ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #76
TheSaint2284
New Guy

Oddometer: 5
I did the southern leg of the trail, CT to Old Rt 9 on July 24th and the road conditions were fine.

Some areas of washout on the sides, but nothing bad. As long as there is not another car/truck coming the other direction you will be fine.

But, this is my first time doing the trail so I am not sure if these conditions are new or old.

Thanks Hulked Up for your work on the route

Here are some pictures from my trip.

I traveled down Route 8, I believe, to the starting point in CT.

I stopped at the Colebrook Rive Dam which was great, and worth a stop.

View from atop the dam.

Stopped at the VFW in CT after seeing a M110A2 Howitzer at the side of the road.

Stopped for a break/photo op along the TMT

Some of the road conditions

Ended at Old Route 9, a lighting storm was rolling through and it was getting late.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #77
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Here's a .gpx file of my trip that includes Hulked Up's TMT.
Thanks by the way

It starts in Red Hook, NY, past Bash Bish Falls, Joins the TMT, connects to the PDR and goes to Woodstock, VT. I marked each turn with a way point instead of creating a route. (My old 176 doesnt handle routes very well.)
We made it from Red Hook to Jamaica State Park in VT in one day. Camped in Jamaica ( Nice park w/ stream) and continued. Enjoy !!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CN-MA-VT dirt.gpx (436.6 KB, 209 views)
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
edfetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #78
rdhj
NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz
Thanks by the way

It starts in Red Hook, NY, past Bash Bish Falls, Joins the TMT, connects to the PDR and goes to Woodstock, VT. I marked each turn with a way point instead of creating a route. (My old 176 doesnt handle routes very well.)
We made it from Red Hook to Jamaica State Park in VT in one day. Camped in Jamaica ( Nice park w/ stream) and continued. Enjoy !!
Do you have any pics of the kinds of roads you were on..I'm looking for mostly dirt roads and cool scenery
rdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #79
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

I do have some pics. Most of the Mass. part of the route is in the trees. Not many sweeping vistas. It follows nice streams in places. There are some covered bridges, a few pastures, nice old houses. Definatly worth the time. Ill post a few pics later when Im home.
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #80
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
road names for the trans mass trail

a little help here....please

I do not have a GPS and don't plan on getting once since I don't even have a cell phone so I travel by old fashioned maps. By going through most of the posts on the Trans Mass Trail I have picked up on the names of some of the main roads involved however I assume not all. Does anyone out there have the trail description written down so I could follow it that way instead of GPS? I plan on doing the route on 9-19-09 if anyone is interested in tagging along. North to south or south to north, it doesn't matter to me.

scooterboyusa
central mass
scooterboyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #81
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
If you wait an extra week I'd ride with you(with my gps). I need a new chain and sprockets on my bike so it will be a little while till I get her sorted out.
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #82
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
alcontrast

Unfortunately I have a commitment on the 26th and 27th that I can't get out of. I appreciate the offer!

scooterboyusa
scooterboyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #83
BX DS
Great googly-moogly

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz
Thanks by the way

sweet. thanks for all the info guys.

I'll be looking to do this route, and then continue on towards Portland sometime in the next 3 weeks.

let me know if anyone wants to join in on all or part of the fun.
BX DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #84
Rovernutt
The best 1x2xfar?

Oddometer: 13
Another GPX

Thanks to a bout of Bells' Palsy, my riding has been zero recently. Sluggish/hard blinky of left eye causing dry eye is aggravated by moving air. Anyhoo, the missus & I ventured out in the Discovery on Saturday to recce the trail. The route we took is 90% dirt & the paved sections are GS-worthy. There was some "creative navigation" aka missed turns, but still a fun outing.

The end of the trail (an "unmaintained town road") started to become iffy - with dusk & rain falling, I wasn't in the mood for a solo winch-fest. I'd be curious if anyone has done this part - a potential "hero" section?

TMT_track.gpx

Crossing the Pike
http://picasaweb.google.com/rovernut...97708525257154

Early Fall colors
http://picasaweb.google.com/rovernut...97714275171410

One good turn deserves another
http://picasaweb.google.com/rovernut...97724240216834

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #85
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

So you're talking about right when you cross over to Vermont? I remember a dirt road in the shade of pine trees along a trout stream. A road name sign and speed limit sign nailed to a tree marked the border. I remember this spot because I was watching the GPS for the VT border and thought it was funny that they nailed the signs to a tree. I don't remember the road being bad.

EDIT : I just compared the files. You were one road East of our route, I suppose on the other side of that stream.

Ed
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires

edfetz screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 08:38 PM
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #86
Rovernutt
The best 1x2xfar?

Oddometer: 13
Edfetz,
I think the road we were on is N Green River Rd - I suspect you were on New Country Rd. The road was ok up to an "informal" shooting-range on the right, perhaps just within VT. [Another reason that I didn't want to hang around too long]. The road shows on Mapsource as a very thin line definitely worth a re-visit.

Tnx for pointing out that it's the VT border - for some reason I had NH in mind.

Gary
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #87
dudleyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Is anyone planning to do this ride in the near future? I would love to try it !!
dudleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #88
Massabusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleyrider
Is anyone planning to do this ride in the near future? I would love to try it !!
I am planning to leave tomorrow and head west through N CT to get near the start at route 8, (it's around 100 miles of back road for me to get to route 8) then follow to somewhere around the VT border to camp for the night.

Then hook up with the VT PDR for Friday and Saturday.

Rain showers likely Friday and Satuday, hopefully this will thin out the leaf-peeper crowd... and allow me to find a tent site Friday night somewhere in mid VT.
Massabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #89
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboyusa
a little help here....please

I do not have a GPS and don't plan on getting once since I don't even have a cell phone so I travel by old fashioned maps. By going through most of the posts on the Trans Mass Trail I have picked up on the names of some of the main roads involved however I assume not all. Does anyone out there have the trail description written down so I could follow it that way instead of GPS? I plan on doing the route on 9-19-09 if anyone is interested in tagging along. North to south or south to north, it doesn't matter to me.

scooterboyusa
central mass
Somewhere on here..I am not sure where.. there was a good layed out map I compared it to google maps and mapquest and made a route sheet..didn't take that long either...I have not tryed it out yet..some of you guys should post in the regional section to try and hook up for a ride..now I see this I will check back..I want to try this loop out...!!
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #90
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
I'd be down for a TMT ride in the near future.. Maybe next weekend? 17th and/or 18th..

what I would probably like to do is start at the southern end in CT and ride north for a day as far as I get.. camp for the night and then ride back south the next day.. ideally get well up into VT but it depends how motivated I or anyone I was riding with would be.. when I/we got started etc..

anyone interested??
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote