Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
odbuffalo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Bringing down the front on a /5. How to?

Another question on setting up the front end.

Not my bike but I really like how it sits, front end way down. Is the only way to achieve this by installing shorter springs or is there another way?

If so, does anyone have a good source for lower springs?
Attached Images

odbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
The worst thing you can do to an airheads handling is lower the front end. Trust me- there's a reason why if you ever see pics of racing airheads the rider is farther back than normal and steering with the arse end. Don't put heavier oil in either- it just makes things worse. Airhead forks are fickle things that are barely tolerable when stock and set up correctly, they can only get worse when you mess with the system. If you want to pose, fine... but don't expect anything resembling safe handling. If I seem harsh it's only because I've been there, done dat. Nose down airhead = bad idea

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Actually, you can ditch the steel top plate for a billet piece, and then drop the front up to a couple inches without adversely affecting handling.
Probably the only real value in a billet top triple...
Mind that you don't bottom out on the fender. Stiffer springs, or pre-load spacers might be in order.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex
The worst thing you can do to an airheads handling is lower the front end. Trust me- there's a reason why if you ever see pics of racing airheads the rider is farther back than normal and steering with the arse end. Don't put heavier oil in either- it just makes things worse. Airhead forks are fickle things that are barely tolerable when stock and set up correctly, they can only get worse when you mess with the system. If you want to pose, fine... but don't expect anything resembling safe handling. If I seem harsh it's only because I've been there, done dat. Nose down airhead = bad idea
I'll agree that you don't want to be dropping the front end too much, but I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with the rest of you conjecture regarding the suspension. Whilst the stock system is not stellar, it can be made to perform quite nicely with the proper mods; the key is knowing what the proper mods are .

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote