Oddometer: 320
Great RR Oscar. More! More!
Southernmost_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #62
Drowsy Dave
Square Peg, No Hole

Oddometer: 1,284
I'm so jealous. You guys suck.

How are the water crossings in MS, and AR compared to TN? I know from experience the ones in Tennessee are not to be trifled with.
Drowsy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #63
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,430
Wow. I'm kind of impressed with the Oklahoma scenery. It's got more topography than Flatistan!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #64
rider1150gsadv OP
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,911
Talking

Thanks guys!!!

Eastern OK is very nice as it still has the hills. Western OK is a different animal. It does beat Flatistan, but don't quite knock this State as we do have some very nice riding area's too.

In as far as the water crossings go, we mostly took it very easy and usually got of the bikes and checked it out before rolling through. We skipped parts of TN on our trip as, I hate to say it, got bored with riding the pavement and the diversions just to get to a mile of dirt. Consequently we didn't do any water crossing that I remember there...
TN is really nice though and I still would ride there but only if time is not an issue.

rider1150gsadv screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 02:12 PM
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #65
rider1150gsadv OP

TAT Tracks

Out of respect for Sam, I have removed the TAT tracks from this RR.
I didn't realize it could cause issues later on.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #66
Master prune
G-S'tacy

Oddometer: 53
Your shirt

Great RR! thanks for the work you put into it. I did notice that you sometimes wear an armored shirt when you remove your sleeves. I've been considering this as I am very sensitive to heat and often don't ride because I believe in ATGATT but it's just so friggn' hot. I searched Acerbis for this "shirt" but didn't find it. Can you tell me what it's called and maybe where I can find it. Also, what kind of bike to bike comm. if any, did you use and what's your take on it. Thanks

R12GS wasted 2yrs dreamin about it.
Master prune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #67
rider1150gsadv OP

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master prune
Great RR! thanks for the work you put into it. I did notice that you sometimes wear an armored shirt when you remove your sleeves. I've been considering this as I am very sensitive to heat and often don't ride because I believe in ATGATT but it's just so friggn' hot. I searched Acerbis for this "shirt" but didn't find it. Can you tell me what it's called and maybe where I can find it. Also, what kind of bike to bike comm. if any, did you use and what's your take on it. Thanks
The armour suit is an Acerbis Koerta pressure suit. I ride with it all the time when going off road. It saved my hide during my get-off on rivergravel at 30 MPH+. Underneath the Koerta I just wear an quick-dry long sleeved shirt. Sometimes the sleeves come off the BMW jacket if it is warm out.
The list of clothes I carry is short; 3 longsleeve shirts, 1 T shirt, 3 underwear, 3 pair socks, 1 pair of light weight slacks with zip off legs to double as shorts, 1 longsleeve button up shirt (one of my fishing shirts) and swimtrunks that is about it. All of it is the quick dry stuff. Hope it helps.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #68
rider1150gsadv OP

Bluhduh Sunday July 6th..... a black day....

So we had checked into the Best Western the previous night, where a desk clerk couldn't help herself commenting on the stink we emitted .
To be honest, we did need a bath and a round of laundry. After having done all that, we gave the bikes some much needed attention too and this is where it all went downhill for me.

Walking back from the breakfast area, I noticed that the rear wheel on my bike was tilted sideways a few degrees. I thought that the FD bearing had given out . It turned out to be the FD pivot bearings. A few months prior to the trip I had replaced the OEM bearings with the bushings from Rubberchicken garage, in an attempt to avoid this very problem haunting me in the middle of a trip...

John just needed a minor repair on his chain oiler...

I on the other hand had to deal with the more serious issue of the pivot bearings...
The squeak that was present for a while turned out to be those bronze bushings that were supposed to be better. One would think that I would have seen this earlier, but I didn't. I think that the severe wear and tear really happened during the last couple hundred miles that were rough (Warloop ) and fast. I just never felt anything in the rear of the bike untill we were in OK.
To their credit, JL engineering did send me replacements overnight, but it still took till Tuesday to get them, as of course this stuff happens on a Sunday...

FD off the swing arm..

The wrecked bushings..Not visible in the pics is that they are out of round.

This was the first time in over 100K miles I had an issue with a bike. Never ever even had as much as a flat tire. I guess it was my time to meet Murphy, although I could have done without it....

Sadly it was a crucial turning point for my riding partner, as he was running out of time.......John went to see some family for a day, as hanging around isn't what either of us wanted to do...
At least I had booze , stogies and a pool to sit by....

The only bright note was that later that day, some fellow Flatistan Advriders showed up to keep me company!!
They were on the TAT also and we compared some notes...

Flatistan inmates...

To be Cont'd...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #69
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Walking up warloop to help the kid that just crashed

On his was, no front brake lever

Oscar at the end of Warloop road!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #70
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Ozark National Forest

I've seen this pic in about every TAT report (unless they skipped AR)

Lunch time

Oscar emerges from the tree.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #71
rider1150gsadv OP

Wink Monday July 7th - Tuesday July 8th

Thanks for the pics and vid's John!!

A vid of Ozark NF

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=034e0dcb.pbr

Monday,

With John off to see his family, there was not much I did this day, other than helping out my friends from Florida with their trailer issues. After loading 5 bikes on the trailer, they were off to Trinidad CO. That done, I spent the day repacking and repairing some other minor breakages and watching some TV...
John showed back up in the PM and we went for dinner in town.

Tuesday.

At 9:30 AM Fedex showed up with my package. It took little time to put it all back together and at about 11 AM John and I said our goodbye's as he headed South, while I slabbed West.

Stopped for lunch in Lamont OK

Hit a patch of bad weather between Lamont and Guymon OK...
It looked a bit like tornado weather...

Stopped for the night in Guymon OK, cheap motel, after about 300 miles. I turned in early, as the next day I was planning to get to Trinidad and continue to ride the TAT again...

To be Cont'd..
Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #72
rider1150gsadv OP

Talking Back on Track!!

After a good night rest and all mechanicals taken care of, I left Guymon OK for Trinidad CO. The trip in OK was quite windy and I think I leaned the bike over in the wind for a few hundred miles.

Just as I was getting ready to start on the trail again, low and behold the 'gang' from S.Florida showed up..
They were amazed at the speed with which I had caught up, as they had left a day ahead of me.. I guess trailering wasn't as fast as they thought..
The weather was stunning with temps around 80F. Just right for a ride!!

Lunch was had at Gunny's grill located in the back of Papa Joe's General Store in Gardner CO. Funny thing as I work out of a Papa Joe's Marina in the Fla. Keys....
The food was inexpensive and very very good.
There was a small problem with a missing wallet, but after two of the intrepid Flatistaners backtracked the route, the missing delinquent was retrieved. Good Karma after a few frayed nerves..

Some wildlife on the way..

Group pic

Great views around..

The road ahead..

We ended up riding to Westcliff and after a little food and beer at an Irish pub...stayed the night as I was pooped doing 400 miles that day...

To be Cont'd
Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #73
rider1150gsadv OP

Thumb July 10

Awoke with a temp of 48F
Today ended up being a short but beautiful ride into Salida by way of Cotopaxi..

Along the road.

One of many cattle guards..

Many old homesteads around

The rockies are getting closer..

And closer...

As we were done riding at 11 AM, I decided to get a new rear tire in CO Springs as the trail ahead was going to be tough. We could not ride Tomichi and Hancock Passes as they were snowed in. So off I went from Salida to CO Springs and back, just a 200 mile round trip that went fast and uneventful. I replaced the tire at the motel in Salida. Just 300 miles for the day incl the tire trip..
The new tire proved to be a blessing the next day.....

L8R
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #74
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
ok, im in

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #75
rider1150gsadv OP

Talking July 7th

Left Salida at 8:30 AM and headed for Lake City. This was another great day weatherwise and the scenery as usual in CO is somewhat overwhelming in a good way ...
First I had to look at this different mode of transportation as this vehicle had shown up the previous night....

A fully restored '57 Chevy. The proud owners had it restored over a number of years and had owned the car for 30 years...

Anyway back on the trail toward Marshall Pass..

Near Cathedral..

Plenty of run-off from the massive snow this past winter.

After Lake City, I split off from the group and decided to ride to Silverton over
Cinnamon and California Passes... There still was a lot of snow and the roads were very rough....

The road ahead..

I just parked the bike against the snow/ice mass and had some fun...

Cinnamon Pass...

Toward California Pass..

Selfportrait..

Mining is visible all over the area....

Going to California Pass....

It gets a bit tricky as the road is very rough..

That zig-zag line is the way to the top...

The top...

Alpine lake near the top.. It was spectacularly blue and probably barely above freezing...

Silverton

I didn't do Corkscrew as the weather was threatening and I didn't feel like being up there by myself as it was time for a B'day celebration with a stogie and an adult beverage ...
I rode to Ouray and stayed at the Matterhorn Hotel for some R&R in the hottub...

To be Cont'd....