ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #5536
CAMODUDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
CAMODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #5537
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat the Peach

I can smell some brucing in the air...those east coasters don't care to see the tag getting too settled out this side of the state

Jesse
I was thinking we shared it very nicely

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #5538
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat the Peach

I can smell some brucing in the air...those east coasters don't care to see the tag getting too settled out this side of the state

Jesse
:) I only ride in winter.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #5539
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
tag

ADVer screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 11:23 AM
ADVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #5540
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag

Just beyond the entrance to an unusual Pittsburgh-area neighborhood designed by world renowned architects and built by the US government in the early 1940's. Named after the town it is located in (well, what the town used to be also called then).

Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #5541
Eat the Peach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVer
New tag

Just beyond the entrance to an unusual Pittsburgh-area neighborhood designed by world renowned architects and built by the US government in the early 1940's. Named after the town it is located in (well, what the town used to be also called then).
Good grab and drop, Jay

I was just about to head out for mrsticky's Fairview Park tag when you posted up so I just took the tall Cee Bailey windshield off the Uly and headed out for a couple hours of fun in Armstrong county instead. Beautiful day to be out.

Jesse
Eat the Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #5542
Lifttruck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Got it!

Check out my odometer readings. First is at the tag. Second is in front of my garage.

Lifttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #5543
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 460
Nice grab Lifty. Now ride to work tomorrow and bring it south!
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5544
Lifttruck
Adventurer

The Pittsburgh Reduction constructed it's Second plant in New Kensington in 1891. Coincidentally the same year the city was founded. Thus the nickname Aluminum City. The Aluminum City Terrace housing project is located on the high ground between Rt's 780 and 56 just east of the small city.

Pay attention to the ALCOA reference!!

New Kensington, Pennsylvania

Location within the state of Pennsylvania

Coordinates: 4034′6″N 7945′30″W / 40.56833N 79.75833W / 40.56833; -79.75833
CountryUnited States
StatePennsylvania
CountyWestmoreland
Founded1891
Government
- MayorTom Guzzo (D)
Area
- Total4.2 sq mi (11.0 km2)
- Land4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)
- Water.3 sq mi (.7 km2)
Elevation1,110 ft (338.3 m)
Population (2000)
- Total14,701
Time zoneEastern (UTC-5)
- Summer (DST)Eastern (UTC-4)

New Kensington was founded in 1891. In 1890, the Burrell Improvement Company considered the advantages of the level land south of its home in Lower Burrell, and deemed it a prime location for a city and named the area "Kensington" (later changed to "New Kensington" for postal purposes, because Pennsylvania already had another city with that name). In an attempt to make New Kensington comparable to Pittsburgh, the streets were named with numbers. Avenues ran parallel to the river, while streets were perpendicular. 4th and 5th were the main commercial streets.
Once the land was surveyed, a public sale was held on June 10, 1891. Thousands of people flooded the area and investors began bringing industry with them. The first large company was the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, which later became Alcoa. They acquired a 3.5-acre (14,000 m2) property that allowed the company to exploit the closeness to the riverfront.
Eventually, such other companies as Adams Drilling, Goldsmith and Lowerburg, New Kensington Milling, New Kensington Brewing, Logan Lumber, Keystone Dairy, and many more were built late in the nineteenth century and continuing into the early twentieth century. Early achievements included a railroad station, the 9th Street bridge, a passenger boat that navigated the Allegheny River, a street car line that ran to Natrona via the West Penn Railways, the Kensington Dispatch newspaper, a fire department,hotel, opera house, and a local chapter of the YMCA. By 1906, 25,000 people occupied an area of seven miles.[citation needed]
In 1941, New Kensington became the site of a modern workers' housing project—named the Aluminum City Terrace—designed by Marcel Breuer and Walter Gropius, which set new standards for federal housing design. Intended for Alcoa defense workers, it was subsequently used to rehouse displaced residents from other parts of the city.
Today, New Kensington contains the neighborhoods of Parnassus, Mount Vernon, Valley Heights, Valley Camp, Pine Manor, and 40 Acres.

Lifttruck screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 07:37 PM
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #5545
Lifttruck
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
I wish I could. I almost stopped and tagged the Freeport Whiskey tag in my service truck just to be a smart A$$. I'm in Kittanning tomorrow morning unless I get a break down at Allegheny Ludlum Steel, sorry.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #5546
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
Grape, ya just got to get longer legs.
I give it a week tops before the rest of the regular local taghound ff's check in on this round (if it's not snagged by a nor/easter bent on displacing it significantly). And yes, this means you Garry, EatthePeach, and BaBiker.
Lifty Sticky and Bomber are on the board now. Get Hot!
MapMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #5547
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifttruck
Got it!
Check out my odometer readings. First is at the tag. Second is in front of my garage.

Hmmm. 2.3 mi in 8 minutes: average speed 17.69mph. Considering you had to stop for multiple pics, you must have been flyin'!

Also, what do I have to do to get one of those bikes where you ride 2 miles and wind up with slighty MORE gas than you started with?
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #5548
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Good quick one Lifty!

Some more interesting information on ATC
http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/neighb...s/a_city.shtml
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #5549
Lifttruck
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVer
Good quick one Lifty!

Some more interesting information on ATC
http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/neighb...s/a_city.shtml
Next time you're in the area you need to stop by.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #5550
Lifttruck
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve
Hmmm. 2.3 mi in 8 minutes: average speed 17.69mph. Considering you had to stop for multiple pics, you must have been flyin'!

Also, what do I have to do to get one of those bikes where you ride 2 miles and wind up with slighty MORE gas than you started with?
Yeah I was really pushing the pace of that ride. I think that's the first time I've been on a bike since Oct. There is so much crap on the roads and I was wearing a irridium visor. Someone in the New Ken Street Dept usually has a brain fart and throws small gravel on the streets late in the season instead of salting. I guess they figure marbles for a couple weeks are better than ice for a few hours. Makes for an interesting ride.

As far as the fuel guage reading goes I knew someone would look at the fuel guage and comment. I guess it's just the way the bike was leaning.