ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #4741
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,270
button

Could match that tag with the button at the library at U. of P.!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #4742
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Eat!! there are so many great little dives I cant even think right now.. also I'm down in westminster md for a work x-mas party.. working on the bike when I get home.. all the parts are in.. just need to put it together..and the ice to breakup in the driveway so I can get out..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #4743
pfuey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Got it!

Intersection of Broad and Market, Philadelphia, PA. Clothespin by Claes Oldenburg, 1976.

Claes Oldenburg (born January 28, 1929) is a sculptor, best known for his public art installations typically featuring very large replicas of everyday objects. Another theme in his work is soft sculpture versions of everyday objects.

Oldenburg was born in Stockholm, Sweden, the son of a Swedish diplomat. As a child he and his family moved to United States in 1936, first to New York then, later, to Chicago where he graduated from the Latin School of Chicago. He studied at Yale University from 1946 to 1950, then returned to Chicago where he studied under the direction of Paul Wieghardt at the Art Institute of Chicago until 1954.

While further developing his craft, he worked as a reporter at the City News Bureau of Chicago. He also opened his own studio and, in 1953, became a naturalized citizen of the United States. His first recorded sales of artworks were at the 57th Street Art Fair in Chicago, where he sold 5 items for a total price of $25.[1] He moved back to New York City in 1956. There he met a number of artists, including Jim Dine, Red Grooms, and Allan Kaprow, whose Happenings incorporated theatrical aspects and provided an alternative to the abstract expressionism that had come to dominate much of the art scene.

The most memorable aspects of Oldenburg's works are perhaps, the colossal sculptures that he has made. Sculptures, though quite large, often have interactive capabilities. One such interactive early sculpture was a soft sculpture of a tube of lipstick which would deflate unless a participant re-pumped air into it. In 1974, this sculpture, Lipstick (Ascending) on Caterpillar Tracks, was redesigned in a sturdier aluminum form, the giant lipstick being placed vertically atop tank treads. Originally installed in Beinecke Plaza at Yale, it now resides in the Morse College courtyard.
Many of Oldenburg's giant sculptures of mundane objects elicited public ridicule before being embraced as whimsical, insightful, and fun additions to public outdoor art. In the 1960s he became associated with the Pop Art movement and attended many so-called happenings, which were performance art related productions of that time. The name he gave to his own productions was "Ray Gun Theatre". His first wife -(1960–1970) Pat Muschinski who sewed many of his early soft sculptures, was a constant performer in his happenings. This brash, often humorous approach to art, was at great odds with the prevailing sensibility that, by its nature, art dealt with "profound" expressions or ideas. But Oldenburg's spirited art found first a niche then a great popularity that endures to this day.

He has collaborated with Dutch/American pop sculptor Coosje van Bruggen since 1976. They were married in 1977.
In 1988, he and van Bruggen collaborated to create the iconic Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture for the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, MN that remains a staple of the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden as well as a classic image of the city.

In addition to freestanding projects, he occasionally contributes to architectural projects, most notably the former Chiat/Day advertising agency headquarters in the Venice district of Los Angeles, California—the main entrance is a pair of giant black binoculars. The advertising agency DDB is the current tenant.

Another well known construction is the Free Stamp in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. This Free Stamp has a small, yet energetic cult following.
In 2001, Oldenburg and van Bruggen created 'Dropped Cone', a large upturned ice cream cone, which can be found on top of a shopping centre in Cologne, Germany.

pfuey screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 07:58 AM
pfuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #4744
pfuey
Adventurer

New Tag

Not to ruin anyone's riding plans for the day, I got this while grabbing the previous tag.

I was planning on doing a big ride today but, in honor of today's Army Navy game, here's the new tag.

Tag clue, BB62.

pfuey screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 09:48 AM
Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #4745
Ernie83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Bruced!!!

But on may way to grab the next location!

Ernie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #4746
Ernie83
Adventurer

Got it! Burr...

Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #4747
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
Sorry for not keeping up with the thread guys. It has been a long outage, and I have been feeling a bit burnt out on everything. Hell, I have only been on the bike three of four times in the past month!

I am glad to see that the game has been moving along pretty well. Dennis, I do agree with the idea behind the 50 mile rule, but I really don't want to force that on the players, especially with winter moving in.
It was a suggestion to keep the game flowing. And to keep Aholes like me from hoggin the tag. But its cool. I love it the way it is.....
Old 12-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #4748
Ernie83
Adventurer

New TAG!

Still enough time to get this one today. Don't think any clues are needed but this one is REALLY close to PHL. Bonus points for catching a plane in your shot.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #4749
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
Wow, They're really stackin them up aren't they Could you explain to a non photographer how you got that shot?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #4750
Ernie83
Adventurer

Photoshop

You take several shot with a camera, trying not to move it. Then put it in Photoshop and cut out each individual plane. Then remove the sky from each of the plane thumbnails and merge all the individual images together. That' it.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #4751
pfuey
Adventurer

Clue

I'd like to try for this one but, a clue would be helpful.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #4752
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,700
You have a camera on a tripod. And shoot mutliple frames. In this one its probably 4. Then take them into photoshop and make each one a layer. Erase just enough of each layer to see the plane mutlipe times. The hard part is keeping the camera still. That is one way.
Anther is to copy and paste the plane mutiple times in the same image. Ernie seems like a purist with Photo Ethics. So I think he used method one.
Below is a thread on another board showing some cool skiing shots done with the first technique....

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/...photo-montages
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #4753
Ernie83
Adventurer

Clue

Sorry I thought the clue of PHL.... airport code for Philadelphia International and the plane LANDING (should let you know which side of the airport it's located) was enough but I'll give another. Just off the screen of that shot was a sign for what was originally called Fort Island Battery, first commissioned in 1771.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #4754
pfuey
Adventurer

Got it!

Only through sheer determination did I find this (I'm not very smart).

Thanks for the "X marks the spot."

Fort Mifflin, originally called Fort Island Battery and also known as Mud Island Fort, was commissioned in 1771 and sits on Mud or Deep Water Island on the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. During the American Revolutionary War, the fort was a centerpiece of the British conquest of Philadelphia. The name "Fort Mifflin" became official in 1795. The fort was rebuilt at the start of 1794 during the presidency of John Adams to a design by Pierre L'Enfant, and added to in the 19th century.

pfuey screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 07:48 PM
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #4755
cyclejohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Bruced!

Bruced again.

I should have checked before I left the house. I knew exactly where the tag was, but couldn't get out til this evening. (There is a geocache within about 100' of where the "ADV" is scratched on the ground).

It's quite a sight to look overhead and watch the jets come down for a landing.
cyclejohn is online now   Reply With Quote