ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #481
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,860
I was up in the area yesterday. Very muddy. Give it at least a week. 2 would be better. It's very late this year. There was still snow in places.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 07:47 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #482
RidingUpAndDown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfer View Post
i was hoping to play hooky from work in the next week or so and have a go at it.

hammer, i was thinkin the same.

I was out there on the 400 2 wks ago, much was still frozen and some was closed and undoable w/out a sno machine. But if u didn't mind recalculating some go-arounds there was plenty of stuff for an ADVenture. I was gonna head out very soon on the 1200 and see wassup.
I'm in worc, pm me if u'd like to try and connect for a run out there.

Cheers, d
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #483
hammerfer

Oddometer: 92
nice, i'll let you know. probably not this week, but maybe next week/first weekend in May?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingUpAndDown View Post
hammer, i was thinkin the same.

I was out there on the 400 2 wks ago, much was still frozen and some was closed and undoable w/out a sno machine. But if u didn't mind recalculating some go-arounds there was plenty of stuff for an ADVenture. I was gonna head out very soon on the 1200 and see wassup.
I'm in worc, pm me if u'd like to try and connect for a run out there.

Cheers, d
hammerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #484
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Anyone want to do some of or all of this this weekend? My wifes out of town for the weekend, don't want the opportunity to go to waste. I'll be on a ktm 1190 adv r with conti trail attacks, so nothing too crazy for me.

I did a few hundred miles in north western MA this past weekend, and the few seasonal dirt roads I hit up were in good shape.
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #485
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I was out on the northern section over the weekend. The roads that are more commonly traveled were good. The others had some muddy spots or soft ground. Maybe 10% of the roads were a bit muddy. Keep in mind this was at lower elevations and didn't involve any Class IV stuff.

Should be a good weekend to get out and ride, with maybe a couple turnarounds.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #486
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up View Post
I was out on the northern section over the weekend. The roads that are more commonly traveled were good. The others had some muddy spots or soft ground. Maybe 10% of the roads were a bit muddy. Keep in mind this was at lower elevations and didn't involve any Class IV stuff.

Should be a good weekend to get out and ride, with maybe a couple turnarounds.

Hey! I was just checking out your youtube vids.... I went down this road in Rowe called Tunnel road last weekend, I started at a sketchy bridge that went over Deerfield river, and had to wait 10 minutes for a train to pass by while this old dog was sniffing me up. I could only make it about a 3rd the way until I had to turn back, I'm on a big ADV with not so aggressive tires, and I was alone and it was MUDDY, with steep wet rocky switchbacks! Whats the deal with this place? There was a rusty sign that was spray painted that said Tunnel road, and my GPS had it shown also tunnel road, but its not easily passable with anything bigger than a 450 it seems. There's no way a jeep could do that road, at least the section I was in. It also looked like it wasn't used in years. I want to go back with my little bike to do more exploring.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #487
RidingUpAndDown
Gnarly Adventurer

Tmt

I did 45 miles on the TMT today; from Rt 183, near the CT border, and going North. It was in pretty descent shape, I did two easy re-routes, one a Road closed sign and another a very small track that looked dicey and with the big Super Tenere wearing embarrassingly worn K60s plus being solo I just didn't want to risk that one.

I did lots of dirt that was in good shape and it was all a good adventure. The gravel roads that are maintained haven't been graded yet but the previously muddy sections have had crushed rock applied and those are now easily passable. I saw almost no standing h20 and much is quite dry now otherwise it's just damp enuf to keep the dust down.

I also did abt 20 miles of dirt on the southern section of the PDR yesterday, from the Green River and up, and it was also in very good shape. They are grading up there now and I ran into two graders doing different sections, lucking not deep but just scratching the surface and was able to pass ok. Otherwise I was surprised how dry and in shape things were.

GO for it, it's definitely ADVenture time.

Cheers, d

RidingUpAndDown screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 06:16 PM
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #488
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
Hey! I was just checking out your youtube vids.... I went down this road in Rowe called Tunnel road last weekend, I started at a sketchy bridge that went over Deerfield river, and had to wait 10 minutes for a train to pass by while this old dog was sniffing me up. I could only make it about a 3rd the way until I had to turn back, I'm on a big ADV with not so aggressive tires, and I was alone and it was MUDDY, with steep wet rocky switchbacks! Whats the deal with this place? There was a rusty sign that was spray painted that said Tunnel road, and my GPS had it shown also tunnel road, but its not easily passable with anything bigger than a 450 it seems. There's no way a jeep could do that road, at least the section I was in. It also looked like it wasn't used in years. I want to go back with my little bike to do more exploring.
Tunnel Road is very tough. I have done it on my 650, but only from the opposite way. It has some very steep stuff and one vicious drop that I would not want to do on anything bigger than my 650. If you fall there on a big bike you will be buying parts. There is also all Nature Sanctuary all through there so don't stray.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #489
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
Hey! I was just checking out your youtube vids.... I went down this road in Rowe called Tunnel road last weekend, Whats the deal with this place?
I'm sure others can fill in more information, perhaps on the history. Yes, it's an old road, but with all the boulders it's hard to imagine anything but a horse passed through there. If you look on youtube you'll see videos of Jeeps and other lifted 4WD's making it through some of those tough sections. Bikes make it through there too; excellent riders on smaller machines.

You came in on the south side, which as you said is rideable on a big bike for a little while. The north end has some old ruins by the Bear Swamp and the ride up there is pretty good on a big dual sport.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #490
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Are there a lot of roads like tunnel road out in Western Mass? I literally just stumbled upon it as I was looking for some dirt roads to play on. They look like a ton of fun for my little bike. I'm really tempted to put on some more aggressive tires and try it with my big bike too... just not alone.

Anyway, anyone want to meet up somewhere in central/western MA and go for a day ride (on not so aggressive trails) one day this weekend?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #491
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingUpAndDown View Post
I did 45 miles on the TMT today; from Rt 183, near the CT border, and going North. It was in pretty descent shape, I did two easy re-routes, one a Road closed sign ...
From our ride on the TMT last year, it seemed like there were a lot of Road Closed signs in this area of Western MA on dirt roads that were not really closed. No gates or bars or impassable sections. I don't know if people in the area get sick of having to haul cars out of the woods, or what the reasoning behind these signs is, but most were very passable. So. unless it was one of those mud season, seasonal closure signs, like "Closed Mar thru May" or some such, you might want to ride in and see for yourself.

Maybe an inmate local to the area has the skinny on these signs?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #492
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think you are right about not wanting to haul cars out of there. I think it goes to not maintaining the roads in the winter and trying to keep people out until after mud season. Easier to maintain the roads come spring if they are not all rutted. Oftentimes the Road Closed signs stay up all year long. I've never had an issue traveling on them.

Regarding Tunnel Road...that is more of an anomaly. You can travel all day on cruiser dirt roads and Class IVs in Franklin and Berkshire County and never run across another road like that.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #493
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
following thread,
wanting to try that tunnel rd on the klx!!
Jofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #494
RidingUpAndDown
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad;23998960}
...Anyway, anyone want to meet up somewhere in central/western MA and go for a day ride (on not so aggressive trails) one day this weekend?
I have plans for Sat but right now Sunday looks like it might be clear altho maybe cooler, I could possibly get out for a ride.

pm and lmk if interested.

Cheers, d
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #495
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'm gonna be in western mass killing turkeys this Sunday thru Wed and am gonna try to hit that tunnel rd on my klx if anyone is interested in joining me,? I've never been there, but definitely want to give it a try.

Mon and Tues afternoon would probably be best for me.
Jofa is offline   Reply With Quote