ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Cool2 Hampster Ride - Dirt route the length of New Hampshire

Vermont has its Puppy Dog Ride. In a similar fashion, I decided to create a route the length of New Hampshire using predominantly dirt roads. I have the first half plotted and scouted. I rode the southern half of the state on Memorial Day and found the route to be excellent. The dirt roads are all big bike friendly. There are no hero sections and hardly any car traffic. All of the roads are public. One or two sections are not maintained for Winter travel, but were no problem to pass. Some sections are more like two-track forest roads. We saw very little car traffic on the roads, but there is always the risk of oncoming vehicles and horses. There are blind corners in more remote sections.

I already knew most of the roads already in the southern portion, but hadn't ridden this route as a continuous ride. I still need to complete the route to the Canadian border. I will work on the route from Piermont going north. There are many dirt roads on various maps, but I need to see what is open and accessible for public traffic. I want to keep the route on as much dirt as possible. I'm not looking to incorporate hero sections with the idea that big bikes with camping gear can easily navigate the state on these rural roads. The scenery is fantastic. The car traffic was minimal and considerate. Some of the two-track roads were super fun with bumps and drop-offs that encourage a little twist of the throttle to go for a short flight. It was a little difficult to keep the speed in check at times. I try to respect the residents along these roads, but there are many sections without homes where a little more fun can be had.

The route through the entire state will be a work in progress. I'd like to get tracks laid down that strings together dirt roads from near the Massachusetts line to Canadian border. Over time, I'll be able to waypoint gas stations and other services. For example, we had lunch at Peter Christian's Tavern in New London. I'd be happy to share the tracks/route. I'm willing to take suggestions on good roads to incorporate into the route or use as an option to the route (hero sections?). The whole route will likely be over 300 miles. A good plan might be to ride north on Day 1, camp at Coleman State Park or somewhere up that way, and head back south on Day 2 either backtracking the route or finding alternatives. Or use this route for through riders going on to Maine, Vermont, or Canada.

I started the route in Hollis for a south/central location. In addition to the Hollis Kitchen for breakfast, there is a gas station and doughnut/coffee shop at the traffic lights. All the amenities for filling up all the empty tanks.

Here is the latest version of the GPX file:

Version 3 - July 20, 2014
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/2014

Caution: If Dropbox saves the file to your computer with .TXT file extension, rename the file - remove .TXT. The file should have the extension .GPX only. Then it should open with your mapping application.

Map on Google: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...thuser=0&hl=en

Here are some images from that initial scouting ride of the southern half of the Hampster Ride…

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary

FreeTheBeast screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 02:11 PM Reason: Updating GPX file. Added Google Map.
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,495
Brilliant!!!

I can't wait for you to finish!

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
MWValley
Gadget Guy Supérieur

Oddometer: 630
Bravo, mon ami! Bravo. I will follow your progress with keen interest.

The Hampster Ride. I can't wait. I've just put new tires on the V-Strom, too.

Now I just need a day off!

When life hands you melons, you could be dyslexic.

MWValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 467
Thumb

I've been waiting for this! I've done the TMT and the PDR a few times and have been wanting to do more in NH! Can't wait to ride it!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,316
Nice! A while back another inmate did a similar route that started in Mason. Have you seen that route? I may have the file if you want it.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
DualGrampy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have been looking for something like this. I live one town over from Hollis. Please keep the thread informed.
DualGrampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
care to share the route you have thus far? I would love to check it out and contribute if I can!

thanks!
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,354
Very Cool Andrew...looking forward to riding it sometime. Thank you
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,348
Great Idea!!
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #10
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Laugh Maps, tracks...

I'll definitely share my tracks and maps with everyone. I just upgraded to Google Maps Pro so that it can handle more points and layers. Otherwise, Google Maps generally sucks. I can send my tracks for what I have so far, but it is not yet final.

Kamala - yes, please! If you've got that route, I'd like to see it. Thanks.

Here's a screen shot of the route. The yellow line is my latest route. Blue flags obscure much of the yellow line near the bottom of the state.

Here's what I've got planned for the top section. Yet to be ridden and vetted. Yellow is what I've got in mind. The red line was my original plan. Not sure which one will work out best. The end points are (obviously) different. I don't know if the roads up there are gated/restricted.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #11
captain crunch
huckleberry

Oddometer: 655
Awesome
Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #12
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 807
Thumb

nice
Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 5,953
A most excellent endeavor!

Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 668
Excellent. Can't wait to check it out. I have sent you a pm with a link to a previous route.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
Excellent. Can't wait to check it out. I have sent you a pm with a link to a previous route.
I'm subscribed. Please share when you can. I've just started putting something together for Rhode Island dirt roads, but it I'm on the steep part of the learning curve with GPS and mapping routes, so I've been reduced to tracing roads in google maps (there must be a better way...).
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote