new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,584

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #62
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
From Lolo to the Blackhills....

My night in bear country was cool and rainy...Perfect for sleeping...I break camp early and get on the road....The ride on rt 12 east toward Lolo Pass was a highlight....What stuck with me after the ride, was how rugged the landscape looked and remote the road was.....

Since I was planning a long day of riding, their was not much picture time....My goal was to get to the Blackhills by the end of the day...A wedding for a friend in Lincoln in a couple days was my motivation to get back in the next two days...

Acording to one of the Guides at Three Rivers Campground these waters are a world class Steelhead Fishery....You getting this Flyrodder?

I get back to civilization at Lolo and have some breakfast....My plan in to go up to Missoula and join I 90....

From Missoula,,I roll east...Not a bad state to ride the slab in....Butte, Bozeman, Livingston, Billings....Long way Cross....

I head south toward Sheridan and pick up Hwy 212 going east at The Little Bighorn....This short cut across the crow agency is a familiar route that saves about an hour of Travel time....With Plenty of Daylight to get to the Blackhills, I pass Lame Deer, the site where Dull Knife is buried, then thru ashland, and Broadus....

Not sure where they run this baby out here, but saw this rig in Billings at the Burger King...

I think thats a Valkyrie Engine.....Either that or a Knucklehead....Could be from a magna...

With these in the mirror I get closer to Spearfish.....

Going thru Lame Deer..

The last stretch into Bel Fouche...

Camping in the City Park in Spearfish SD..

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 09:23 PM
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #63
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Blackhills across the Plains.......Home...

The previous two days of riding, put me, what I would call close to home...Actually 600 miles is not that close, but hey, the more miles, the more I get to ride....

An easy morning in Spearfish....Get some coffee and meet a couple FFs on a Ride...

I get to the Coffee Joint and see this sign....Glad they have preferred parking for bikes....Cool...

While I was having coffee a couple riders go by...I try to get there attention to join me, but don't...I do catch up with them later at the gas station...

Jim and Bruce are from Illinois and Missouri...They were on their way home from a ride that had taken them up the ALKAN, across the TOP OF THE WORLD, and up the HAUL ROAD...THeir ride back included time on a ferry, which they said was really cool..

Their well traveled bikes were loaded to the gills...A 95 and a 94, had also carried these two on the Continental Divide Ride and the Trans America Ride...

Sounds like they're going to have to go south for the that Pan American Highway next...

While I'm topping off with gas, they roll for some breakfast and coffee...Another pair of famous KLRs...

Down the road from Spearfish and thru Rapid City....Hwy 44 east across the Badlands....

I pull into Scenic, SD for some water, and meet Twyla....She was a nice lady...I noticed some pics behind her on the wall..

The pics were of her with the famous wrestler Goldberg....Story is, she raised 19 foster kids over the years...One of her foster children is the mother of the wrestler...She was proud that he made the choice to find and know her...

I go outside and its warming up...Hot and windy is the only way to see the Badlands....

I have a few passengers for the next leg of my ride....

From Scenic east on 44, I cross the Conata Basin....The area is at the forefront of a battle between government agencies over prairie dogs...One keeps protecting them, while the other is poisoning them...Both efforts are funded by the tax payer....Talk about screwed-up logic..

The large dog towns are important habitat for the Blackfooted Ferret in this region...In the early 1980s the ferret was though to be extinct, until a small number of them were found...The efforts to sustain the species has been an uphill struggle, with lack of habitat and disease in the dog towns playing a major role in growing the ferret population in the wild.

On down the road to the east, crossing the Reservation...

Off the Res and down the road, I spend the afternoon putting this scene behind me...Good place for some triple digit travel....Until a large grasshopper hits you in the ray bans....

I spent the last 100 miles on the slab....

Don't ride the slab in Nebraska if you can help it...Our Brilliant state government and roads department are spraying a black tar coating over the chuck-hole filled interstate...

Might be slick when it rains, and is definitely hard to see shit laying in the road at night....

Since home has been the road for most of the month, here I am at my other home....End of the Trail.....Enjoyed the ride...

Headed north to Alberta with the Serpa in a couple weeks.....See ya on the road.

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 08-23-2008 at 07:48 AM
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #64
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill

Headed north to Alberta with the Serpa in a couple weeks.....See ya on the road.
Get a job slacker!!

Great report. Thanks for taking us along.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #65
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

ok

I will work for time off, if you know anybody that is hiring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
Get a job slacker!!

Great report. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #66
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,959
Welcome home! Alberta? You suck.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #67
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Work trip to Alberta

The trip north, I will be working...

Have You fished the Clear Water River for steelhead before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder
Welcome home! Alberta? You suck.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #68
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
The trip north, I will be working...

Have You fished the Clear Water River for steelhead before?
Nope. One of these years......
Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #69
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,521
Think Bill could work the santa gig at Yonkers this xmas.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #70
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Riding schedule won't permit that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee
Think Bill could work the santa gig at Yonkers this xmas.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #71
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Could be from a Magna huh That guy WISHES he had 3 V65's in the back of that boat

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #72
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

That would look a little different....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
Could be from a Magna huh That guy WISHES he had 3 V65's in the back of that boat