ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,631
Trickle charger?

The dealer just told me I needed to buy a $160 charger to float or trickle the battery on the 06 GS I just bought. They said a battery tender won't work due to the canbus system. Seems to me if I hard wire a tender plug to the battery terminals that nothing can get in the way of the battery being charged.

What say you?

thanks
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,370
I say you are right. Use a pigtail off the battery and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, or similar.

In reality, if you ride your bike regularly, you shouldn't need a battery tender. I never use one at all, and when I am travelling for work my bike sometimes sits 3 weeks.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I say you are right. Use a pigtail off the battery and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, or similar.

In reality, if you ride your bike regularly, you shouldn't need a battery tender. I never use one at all, and when I am travelling for work my bike sometimes sits 3 weeks.

Jim
Thanks, Jim

Any issues with disconnecting the battery for the winter (storing it on my bench inside)?

I read an article that said using a std charger could cause the computer to shut off the accessory socket. Any truth in that?

thanks
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
Thanks, Jim

Any issues with disconnecting the battery for the winter (storing it on my bench inside)?

I read an article that said using a std charger could cause the computer to shut off the accessory socket. Any truth in that?

thanks
None, if you want to store it out of the cold for winter, that is fine.

As for the accessory plug charger, the charger keeps the plug active for charging, that is why it costs so much. Not worth it to me, just add a direct pigtail to the battery and your bike will never know the charger is on. Many people use their Gerbing pigtail to charge their battery.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
the white rabbit
Vicarious
 
the white rabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: N. Somerset, UK
Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
and your bike will never know the charger is on.
This is in general the best approach to the GS, sneak up and do things to it on the quiet, when it is sleeping. When it's awake it can get really fussy

FWIW I use an Optimate pigtailed on with a nice waterproof cap permanently poking out near the black plastic bit below the seat (I dont ride mine regularly and its currently broken but the battery is good )
__________________
'These are the hardest conditions I have made a basket like this in' Ray Mears

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc
 
slowinfastout's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fairfax Station VA
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I say you are right. Use a pigtail off the battery and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, or similar.

In reality, if you ride your bike regularly, you shouldn't need a battery tender. I never use one at all, and when I am travelling for work my bike sometimes sits 3 weeks.

Jim
Heh. You forgot to tell 'em what battery we run in our bikes, Jim! No charger needed with Odyssey batts.....

Duane
__________________
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
hapbob
Studly Adventurer
 
hapbob's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Thumb of Michigan
Oddometer: 633
Put pigtail on Batt

Put pigtail on Batt and use Batt tender Jr for over a year ...not a problem on the 07-08.
__________________
2014 triglide twin cooled
2007 CN250
sold2009 FLHR Road King
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout
Heh. You forgot to tell 'em what battery we run in our bikes, Jim! No charger needed with Odyssey batts.....

Duane
I'm a fast study...already have an Odyssey in my ATV!
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass
 
PegasoPat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Oddometer: 336
Thumb Battery tender!

Use the direct connect to the battery with a battery tender. My 06 GS came from the dealer with a tender pigtail already connected to the battery. The dealer said they did it to all their bikes with no problems! I've used it for the past two and a half years.
__________________
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow
PegasoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
grey ghost
Would-be Adventurer
 
grey ghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasoPat
Use the direct connect to the battery with a battery tender. My 06 GS came from the dealer with a tender pigtail already connected to the battery. The dealer said they did it to all their bikes with no problems! I've used it for the past two and a half years.
If you have an auxillary plug that is wired directly to the battery (I have one on my right fairing), you can just plug the battery tender into the auxillary plug and don't have to mess with pigtails. Pretty handy.
__________________
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
- Abraham Lincoln
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost
If you have an auxillary plug that is wired directly to the battery (I have one on my right fairing), you can just plug the battery tender into the auxillary plug and don't have to mess with pigtails. Pretty handy.
I'll probably get that console cover/tidy thingy with the accessory socket in it and wire it direct, then use that for the tender.


Where can I get a few of the BMW accessory male plug thingies?

EDIT:

Nvrmind...found them on....ebay, of course...
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><

biggziff screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 04:49 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
cjack
Studly Adventurer
 
cjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
None, if you want to store it out of the cold for winter, that is fine.

As for the accessory plug charger, the charger keeps the plug active for charging, that is why it costs so much. Not worth it to me, just add a direct pigtail to the battery and your bike will never know the charger is on. Many people use their Gerbing pigtail to charge their battery.

Jim
I thought that too for awhile. Try the accessory jack with just a Battery Tender. I didn't go thru the whole charging cycle, but the jack stayed on with a Battery Tender. I looked at the charging voltage from the $160 BMW charger with a scope and with the exception of some 15 volt peaks at the line cycle frequency, I could see no reason for the jack to stay on except for the higher charge voltage or the charging current being present.

Also when using any other charger, on the battery or jack, be sure to use a smart charger which has a limited charging voltage like 14.4 vdc or so. Voltages above 15 volts are a danger to the electronics. BMW says to disconnect the battery, but they don't when using a smart charger during the GT-1 computer reflashes, etc. They are just being cautious in case you are charging with a current limited non regulated non smart charger.
__________________
My other bike is a BMW
Jack
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,370
Thanks Jack, that's good information!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #14
Nialis
Super Motarded
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 537
Just ride the bike more and you don't need a charger, The only time i ever needed a charger was when I let the battery for my Peg sit on the floor for like 6 months.
__________________
__________________________________________
07' Suzi SV650K7 "Mona"
03' BMW R1150GS ADV "Rene"
00' Aprilia Pegaso Cube "Pandora"
78' Suzi GS 750E
74' Harly Ableson Sportster
49' Hardly Davidson "Panny"

Love of My life...
88' Honda NT650GT "Pagosa" You will always be missed
Nialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014