User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,500
Prostitution's legal, ain't it?

Edit: We have decided to make this an ongoing thread for what now appears to be our annual get together loosely referred to as the Annual Latin American Riders' Rally. The 2008 version runs from this post through post #147. The 2009 version, for those of you who want to skip 2008, begins in post #148 with Bananaman's welcoming words. Though, I can promise you, those won't be his last words.

We're working on SALARR III and I'll post a link to our planning stage right here when we get it up and going. Stay tuned.

So, the plan is for everyone attending the 2009 SALARR to post their ride reports to and from SALARR and reports of SALARR itself on this thread.

Welcome to the combined ride report for all participants in ALARR (Annual Latin American Riders' Rally).

We will be meeting at Rocky Mountain National Park from the 14th through the 19th of August, Glacier Basin Campground, group site 13M. Drop in if you're in the neighborhood.

This rally was started with the intention of getting together those who have ridden in Mexico, Central America and/or South America, not officially Latin America but we're setting the rules. Most of us had met online through our ride reports and wanted to get together to meet in person and swap war stories. After the initial idea we decided to open it to everyone, especially those who were thinking of riding anywhere south of the border.

So there you have it in a nutshell. There will be lots (I hope) of individual posts, pictures and stories from all of the pariticipants from across the country and Canada as they wind their way towards Colorado.

So, subscribe to the thread, sit back and enjoy the ride!

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.

Nata Harli screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 05:03 PM
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
SLUGGO
A Lone Drifter

Oddometer: 157

"The thing to remember when traveling is that the trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you will miss all you are traveling for." Louis L'Amour
SLUGGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,269
Valves adjusted, throttle bodies serviced, tire pressure checked. Transmission fluid and final drive fluid changed. Departing tomorow for a Friday arrival. 1000 miles in less than 24 hours- that's not a lot, is it?

This will only be my second Latin America Rider Rally. Here's a pic of the first:

Oops, that's not an advrider rally! He's got the salute, though. Let me try again.

I'm getting closer...

Nope. I can't find it. Salcar has it.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Let's see how this develops

Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
on our way

Decided to make this rally for Elizabeth's first. we are going as "soontobe" latin america riders.
Step one was to park our mutt at my parents place in western MN.
Day 0ne
first my dad makes breakfast, thanks old man

Eliz and Carhartt enjoy Bacon!!

then we are off

A puzzle to solve, how many quart cooler does GSdiablo have strapped between himself and his topcase?
(more clues later...)
since we are heading to the mountains... should we be concerned about wild cats?

GSdiablo screwed with this post 08-14-2008 at 04:26 AM
GSdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
bananaman
transcontimental

When I said I was going to only my second Latin America Rider Rally, what I meant was that I was going to my second Meeting. The first one was in Grenada, Nicaragua, with Salcar officiating. This was before he took a shower.

I'm going to say that GS Diablo's bike does a wheelie all the way accross South Dakota. Without him even knowing it. It'll gradually come down as the beer in the back moves from the cooler to his belly and then onto the prairie.

Hey Greg- have you ever heard of a camelback?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman

Hey Greg- have you ever heard of a camelback?
got a nice 100 oz green mule that I can't use, because "I Got a Friggin Huge Cooler on my ASS! But I digress, Elizabeth found the camelbak to be very helpful on our journey thru the great nebraskan forest. The said storage device has many many functions but contains no adult beverages yet. That comes later. I can count at least 5 uses for a large cooler on a bike. 1. makes a great chair at the gas station while eating snacks, 2. works as a bench while wrenching. 3.Ahhhh, backrest.... 4. large internal storage(laptop,tent poles,frying pan,etc)5. might work as a centerstand if I find a mosquito sprayer with a flat
Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
Decided to make this rally for Elizabeth's first. we are going as "soontobe" latin america riders.
Glad to hear you're both on your way. See you soon.

I'm in Denver heading to REI in Boulder this morning then on to the campsite. Before Bananaman get's on my rear about no pictures, I'm going to try and find a coffee shop with wireless in Boulder and will try and post later on this morning.

Weather forecast is 60% rain for Friday and Saturday then clearing up. High of 56 and low of 40 on Friday so hope everyone is bringing something warm and dry. Highs in 60s and 70s the rest of the time with lows in the 40s.

Rjzinc, I'm sorry life interfered with your plans and you won't be able to make it. Hope to see you next year at the Second Annual Latin American Riders' Rally.

Nata Harli screwed with this post 08-14-2008 at 05:48 AM
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli
Glad to hear you're both on your way. See you soon.

I'm in Denver heading to REI in Boulder this morning then on to the campsite. Before Bananaman get's on my rear about no pictures, I'm going to try and find a coffee shop with wireless in Boulder and will try and post later on this morning.

Weather forecast is 60% rain for Friday and Saturday then clearing up. High of 56 and low of 40 on Friday so hope everyone is bringing something warm and dry. Highs in 60s and 70s the rest of the time with lows in the 40s.

Rjzinc, I'm sorry life interfered with your plans and you won't be able to make it. Hope to see you next year at the Second Annual Latin American Riders' Rally.
If, in front of that coffee shop, someone asks you about that bike, just say you stole it and don't know nothin' about ridin' nowheres.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,543

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Im going to guess between 48-54 quarts on the cooler.

PS
This thread better have some prostitutes in it, you know how those
guys with the Alaskan Tittie Bar Tour let us down...

Happy trails.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Finally, some pictures

All geared up and ready to leave KC, but had to stop at my neighborhood coffee shop (a morning tradition for this ole retired dude) and get my java jolt. Ah, now I'm ready to hit the road.

That's not my bike. The bike I rode from Panama and was planning on riding to the rally, a '92 R100GS, needed a few parts that didn't come in in time to ride it. I was thinking I was going to have to drive and was having dinner at my friend's, Alex and Djana's, a couple of nights before I left and mentioned I thought I was going to have to drive when Alex said, "Why don't you ride my bike?" You can guess how long it took me to take him up on this deal. That's the kind of friends to have. Thanks, Alex!!!!

Now, it's time for breakfast. I've given up crossing Kansas on I-70 years ago. If I'm headed to southern CO I'll take Hwy 50 and northern CO I've found Hwy 36 is a great way to get across the state. So, I'm on Hwy 36 and I usually stop at Lori's in Seneca for a bite to eat. Just missed breakfast so I'll settle for some lunch.

OMG, they have FRESH rhubarb pie. There's no way I'm gonna pass up a chance for this!.

Hwy 36, IMHO, is the absolute best way to get across Kansas. If you're headed for Denver, 36 and I-70 converge right out by the airport. It's 99% 2-lane, but you can cruise at interstate speeds all day and won't get stopped - at least I haven't yet. The farther west you get the less towns you go through.

I say it's 2 lane, but for some unknown reason, just west of Marysville, it all of a sudden turns into 4 lanes and continues for about 15 miles. There is absolutely no logical reason for this as the following picture shows what would be considered a "traffic jam" on this road. The only thing I can figure out is some contractor had a little extra concrete and a political connection.

My next stop was for gas in Belleville and it turned into a 45 minute stop.

First, the guy on this '08 Ural pulled in with his buddies on their Harleys.

I started talking to him and he was travelling with his father and his son. 3 generations travelling together on their bikes. Pretty cool, I thought, since my kids think I'm nuts for riding a bike.

They told me they were heading back to Columbus, OH, after spending a while at the Sturgis rally. They said attendance was down at Sturgis by about 30%.

While I was standing their talking to these guys I noticed an older gentleman who had pulled up in his pickup for gas inching his way towards us. I started talking to him and he told me his son, from Kansas City, had just ridden his bike from KC to Alaska then to Wyoming for the MOA rally. I told him I had a friend who had just ridded from Alaska to Wyoming then back to KC, also. He asked me her name and when I told him he said that was who his son had ridden from Alaska to Wyoming with - Tracy, aka KCDakar. Small world, indeed.

Then as I was getting ready to leave a rider pulled up with a loaded down newer Triumph Bonnie. I had to go talk to him for a while. His name was Pat and he was from New York where he had started his ride and he was on his way home. He's keeping a blog at: http://ww.nygumbo.com

He was aware of Advrider but was not a member. Of course, I advised him to become a member and, especially, to check this thread out. So, Pat, here's hoping to see you here soon.

I've passed by a sign on Hwy 36 that points you to a little detour to the "geographical center of the United States". Well, this time I decided to take the little detour and here I am.

A couple of ladies were there and offered to take my pic. I wasn't aware of how much the country tilts at its geographical center>

On to Holdrege, NE, to spend the evening with my friends sampling Bev's home cooking, drinking Tim's home brew and enjoying a perfect evening. I was enjoying it so much I forgot to take a pic. Sorry, Bananaman.

Wednesday, I left Holdrege and headed for Denver to spend the evening with my son and his new bride.

I started out by dodging this storm. It looked like it was probably right over I-70 at this time.

I had taken Hwy 23 west out of Holdrege since I've never taken it before. Just as crowded as Hwy 36 was.

Got up this morning and headed into Boulder to find a wireless (turned out to be IHOP of all places).

Well, REI opens in 5 minutes. Headed there to pick up a few things then off to Rocky Mountain National Park to pick out my prime camp site. See you FFs soon.

Nata Harli screwed with this post 07-07-2009 at 04:53 PM
Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
Oh, no. You mean you're not bringing Carhartt? He was to be our official mascot. I guess that honor now falls to Bananaman.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Bear Warning - Radar Warning

Well, I made it and got the only primo campsite in the whole place. I feel sorry for the rest of you FFs having to sleep in, on and among the boulders that make up the rest of the campground.

A couple of words of warning. If you come through Lyons and then up Hwy 7 (a great road IMHO) watch out for radar as you leave Lyons where it's still a 25mph zone but sure doesn't look like it. Sneaky deputies set up with radar.

Likewise as you enter the National Park watch your speed. I saw some folks pulled over for speeding and I think a federal speeding ticket is quite expensive.

Final warning. The ranger told me they had some bear trouble a couple of nights ago so we have to be extra careful about storing all our stuff in the bear proof containers. One is just up the street from 13M.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Fun Times Ahead!

Looks like you are gearing up for a great meeting so, since I cannot attend, I'll raise a glass and wish you all safe riding and great roads

Cheers,
Allan.

Oh... what happened to the ST1100??? I thought that it would be an excellent choice for your journey this time.