ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
PachmanP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
DC to Boston-ish route help

So I need to burn a little vacation soon. I'm thinking a NE trip would be a good way to do it, but I need route advice.

I'm in DC and I have have friends I want to visit outside Boston (Lowell). I figure two days up and two back. I've done the run from there down 95 in a day, but that sucks.

Any route suggestions or roads to try to hit?

Any suggested places to camp midway? Just looking at the map maybe north central PA or south central NY might be a good stopping point? When abouts do the campgrounds close for the year in PA and NY?

Thanks.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
You could probably do all right riding by staying out west of Baltimore, Philly, and NYC and coming up through up-state NY and across Western MA... what kind of bike are you riding?

There probably isn't a good way to make that run up the east coast in two days while hitting interesting roads, dirt and whatnot without a couple of long days in the saddle (just google mapping it to avoid highways says 13.25 hours).

You can fly Southwest airlines from Baltimore BWI to Manchester, NH for around $80 each way if you fly on the right days. That's probably what you'd spend on gas getting up there. Manchester is a very nice, small regional airport 30 minutes from Lowell.

Fly up and take those extra couple of days you would have spend riding and spend them in New England. You can do the typical New Englandy-stuff like apple picking or lobster-eating, take the train into Boston for a day (Commuter rail from Lowell) or rent a bike for a day and go ride around up north and check out the colors.
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Also, it's starting to get a little chilly up here, so bring a heated vest if you do ride.

And please don't stick any light-up placards of your avatar to our bridges while you're up here, thanks!
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
PachmanP OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I'm on a Wee. I'm not opposed to a longish day or two. I also wouldn't mind some gravel/dirt but nothing that wouldn't be a considered a road.

I went to college in Boston and go up to New England a fair amount still visiting friends. This is about the ride, so I'm not really interested in flying up (although I haven't looked at BWI to Manchester before, so I'll file that away.)

I picked up a heated vest and gloves for a trip I did up through the finger lakes then east to Maine last year. They were definitely clutch.

I just sort of winged it last year and ended up on too many slow roads with lights and people, so ideally I'd avoid that.

Definitely not going to put a light bright anywhere Boston PD can find it. I was up there during that and it was a cluster.

Thanks all.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
PachmanP OP
Beastly Adventurer

So last year I took 22 and 15 north through PA.

For this trip is there maybe good camping north of Scranton? Maybe NW some?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
There are several commercial campsites on Rt 30 in NY, north of East Branch.

Peaceful Valley is motorcycle friendly, http://www.nypeacefulvalley.com/
CannonsvilleRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Have you explored the Catskills yet?
CannonsvilleRider is online now   Reply With Quote