ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #1
millican OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Impact wrench in Syracuse?

Long story short: I need to know someone with an impact wrench that is portable and likes to drag it around to places with free beer or mead in exchange for dragging said impact wrench around.
I'm in Syracuse and bent the Honda tool for removing the variator cover on my Helix. I had to rent a trailer to get the scooter back from Sacramento, where it broke down. I don't need an air compressor often enough to buy one to power an impact wrench. (I know the compressors don't last long if they just sit unused.) I'd also enjoy meeting some other riders in the area, but there don't seem to be many from the looks of things just driving around.
I do have a pickup to move the scooter, but it's in Tucson for another month or so. :-(
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #2
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 696
I have one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5140_200625140, and it is VERY handy.

Sorry I do not live near "the 'cuse". I'd give it a shot for a couple beers if i were near. For the price, you might just want to go ahead and buy one.

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,959
I'm nowhere near Syracuse but...I have one of these:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...with-4-sockets

Kicks ass and takes names. My small compressor runs my lift up and down and seats beads on tires, etc, but won't handle an impact and for the money I'd spend on a serious compressor typically for only that reason...made no sense.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #4
millican OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
An electric impact wrench? I didn't know these existed.
That would definitely be worth the price. My wife just suggested renting a trailer, but I don't want to rent a trailer when I have a pickup ... even if it is 2500 miles away.
I'll do some searching for these. No. I think I'll just get one of these. Thanks for the tips!
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #5
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 542
yep I have one of the Dewalt brand cordless electric impacts... working outside in the dirt all the time without an actual shop it was an awesome investment and has surely paid for itself in time saved. The other day I changed a flat trailer tire on the side of the road in nascar pit stop timeframe
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #6
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,349
Sears has the electric impacts and they are awesome... They actually have more stamina than an air impact on a small compressor. When I built my cabin the log home company said to have an electric impact to drive the lags into the logs.
Being an auto tech for 20 years I had one of the most powerful air impacts available at the time and did not believe the log kit company that and electric work better.
We had the electric as they requested and I broke out my air gun to prove a point... the point was proven that the electric gun will out perform an air gun for continuous use and drive 14" 3/8 lags faster. I still use the electric today at home.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #7
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
My local Auto Zone "rents" tools. You pay for the tool, use it, bring it back and get a refund. I rented an electric impact driver from them. It didn't have enough power to break the c/s nut on my son's bike. I took the bike to a tire shop and their air driver did the job.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #8
toates89
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
lOOK ON EBAY FOR USED ELECTRIC IMPACT WRENCHS. yOU CAN GET A GOOD DEAL.
toates89 is online now   Reply With Quote