User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #76
SgtNapalm
ADV'er

Oddometer: 279
Nice pictures, good ride.

This one looks like the Ocoee River, just west of Ducktown?

-sgt
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #77
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtNapalm
Nice pictures, good ride.

This one looks like the Ocoee River, just west of Ducktown?

-sgt
i was going to to say it looked like the Ocee river as well but i don't remember the flags. i just remember the rock that had a smiley face on it. i'd love to make it back up there one day.

i'm gluded to this report.... keep it coming! i hope to do TAT soon.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #78
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Talking

Yes it is Ocoee right where the Olympic kayak races were held during the Atlanta Games.

Couple more pics.

rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #79
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

July 12 and the end of the TAT trail..

After a good night at the hotel and the hot tub US 550 led be back to the trail as Ophir Pass was next. This trail leads from Silverton to Telluride. Actually the trail is closer to Ouray. The 550 was/is being repaved which was a pita to deal with but the road is so nice now.. Just mind the LEO's...

Steep grades but much smoother than the previous passes..

The top...

Traffic jam at the top...
Actually there was room for only one vehicle at a time as there must have been a rock slide or two in the winter...

Looking back toward Ouray.

Looking toward Telluride.

An alpine lake near the town of Ophir.

Just west of Ophir Pass. The road is narrow, steep and filled with sharp rocks..

A small water X-ing..

Ophir

As I stopped in Telluride, I was planning on staying in the town park to camp but there was a 'festival' going on and all the camp spots could only be had if you bought tickets to the Led Zeppelin concert...
I don't do blackmail very well, so I wished those folks all the best and rode of to the KOA in Ouray. It turned out that the organizers didn't sell many tickets, as I was not the only one pissed off at this.
It was the first time that I stayed at the Ouray KOA and the BBQ is most excellent and here I stayed for two nights and made the decision to stop riding the TAT.

I decided to head north to Cody WY and ride Beartooth, see the sights there and go to the BMWMOA national in Gillette, the TOR in Paonia and do the Barber Vintage motorcycle museum on the way home, which I did.
I will finish the ride next year but later in the season when the temps are more tolerable.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #80
PhilLynot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Fantastic report! I am kind of curious, though, as to how well the Givi bags sustained the off-road pounding on the Tiger. I once had a Givi saddlebag fall off on pavement.

How did they work out?
PhilLynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #81
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Talking

The Givi's held up really well, as John didn't drop his bike... but aside from that, the mounting points seem to be strong and the bags never fell off either.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #82
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
My hat is off to you guys doing this on the big bikes. Fanstastic pictures and report. I don't know how you had time to do the photos in some of those places.
I did the start of Arkansas in '99 on my DR350SE with camping gear only to be turned about hitting very hard rains near the 23 crossing. Have to be more careful running solo on this stuff. Came back months later on my new 00 KLR650 and finished Arkansas and Ok.
I was so glad that I was not lost going down Warloop. I just didn't think I would be able to ride it uphill without a lot of walking beside the bike to get it over the drop offs.
Don't you just love the kids that don't know your not suppose to do that and do it anyway?

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)

achesley screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 07:36 AM
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #83
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynot
How did they work out?
The Givis worked out well. The bags didn't meet with terra firma this trip but had previously. A scratch about an inch long was the only damage, 2 up with the tiger on dirt, must of been close to 1k lbs on top of the bag, it was a great slider. No damage to the Givi rack.

I did loose a topbox offroad. The universal plate didn't have enough support from the stock rack. Moved it forward and no further issues. Must of had 25lbs in the bag (tools) as it seperated from the bike after bottoming the suspension. HTSROcker was surprised to see it bouncing down the trail in front of him!

I would recommend them over aluminum or soft bags. The rounded geometry of the bags spread out the forces of an impact. They are waterproof to an extreme. There is a video on the web of guy tying his three boxes together and using em as a raft!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #84
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
My hat is off to you guys doing this on the big bikes. Fantastic pictures and report. Don't you just love the kids that don't know your not suppose to do that and do it anyway?
Thanks!!!
The big bikes were a handful in some spots, but mostly were perfect for the trip and I would do it again now that I know that the bike is set up right....

To be young again like that kid...
It was cool to see his reaction upon finding two dudes and their big bikes on that road..
Old 08-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #85
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Good trip report, enjoyed very much. Now , sure hope you are safe and this storm hitting south Fla. is in no way a threat to you , Hang in there Oscar.

I was sorry to hear about your bike problems, on our return from AK the final drive decided to explode near West Yellowstone. I am sure the deep hole I hit on a pavement break just before the Yukon River crossing did the damage. OH WELL>

Thanks again for the report

keep smiling, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #86
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T.
Good trip report, enjoyed very much. Now , sure hope you are safe and this storm hitting south Fla. is in no way a threat to you , Hang in there Oscar.

I was sorry to hear about your bike problems, on our return from AK the final drive decided to explode near West Yellowstone. I am sure the deep hole I hit on a pavement break just before the Yukon River crossing did the damage. OH WELL>

Thanks again for the report

keep smiling, gale
Thanks Gale!! Sorry to hear about your FD trouble as the main bearing is a more serious issue than pivot bearings...

The storm here, was nothing more than some rain and wind and minor damage to trees. No biggie unless you believe the media hype...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #87
PhilLynot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Thanks. I've got Givi's on my 1150gs and I was wondering how they would hold up (I did the TAT last year on a DR650 with aluminum panniers). Your experience matched my expectations. I figured the saddlebags would be okay in most situations (except really rocky stuff), but the top case would be more vulnerable. And if you crash at speed . .. . all bets are off. I doubt I would want to take the Givi's on rockier mountain passes where multiple drops are possible.

I've been on the fence about investing in Jesse's, but you've inspired me to keep the Givi bags for now!
PhilLynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #88
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Talking

Givi's are good from what I have seen so far, but when stuff needs to be repaired the Zegas, IMHO, are very easy to fix. I just finished repairing the bashed TT Zega and it took about one hour, 1 torch, 1 hammer, $5,= in rivets, some Goop and a beer...

From what I have seen thus far, a case that is too sturdy and doesn't give, by flexing or coming off in a crash, may have the potential to bust the bike frame and that is the worst scenario...

Ps: John, I found a small rock inside that case from the fall...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #89
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Great to hear you were able to repair the Zega. Have you been able to get the frame straightened? I was surprised to see how much it was damaged by the fall.

A pig is a pig!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #90
rider1150gsadv OP
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Laugh

The way the box was 'redesigned' made it look like the frame was bent but it isn't..
You're right about the pig though, I wouldn't miss is for the world however..