ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #91
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Laugh ct-ktm

I have been able to piece this together and have ridden it north to south and south to north without GPS. Needless to say I ended up in some places I've never been before and I tought I knew the Berkshires well. A good route if you have a Saturday or Sunday to kill. I figure 5-6 hours (Vermont to Connecticut) is a good completion time (one way) however I ride a little slow on gravel.
scooterboyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #92
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

dudleyrider

Let me know if you want to rider the TMT before the end of the month. I live in North Brookfield so it would be an easy hook-up.

scooterboyusa
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #93
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,669
I did Milford, CT to lower VT this last Saturday. About a 10 hour round trip (with stops for food and pics). Had no real route planned out, just wanted to hit lower VT and try to get home before it got too dark. It was my first trip on the V-Strom I had bought two weeks before. I was hoping to hit Route 2 in MA with all it's hills and curves but it rained during that section so my fun was ruined (the rain probably saved my life, as I tend to ride beyond my abilities sometimes :). It wasn't peak foliage yet but was getting there. Here's some pics I took along the way.

I discovered there was a road that runs along side of Colebrook River Lake...

Apparently they have problems with flooding ....

I followed Route 8 all the way up to Route 2, took a right and found a place I had been meaning to revisit for years now...

I have never actually eaten there but I had passed this place years ago on a family road-trip at night and saw city lights in the distance below. I knew the view must have been beautiful during the day. Unfortunately I didn't have a wide angle lens and it was cloudy ...

I headed east on Route 2, over the highest point on the Mohawk Trail, passed a few more overlooks and came across this sign...damn rain!

By this time it was getting late in the day and I still wanted to get into VT so I could start heading back. My GPS is an old grayscale model and only shows the major routes. The GPS showed I had to take route 2 all the way to 112 in order to get into VT. It looked like this route went around the mountain range and it actually headed south before going North again. Well, that was too long and circuitous for me so I looked for a road that cut through the mountains and headed directly North into Vermont. I took a chance on Zoar Rd and came across some hidden treasures...

Zoar Rd turns into River Rd and all along this road ran cars with kayaks and trucks with rubber rafts. Apparently there is whitewater rafting operation somewhere in the area. If you look close enough you can see whitewater kayakers above and below the rapids.

Further up the road was a steel bridge I was hoping led to more hidden treasures....

Unfortunately it ended shortly after at some gravel driveways.

Continuing on the road I saw a huge gap in the side of the mountain that was cut out for power-lines. I came across the Bear Swamp visitor center and decided to get a picture with the gap I had seen earlier in the background...

There was an interesting looking bicycle trail running through this visitor center. With the whitewater rafting, kayaking and nice overlooks, I was thinking this area might be good to come back to with the family some day...nah, they wouldn't all fit on the V-Strom.

Farther up the same line I came across an alternative power source... (look on top of the hill).

There were six of these wind generators in total and a nice gravel road that I was hoping would get me closer to them. It didn't but it was still a nice diversion from all the tar I had been on. At the end of the gravel road was a long wooden pipe about as tall in diameter as a man. It almost looked like an amusement park ride. I assume it was some kind of drainage pipe. I thought about taking a picture of the pipe but it was getting late and I was starting to feel rushed to make it home. I'm sure I'll be back up that way again someday to decipher the purpose of the pipes.

I got as far as Bennington, VT and decided I had gone far enough. I started the voyage back home. On the way, I couldn't resist taking one last picture as I came across this ....

Not a fantastic adventure like many of the stories you read on this forum but thought I'd share it anyway.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #94
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Laugh dariusfriedel

Some good pictures! What originally caught my attention was the pictures of the Wee. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine (08 yellow Wee). As far as I'm concerned it is the best bike on the market for the money. Enjoy!

scooterboyusa
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #95
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

alcontrast

We communicated approximately 3 weeks ago about the TMT and we couldn't coordinate since we each had other things going on (you needed a chain and sprocket and I had a commitment that I couldn't get out of). Anyway, since then I have ridden the TMT north to south and visa versa. If the weather hold I am willing to give it another shot if we can cooridnate this time.

scooterboyusa
Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #96
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice pics. Zoar Rd. and the area around Monroe SF along the VT-MA border is a nice place to poke around.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #97
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

I'll probably do the TMT either this Sat or Sun (can't do an over-nighter), pending halfway decent weather. If other's are going and want to meet up at the Southern end let me know. I've never done it before so I'll be feeling my way through using the information available here to get from one end to the other.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #98
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

darius

I am interested in teaming up on Sunday however the key word is weather. I don't want to be a weenie however I don't consider being cold and wet as being a good time. Lets wait and see what mother nature has in store for us. If the weather breaks how does 9:00 AM sound at the intersection of route 8 and 20 just north of Winstead on Sunday? If anyone else is interested that would be great. I'll keep an eye on this site several times a day to see what transpires.

scooterboyusa
central Mass
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #99
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Yeah, so far this weekend's weather is not looking too good...rain and mid 40's in MA region and slightly warmer with rain down here in Milford. I'm not geared for anything too extreme. We'll see how things pan out by Sat evening and I'll PM ya.

Darius on Dirt
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #100
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,026
If the weather changes post something up. I would like to check this route out too..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #101
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,508
I might also be into a Sunday ride.. I was going to do my 12,000 mile maintenance Sunday but that can wait a few hundred more miles right?
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #102
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

We just got our first snowfall of the year down here! Our riding season might be cut off short if this keeps up .

Any of you guys that might want to go this weekend have the route mapped out on a GPS? My GPS was too old for me to import the GPX file (even using MapSend Lite). Instead I imported it into Google Earth and made a turn-by-turn text file (just like it was done in the Loius and Clark days), starting from the southern end. I just need to double-check it. I might paper map it if I get a chance but it's getting to be too much like work so we'll see.

Darius on Dirt
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #103
12pack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I would love to do this ride. I am in Westchester County NY.
Just bought a 2001 F-650GS a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I have to work this Saturday. Maybe next time.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #104
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Question alcontrast,ct-ktm,Darius,12pack etc.

Tomorrow looks like a rough day so would you guys consider next Saturday or Sunday? The weather is supposed to moderate somewhat next week so hopefully Saturday or Sunday will be at least in the 50's.I will pick up some hand-warmers this week just in case......an electric vest will be a plus.

scooterboyusa
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #105
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Yeah, let's shoot for next weekend. Either Sat or Sun works for me. If others are flexible maybe we'll base the day we choose on the weather.

Darius on Dirt