Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
mickycito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
South America Top 10 Rides

10 TOP RIDES: SOUTH AMERICA
I love South America and felt I should compile a list of my top ten rides in the incredibly diverse and exciting continent of South America.

South America still remains larely unexplored by todays adventure riders. There is hardly a corner of the world that hasn’t been explored to death or a road that hasn’t been trampled by a million bikers before, South America is screaming out to be “discovered”. Undertake one of these rides and the experience will stay with you forever. It has for me. Do you have a Top 10 ride in South America that I dont have on my list. Maybe its in my top 20!

Π10 SACRED VALLEY
Π9 HUARAZ
Π8 SERRA RIO DO RASTRO
Π7 COROICO
Π6 SEVEN LAKES DRIVE
Π5 UYUNI TO SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
Π4 COSTA VERDE
Π3 CAMINO AUSTRAL
Π2 RUTA 40
Π1 TORRES DEL PAINE

Number 10 SACRED VALLEY.
Where: PERU
Begins: CUSCO
Ends: OLLYTAYTAMBO
Beginning in the ancient Incan capital of Cusco the ride climbs sharply out of town and passes the first group of Incan ruins of Sacsayhuaman before winding and twisting its way through the Andes to Pisac located at the head of the Urubamba valley.
The ride continues onto ollytaytambo across the valley floor bordered each side by incredibly steep sided mountains with views of the snow capped peaks in the distance. From “olly” it’s a train ride to one of the world’s most recognised sights, Machu Picchu. The sight of this stupendous ruin will blow you away.

Number 9 HUARAZ
Where: PERU
Begins: HUARAZ
Ends: CHIMBOTE
The ride takes you along some of the highest mountains in South America, from Huaraz you can see 23 snow capped peaks all over 5000m. The road continues north through the Cordillera Blanca with staggering mountain scenery all around before reaching Caraz. From Caraz you descend toward the Pacific but not before riding through the spectacular Canon del Pato where you pass under massive walls of bare rock and 36 tunnels. The ride continues onto Chimbote at sea level on the Pacific.
Number 8 SERRA RIO DO RASTRO
Where: BRASIL
Begins: SAO JOAQUIM
Ends: BOM JARDIN DO SERRA
Ride this amazing mountainous region of southern Brazil. The ride begins in Soa Joaquim and finishes in Bom Jardin do Serra passing through Araucaria forests as the road clings to the mountainside as it winds and twists its way down the valley. If twisting roads with numerous hairpin bends and a sheer drop is your thing you will love this ride.

Number 7 COROICO
Where: BOLIVIA
Begins: LA PAZ
Ends: COROICO

Often referred to as “the most dangerous road in the world” this incredible road drops over 3000m in 80 ks. Starting in La Paz the road circles skywards and crosses the La Cumbre pass at a dizzying 4725m, all around are towering snow-capped peaks. The “good” road soon ends and you are on dirt all the way down to the semi-tropical forests of the Yungas, all that in 80ks. This isn't a ride for novices, it is impossibly narrow and when you meet an oncoming truck or bus the rider must stop, alarmingly close to a vertical drop, safety barriers on this road are considered a silly extravegence and one mistake will mean death.

Number 6 SEVEN LAKES DRIVE
Where: ARGENTINA
Begins: SAN MARTIN DE LOS ANDES
Ends: BARILOCHE
The road that “Che” passed through on riding La Poderosa 11” an old 1932 Norton. This is one of the world famous rides that some bikers may know of. A dirt road that passes through the stunning Nahuel Huapi National Park. Crystal clear rivers, stunning alpine lakes and towering snow capped peaks all feature on this ride. You eventually hit the pavement again and follow the shoreline of the magnificent 100k long glacial lake of Nahuel Huapi to Bariloche, scenically set at the foot of Cerro Otto. Do yourself a favour and take your time on this one maybe even camp lakeside at one of the seven alpine lakes. Its magnificent.

Number 5 UYUNI to SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
Where: BOLIVIA / CHILE
Begins: UYUNI
Ends: SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
This ride has to be one of the most extreme, remote, yet visually stunning rides anywhere on earth. It is imperative that no-one travels this way alone. You ride across the biggest salt pans in the world, the Salar de Uyuni. Riding across these flats is a fantastic, if not slightly hallucinogenic experience; it is as if you are in another world. You pass by Laguna Colorado then Laguna Verde some of Bolivia’s most spectacular and remote sights. The ride is staggering in its beauty and remoteness; you cross a 5000m pass, ride amongst volcanoes, geysers and pass numerous Flamingo filled lagoons on the way to the adobe village of San Pedro in the Atacama Desert of Chile. Remember don’t try this ride alone, some people have tried and died.

Number 4 COSTA VERDE
Where: BRASIL
Begins: BERTIOGA
Ends: ITAGUAI

Often described as one of the worlds most beautiful highways, the BR 101 travels south from Rio de Janeiro hugging the forested Emerald coast allowing views of white, palm fringed, sandy beaches from the steep passes, before dropping down to the beachside itself. Beautiful little red roofed villages cram into protected bays that are dotted with tropical islands. The ride passes the wonderful colonial town of Paraty whose entire cobblestone centre has been declared a national monument. The nearby beaches are absolutely stunning. Get off your bike and spend a day on a Schooner sailing the clear calm waters of the countless bays. This ride is a tropical wonderland.

Number 3 CAMINO AUSTRAL
Where: CHILE
Begins: PUERTO MONTT
Ends: PUERTO YUNGAY

This is a region of Fjords, mountains, glaciers and rare forests, but be prepared to get wet, very wet. The region experiences over 2000ml of rain per year, but the ride is worth it for the unbelievable scenery. The road is referred to as “Camino Ripio” or “paved with gravel” and you will be riding amongst stunning fjords, past waterfalls, turquoise lakes, hanging glaciers and icefields before stopping off at one of the few small communities surviving in the wonderfully remote part of Chile. Don’t worry about the wet, you will dry out.

Number 2 RUTA 40
Where: ARGENTINA
Begins: SALTA
Ends: USHUAIA

Technically speaking this legendary road RUTA NACIONAL 40 starts in Salta, Northern Argentina and finishes in Rio Gallegos in the South of Argentina and becomes RUTA 3 on Tierra del Fuego, but for the purposes of this list we shall include the ride to the very end of the road at Ushuaia as RUTA 40. This is “the mother road” of South America and has it all, but primarily we are concerned with it as it cross the lonely windswept vastness of the near mythical Patagonia. The rider will have to contend with ferocious winds and vast distances on “ripio” riding through the lands of expansive Estancias, sweeping views and a horizon that seems to go on forever. Those who stick it out will be amply rewarded as they cross onto Tierra Del Fuego and ride the stunning mountain region riding to the very end of the Pan American Highway and RUTA 40 in Tierra Del Fuego National Park, just south of Ushuaia. This is a ride of accomplishments.

NUMBER 1 TORRES DEL PAINE
Where: CHILE
Begins: TORRES DEL PAINE
Ends: TORRES DEL PAINE
The deserved number one ride on the South American continent is, in our opinion, the stunningly beautiful Torres Del Paine National Park. The 180,000 ha UNESCO bio-sphere Park has been described as a mini Alaska and is crammed with soaring granite peaks, royal blue icebergs, turquoise lakes, glaciers and wandering wildlife. Every corner presents a scenic wonder and you will be awestruck by the sunrise over the towers (Torres) as the view is reflected off Lake Pehoe. It will take you at least three days to explore all corners of this jewel in the Patagonian crown. Riding here will leave you with memories that will stay with you forever.

mickycito screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 11:18 PM
mickycito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
BMWRC
Nuckin' Futs!

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickycito
10 TOP RIDES: SOUTH AMERICA
I love South America and felt I should compile a list of my top ten rides in the incredibly diverse and exciting continent of South America.

This is timely... I'm putting the finishing touches on our plans. We start our trip in 35 days.

Thank you

BMWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
BRILLIANT!! Absolutely brilliant!! Thanks for putting this together for us ADVer's. WE should all start similar threads for our respective countries/continents.

Than You

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Very helpful! But you might want to mention that Ruta 40 is not for the squeamish...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,056
I can not believe I rode all the way to Ushuaia and somehow missed most of the Top 10. Ugh. Now I have to do it again.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
BMWRC
Nuckin' Futs!

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Very helpful! But you might want to mention that Ruta 40 is not for the squeamish...
.... in what way?

BMWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRC
.... in what way?

Lots of nothing...

Lots of wind...

A couple of the rides mentioned above are in here
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Pockethead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
This is such a good thread... I've added some of these places to my itinerary

Free GPS/GPS Tracking using your mobile phone and google maps

“Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place that it’s drawn to. I don’t suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway.” - Ian Hibell
Pockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
I am not going to say this is the top 10 for my country, they are just a couple and I know more people can add the rest.

For Mexico I would say

a) BAJA, from NOrth to South, dirt on one side, Sea of Cortez on the other, and cactus all the way.

b) Cooper Canyon. Just one deep, big Canyon.

c) Espinazo del Diablo. Somewhere between Mazatlan and Durango there are a couple hundred kilometers fill with 1000's of curves and cliff and stuff made for bikes, just be carefull with the 18 wheelers

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Robson Jaborá/SC
Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer: 577
Hi,

I just want to tell about another road, next Serra do Rio do Rastro, that is called, Serra do Corvo Branco.

You can go by Urubici (the coldest city in Brazil) to Grão Pará.

There are some pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com.br/rgpar...erras092007_3#

Regards,
Jaborá, SC - Brasil
Robson Jaborá/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
cruthas
AdvMotorcyclist Counselor

Oddometer: 235
Great thread, keep it coming. I am headed out Novermber 1st and would like to get more information on different routes throughout Central, and South America. keep' um comin'!

www.mototheworld.com
<-------- My Journey

My Moto Video Diaries Part I

My Moto Video Diaries Part II

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
1995 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Honda CB750
1998 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
cruthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
peru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
the 7 wonders of Peru

Las Siete Maravillas que el Perú eligió son:
  • BAÑOS DEL INCA
  • BOSQUE DE PIEDRAS DE HUAYLLAY
  • GRAN PAJATEN
  • KUELAP
  • LOS FRAILONES
  • VALLE DEL ALTO MAYO ( I live here )
  • VALLE DEL COLCA
Attached Images

peru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
Charles Seguin
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Eek Death Road

Can anyone give me more info on the "Death Road" in Bolivia? I have heard that it is mostly tourists on bicycles now that they have made a bypass... has anyone done this road recently?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Cool thread.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Red 5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
GPS Tracks for the Top 10?

Does anyone happen to have GPS tracks for the Top 10 South America rides listed above? I'm currently in Quito and we're planning on hitting a few of them.
Thanks,
Jordan.

2000 F650GS Dakar

Gone but not forgotten:
1998 F650
2005 R1200GS
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote