User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,631
Trickle charger?

The dealer just told me I needed to buy a $160 charger to float or trickle the battery on the 06 GS I just bought. They said a battery tender won't work due to the canbus system. Seems to me if I hard wire a tender plug to the battery terminals that nothing can get in the way of the battery being charged.

What say you?

thanks
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,370
I say you are right. Use a pigtail off the battery and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, or similar.

In reality, if you ride your bike regularly, you shouldn't need a battery tender. I never use one at all, and when I am travelling for work my bike sometimes sits 3 weeks.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I say you are right. Use a pigtail off the battery and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, or similar.

In reality, if you ride your bike regularly, you shouldn't need a battery tender. I never use one at all, and when I am travelling for work my bike sometimes sits 3 weeks.

Jim
Thanks, Jim

Any issues with disconnecting the battery for the winter (storing it on my bench inside)?

I read an article that said using a std charger could cause the computer to shut off the accessory socket. Any truth in that?

thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
Thanks, Jim

Any issues with disconnecting the battery for the winter (storing it on my bench inside)?

I read an article that said using a std charger could cause the computer to shut off the accessory socket. Any truth in that?

thanks
None, if you want to store it out of the cold for winter, that is fine.

As for the accessory plug charger, the charger keeps the plug active for charging, that is why it costs so much. Not worth it to me, just add a direct pigtail to the battery and your bike will never know the charger is on. Many people use their Gerbing pigtail to charge their battery.

Jim
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
and your bike will never know the charger is on.
This is in general the best approach to the GS, sneak up and do things to it on the quiet, when it is sleeping. When it's awake it can get really fussy

FWIW I use an Optimate pigtailed on with a nice waterproof cap permanently poking out near the black plastic bit below the seat (I dont ride mine regularly and its currently broken but the battery is good )

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:

Jim
Heh. You forgot to tell 'em what battery we run in our bikes, Jim! No charger needed with Odyssey batts.....

Duane
Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Put pigtail on Batt

Put pigtail on Batt and use Batt tender Jr for over a year ...not a problem on the 07-08.
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout
Heh. You forgot to tell 'em what battery we run in our bikes, Jim! No charger needed with Odyssey batts.....

Duane
I'm a fast study...already have an Odyssey in my ATV!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

Oddometer: 336
Thumb Battery tender!

Use the direct connect to the battery with a battery tender. My 06 GS came from the dealer with a tender pigtail already connected to the battery. The dealer said they did it to all their bikes with no problems! I've used it for the past two and a half years.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
grey ghost
Would-be Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasoPat
Use the direct connect to the battery with a battery tender. My 06 GS came from the dealer with a tender pigtail already connected to the battery. The dealer said they did it to all their bikes with no problems! I've used it for the past two and a half years.
If you have an auxillary plug that is wired directly to the battery (I have one on my right fairing), you can just plug the battery tender into the auxillary plug and don't have to mess with pigtails. Pretty handy.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost
If you have an auxillary plug that is wired directly to the battery (I have one on my right fairing), you can just plug the battery tender into the auxillary plug and don't have to mess with pigtails. Pretty handy.
I'll probably get that console cover/tidy thingy with the accessory socket in it and wire it direct, then use that for the tender.

Where can I get a few of the BMW accessory male plug thingies?

EDIT:

Nvrmind...found them on....ebay, of course...

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 04:49 AM
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
None, if you want to store it out of the cold for winter, that is fine.

As for the accessory plug charger, the charger keeps the plug active for charging, that is why it costs so much. Not worth it to me, just add a direct pigtail to the battery and your bike will never know the charger is on. Many people use their Gerbing pigtail to charge their battery.

Jim
I thought that too for awhile. Try the accessory jack with just a Battery Tender. I didn't go thru the whole charging cycle, but the jack stayed on with a Battery Tender. I looked at the charging voltage from the $160 BMW charger with a scope and with the exception of some 15 volt peaks at the line cycle frequency, I could see no reason for the jack to stay on except for the higher charge voltage or the charging current being present.

Also when using any other charger, on the battery or jack, be sure to use a smart charger which has a limited charging voltage like 14.4 vdc or so. Voltages above 15 volts are a danger to the electronics. BMW says to disconnect the battery, but they don't when using a smart charger during the GT-1 computer reflashes, etc. They are just being cautious in case you are charging with a current limited non regulated non smart charger.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Thanks Jack, that's good information!

Jim
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #14
Nialis
Super Motarded

Oddometer: 537
Just ride the bike more and you don't need a charger, The only time i ever needed a charger was when I let the battery for my Peg sit on the floor for like 6 months.
00' Aprilia Pegaso Cube "Pandora"
78' Suzi GS 750E
74' Harly Ableson Sportster
49' Hardly Davidson "Panny"

Love of My life...
88' Honda NT650GT "Pagosa" You will always be missed
Nialis is offline   Reply With Quote