ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
990 fuel filter change...and a wtf

So I was changing the oil and had the filter set for the fuel pump in the drawer, so I would change that and see if there were any goodies in the tank. I dumped the last 1/2 gallon in each tank thru a screen, to my surprise it was very clean and just a few specs of debris. While emptying the tank I could hear something rolling around inside, and found these one in each tank, after ten minutes of shaking it around with last bits of gas running down my arms.

I was guessing they came off the petcocks.

Showa nuff... screwed them back on good and tight... will see how long that lasts.

I noticed that I must have got a rock or rocks between the oil reservoir and the tank; it left some nice gouges in both of them.

Gas tank inside.

I thought I would throw in a few pics of the fuel pump and the filters for anyone interested. I changed the filter and the screen and I would defiantly do both when you do it.

Fuel pump at the bottom of the clutch lever side, left tank…(edit)

The silver tabs hold the white plastic that houses the paper filter, pry the tabs up and pull the plastic housing off.

There are a couple little tabs that hold the paper filter housing together, pry it apart and you can get at the paper filter.

Looks nasty for only 8000 miles.

The screen filter.

Had to take a picture of the wiring so I didn’t get it mixed up.

All the pieces.

When putting the fuel pump back in I used some of this to lube the hole in the tank so the pump would slide in nice, it took an even pressure and it dropped right in.

Dusty screwed with this post 10-24-2009 at 07:24 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
Thumb

Cool, thanks for the pics. now I know what to expect when its my turn to change the filters.
Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

Your welcome, just trying to pay back the collective that has helped me so much. Glad somebody found it useful.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
This is a GREAT write up. The only thing that I wanted to point out is that the fuel pump is on the generator (left) side of the tank and not on the clutch side. Typo I'm sure but I didn't want to see someone taking off the wrong tank when they don't have too.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

Woops, ya the clutch lever side.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 631
Filter Parts..

Dusty,

Did the parts nessessary for the filter change come as a replacement "kit", or did you have order them seperately? I have not looked at the parts diagram in a while, seems I recall the fuel pump listed as like a assembly.

Thanks for the writeup, dont think anyone else has done similar.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
Dusty,

Did the parts nessessary for the filter change come as a replacement "kit", or did you have order them seperately? I have not looked at the parts diagram in a while, seems I recall the fuel pump listed as like a assembly.

Thanks for the writeup, dont think anyone else has done similar.
KK, I odered them of the fishy, I didnt see a kit but i never asked anyone. There were lots of o-rings in the breakdown. I think next time i would just get the 2 big ones at the base of the pump housing and the 2 filters.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

I put everthing back on after a test start up and went for a spin..WTF ran like shit bogging popping... i was expecting a wheely monster

It was very late so i had to wait till this morning to see what was up... slept like shit.

So on the reassembly of the fuel pump.. MAKE SURE THE SILVER TABS LOCK INTO POSITION.. Just dont assume that when you here it click together visually look at bith sides and make sure they are flush with the sides and locked down.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
MT950
"OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
fuel filters $$$

OK so after reading this, I figgered? I maybe should have these filters/o-rings, on the shelf, just in case.(the dealers don't have parts in stock as you know or will find out). Filter kit-$115 O-rings $60 this KTM is a little$$$ to service ! even doing the labor yourself! Be back shortly( had to make beer run) This bike will cause this to happen I'm lucky I kept the Harley to run for parts&beer!
MT950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
Dusty OP
Beastly Adventurer

$$$$$$

Yep the parts for these bikes aren’t cheap. Did 100 miles tonight and it runs real strong.

I have to say my bike starts much quicker it hardly even makes one turn and it’s fired up. It pulls real strong in the first few gears and lifts the front off in 1st gear with just a roll on, even with me trying my best to keep it on the ground; it was making my bad shoulder start to hurt hanging on. Yep it gave me the chills like it did the first few times I got on it. The scalded cat is back!!!!

It was a piece of mind thing for me (trip next week, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, and home) wanted to make sure that the tanks were clean inside.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Yep the parts for these bikes aren’t cheap. Did 100 miles tonight and it runs real strong.

I have to say my bike starts much quicker it hardly even makes one turn and it’s fired up. It pulls real strong in the first few gears and lifts the front off in 1st gear with just a roll on, even with me trying my best to keep it on the ground; it was making my bad shoulder start to hurt hanging on. Yep it gave me the chills like it did the first few times I got on it. The scalded cat is back!!!!

It was a piece of mind thing for me (trip next week, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, and home) wanted to make sure that the tanks were clean inside.
For the filter kit read here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=369482&page=2 CP's post 20
for O-rings: http://www.mcmaster.com/ - Does somebody has the dimensions? ..
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.

Venteuri screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 04:16 PM
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,819
Diging up old stuff.

Hi there,
Opening up a fuel pump, realised there are three wires connecting to the fp. The one stops at the bottom of the fp. Do you guys think this wire grounds the fuel? Is gas good electrical conductor?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Hi there,
Opening up a fuel pump, realised there are three wires connecting to the fp. The one stops at the bottom of the fp. Do you guys think this wire grounds the fuel? Is gas good electrical conductor?
My understanding is that the 990Adv, Super Duke & SuMo use the same wiring harness for the fuel pump portion, but have a slightly different fuel pump unit in that the SD & SM have an integrated low fuel level sensor which uses the 3rd wire in the harness. The 990Adv has a seperate low fuel sensor with seperate wiring harness and connector hence does not use the 3rd wire in the FP harness.

Gas is a bad conductor of electricity AFAIK.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Do you think a spell in an ultrasonic cleaner would refresh the filters?
Could buy an ultrasonic cleaner on ebay for less money than the cost of the filters.......
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I cleaned my sock filter with carb cleaner and compressed air and it can out perfect. eliminated the paper filter and installed an in line $3.57 NAPA universal FI filter next to the air box. Found orings at the local tracor dealer for $1.30 ea.
I did not use the oring lube but will pick up a tube. You can reuse the sock no problem but the paper is a throw out.