dualsport.

Plus, we have a TON of amazing jeep roads, trails and sights
to see out here in the Bend / Central Oregon area.

DualSport650 screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 12:43 PM
DualSport650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #49
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534
Thats the life, ride to Oregon and oh lets buy a bike on the way . Nice trip report keep the pics com'n.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #50
babooka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Great photos! Keep them coming.

How do you carry your DSLR? tankbag? backpack? Any special foam enclosures?
babooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #51
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Most of the time its in the tank bag....I just recently put some foam in the bottom of the tankbag to help with shock and vibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babooka
Great photos! Keep them coming.

How do you carry your DSLR? tankbag? backpack? Any special foam enclosures?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #52
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

PDX east along the Lewis and Clark route....

I dropped Patty off at the airport in POrtland on Tuesday. It was kinda different when I picked her up last week, to be picking her up on a bike instead of a car...

What was different, was that I had all her gear with me...So when I pulled up to the front of the terminal, we had to unpack right there on the curb and put all the riding gear on.....Fast forward six days and again I am pulling up to PDX in the departures lane...Stop the bike and Patty gets off the bike...We are already drawing the attention of all the paranoid security folks and airline checkers, when Patty starts taking riding gear off and I start unloading her other gear from the panniers and repackiing the stuff she just took off,,,ie, riding coat, helment, riding pants, etc....

I stand there watching and taking pictures, trying not to look like a terrorisit....

Probably should have taken my helmet off... I'm sure me taking pictures of Patty changing gear, packing and repacking made them wonder what kinda hillbilly is this....

To top it all off, when all the hugging and kissing was over, I grad the camera, step back and ask Patty to give me the Salute... This is the best she could do with all the world watching...

She really does have that "I can't believe you want me to do this look"..

With my pillion empty again, I'm off for more adventure on the way to Nebraska..

From the airport I picked up the 205 and then east on 84.....the late morning traffic is light and I am at Troutdale before I know it..

After gasing up in Troutdale at 1030, I look to the east and see some clouds hanging in over the river....Looks like it might be a little wet..

With clouds and mist hanging in the air, I grab one shot of Multnoma Falls.

The clouds don't last long and before I get 50 miles up the gorge, the sky is starting to clear, and of course it is starting to get hot....

The Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area is a very beautiful area...The winds in the gorge going east give me a nice push....

Wind....

Wind has made this area a destination for windsurfers and now kite boarders for many years, the consistant windy conditions, that blow up the Gorge to the east, have helped spawn and sustain the windsurfing industry... Back in the early eighties, when I started riding sailboards on lakes in the midwest, I had always wanted to come here and sail on this river....Never did....

After watching and photographing these guys, I might have to dust some of my old gear off and get back out there...It was clear though, that the kite board was going twice as fast as the windsurfer...

I was watching these riders from the south bank near Arlington OR...Looked to be a shipping point for the local wheat growers...A place to load their grain on to boat to ship somewhere....Anyway,,,,,while i was taking pics of the sailors and couple of cage travelers were taking a break...Rolling a couple smokes and just hanging out....I noticed they were from washington state and since i was heading thru walla walla on up the road, I asked if they could give me the name of a good place to eat....

They gave several ideas, but the one that stuck in my head was a place called Whoopum Up Hollow Cafe, in Waitsburg Washington....Since that place was hours up the road, I grabbed a snack and go back on the road...

Traveling up east on 84 after I came up out of the gorge was pretty flat and boring, so the first sign I saw for a two lane road going to Walla Walla, I took...Thru a couple of small towns and then Umatilla, WA, I find myself again riding along the Columbia River, except this time I am really close to the water....

Sweet ride...Eventually The river goes north and I go east....On to Clarkston Wa...

Having been familiar with the Lewis and Clark 200 year celebration several years ago and also having read the book Undaunted Courage, I was aware that the expedition had traveled this way...I was now being constantly reminded of the history by all the signs and historic places that I am riding by....

Looks like I might be following a historic trail again...

On the way east toward Walla Walla I travel thru what must be the heart of Southeastern Washingtons Wine and Wheat Country...

Coming up I stop at Whoopum Up Hollow Cafe.....

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 09:31 PM
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #53
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,627
Lewis and Clark would be on GS's today.

GSbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #54
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
I stand there watching and taking pictures, trying not to look like a terrorisit....

It didn't work......

Be safe!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #55
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534
Next best thing to live, do'n a good job of updating
More on whoopum
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #56
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Whoopum Up Hollow Cafe......Waitsburg Washington

Ok,, I gas up in Walla Walla, first time thru this town....Lots of vineyards and fancy houses...Heading north I am going thru more wheat country, the Blue Mountains are to my east and I am looking to make it off these plains and into some mountains, for some cooler conditions to camp in...

Leaving Walla, I decide to take a break and have a late lunch/early supper...Next town is Waitsburg....I take a trip thru main street,and at the end of town, I find the Whoopum Up Hollow Cafe....Don't look open.....

I can at least take a picture....I look at the sign and they are open, just opened at 3pm...I look inside and feel like I just walked into New Orleans....THe feel and music playing was right out of Bourbon Street....

I ask to see the menu, and for sure I'm going to treat myself to a sit
down meal...Usually when on the road I grab whats fast and keep riding...

I have a nice waitress and she explains some things on the menu, and I decide to have something I can't get just anywhere out on the road...

MMMMMM, it all sounds really good...Not cheap either....

The main reason I stopped here was the lady at the gorge who told me about this place said a retired marine and his buddy opened this place...So far this is not what I would have pictured....Know sign of a Devil Dog Flag or nothing....

I order the Crawfish pie with a Salad...Wash it down with a PBR....Can't believe this beer is back on the market...I always heard it tasted like piss...What better,, to wash down some crawfish with....

Check out this layout of stuff...Had I known she was going to bring so much tabasco, I would have just ordered some crackers and a pile of napkins...

This line up is awesome,,,,I don't mind riding with alittle heart burn anyway...

The main course.................................

It was great, and even better washed down with the Blue Ribbon...

Now I'm ready to ride................

I get back on the road just in time to see this Wingnut with a 500 pounder...Actually its not a 500 pound bomb, but instead it is his golf clubs..

After about an hour, I find the Columbia River again, near Clarkston, WA...I cross the river into Lewiston Id and follow route rt 12...Coming out of Lewiston, I am now following the Clearwater River toward Orifino, Idaho...

The evening ride up the Clear Water River was the best...Having already filled my stomach ealier, I didn't take a break for supper...I kept riding toward Lolo...

The farther up the river I ride the more trees I start to see on the sides of the mountains.... A Good sign to someone looking to camp in the woods...

I pull into Orifino with another hour and a half of daylight...Not sure where the next gas is, i top off...While getting gas, a guy comes up and tells me that if I am heading east up 12, that I'm about to ride the best road of curves anywhere...Cool....I find out that their is also a nice campground about 60 miles up...Sounds good..

I leave heading east and continue to enjoy the ride. I pass thru a couple small towns and eventually get to around the 60 mile mark....Its starting to rain again and get dark. I had hoped to not put the tent up in the rain........On I go....Looking for the wilderness campground.......I never find the campground that the guy told me about....

Just as its getting dark i come upon a forest service campground that is about a mile from the town of Lovell...Traveling along the clear water river for the past few hours, I was hoping for a campsite on the river...

I pull into the campground...One other camper...Still several spots on the river..Its dark, and raining so I decide to check out the town that is a mile away...If I don't see something there, I can always come back....

I pull out onto the road and round the curve...Two Black Bears are standing in the road....I stop about 30 yards from them, they look at me, I look at them,,,,,the camera is in the tankbag because its raining...I reach for the camera, and they both bolt back up into the woods....I mount the camera on the handlebar and slowly ride by the place they went in the woods, but know bears....Know pics...

I cruise on into town and find a motel that has cabins and camping....I decide to take a camping spot next to the pool and hot tub......Great Spot....I have a couple beers and enjoy the facilities....

I finish the first day in the tub with these two...They were down from British Columbia for a ride on there Hardley....They were staying in one of the rented cabins.....Nice couple...

They were asking me how far it was to the Blackhills from here....I told them about 800 miles, and that I was going that way in the morning...If they wanted to tag along that would be great...

They asked how many days to the blackhills? I said one...They said they were only looking to make a couple hundred miles a day...Sounds good...

Great day of following the rivers....The ride on 12 reminded me of some of the country north of the border....

I look forward to riding the remaining 130 miles of this great road in the morning...

Up the Lolo and across Montana to Spearfish, South Dakota...

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 12:04 PM
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #57
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,616
Wonderful photo's Bill, very imaginative with some of the angles. And it was a pleasure to be snubbed by you in Spray Oregon on that beautiful morning. I don't blame you... we were on our "crusiers" sans ADV stickers.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #58
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Not a snub...Salute next time....

I liked your purple bikes, just got caught up inside with some of the locals..when I got done with my lunch you were gone....Nice country around Spray...Look forward to catching you the next time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
Wonderful photo's Bill, very imaginative with some of the angles. And it was a pleasure to be snubbed by you in Spray Oregon on that beautiful morning. I don't blame you... we were on our "crusiers" sans ADV stickers.

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 11:56 AM
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #59
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,433
Medicine Creek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #60
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,387

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote