User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #16
RoadMinge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,407
just do it

Ok why dont you sell your collection of misfits R1100RT, HD 1200N, Old Skooly CB750 Chop, and buy a used low mileage BMW F650GS and some touratech items and then read the new book by Dan Walsh " These Are the Days That Must Happpen To You". You will then realize your choice of motorcycle is really not that important, your motivation to just do it and get out there is.
KLX450R , Yamaha Zuma 50, Lambretta GP200
RoadMinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #17
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,196
Ya, I was going to ask why you haven't considered the F650GS? More power, better brakes than a klr. More proven, cheaper and simpler than an f800gs.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #18
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I rode a Honda 125 across Asia in the 70's. If your leaning toward the 800 for horsepower - you really don't need it in the third world. Are you going to spend two years on the worlds equilivant of the interstate? If I was making your choice I would get the bike with the least gizmo's. Also the 800 has a 12 to one compression ratio which means it aint going to like bad gas. By coincidence I was talking to Greg Frazier on this subject. He said there were only about 7 BMW dealers in South America. He has been around the world 5 times - mostly on a KLR. Go look at www.horizonsunlimited.com which is a world moto site. There is quite a bit of discussion there on which bike to use. David
Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #19
Raoul Duke OP
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD
I rode a Honda 125 across Asia in the 70's. If your leaning toward the 800 for horsepower - you really don't need it in the third world. Are you going to spend two years on the worlds equilivant of the interstate? If I was making your choice I would get the bike with the least gizmo's. Also the 800 has a 12 to one compression ratio which means it aint going to like bad gas. By coincidence I was talking to Greg Frazier on this subject. He said there were only about 7 BMW dealers in South America. He has been around the world 5 times - mostly on a KLR. Go look at www.horizonsunlimited.com which is a world moto site. There is quite a bit of discussion there on which bike to use. David
Thanks for the replies everyone. I started reading a lot on the Horizons Unlimited site lately. Hadn't really used it much before. You guys are right - it's a great site.
Raoul Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,244
If it was me I would go with the KLR. It is such an old design that you can fix almost anything out in the field. The new GS is more computerized and if something was to fry you might have to get it trucked to a dealership...which could be an issue in Uzbekistan.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
If it were me I would pay attention to the MPG figures for the bikes I was looking at as well and total range. Don't know what the F800 is capable of but the F650 can get 70-90mpg and that 90mpg taking it easy could be important when you are looking for a fuel station. I guess the KLR may get 45-50mpg but check. The difference may pay extra cost of the F650 over a KLR.
Yes you need to find out the worst fuel grade each bike will run on - the F800 despite high compression probably has knock sensors which I would feel safer with rather than having none.
Whichever bike you buy run it for a minimum of 1 year 6000 miles to iron out niggles and your luggage etc - if you're buying a new bike you could negotiate the dealer may be willing to act as technical support if anything goes wrong?
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 170
At this point I would not drive a BMW outside of cell phone coverage. My 2008 has been the worst motorcycle in my 35 years of riding. BMW has gotten way too technical with their machines and they need to go back to building something that is reliable before adding bling to it. IMO of course.

I say get a KLR and "suffer" through it. I am considering one myself at this point believe it or not and I have no budget and am mechanically inclined. I am just tired of needing my mechanical skills all the time on the BMW and I am tired of returning it to the dealer for warranty issues (Final Drive, oil leaks, EWS failure, fuel guage strips).
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
By coincidence I was talking to Greg Frazier on this subject. He said there were only about 7 BMW dealers in South America. He has been around the world 5 times - mostly on a KLR.
IIR the first three times were on a BMW R80GS, the fourth time was the KLR (his preparation of the KLR was written up in MCN). The fifth trip was a mix of bikes....
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,707
Why not an R100 or another older GS ?
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,584
If I was going to do a trip like that, I'd want a carb. Sure, they mean less power, less fuel economy, and less ability to handle altitude. And they probably fail more frequently. But when they DO fail, they are easy to repair, either by yourself or whatever mechanic you meet along the road.

If you're talking carbs, you're talking R100GS, KTM 640ADV, or the KLR 650. I'd probably choose the KTM, since it's the lightest and most capable when things get ugly. I'm pretty sure it also has the best range. Then I'd ride the crap out of it well beforehand to work out the bugs and get to know the bike.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #26
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
This one belongs in Beasts or Thumpers.. but not in GSpot. Moved to Beasts..
Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
This one belongs in Beasts or Thumpers.. but not in GSpot. Moved to Beasts..
Maybe this should just be in trip planning? Seems like "what's the best bike for a round-the-world journey" fits in there pretty well. (I'd be surprised if there wasn't one there already.)
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,682
F800GS without a doubt but then, you'd expect me to say that!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Mountain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
By coincidence I was talking to Greg Frazier on this subject. He said there were only about 7 BMW dealers in South America. He has been around the world 5 times - mostly on a KLR. Go look at www.horizonsunlimited.com which is a world moto site. There is quite a bit of discussion there on which bike to use. David

There are few more dealers now, 4 in Argentina, and one in each of the capitals from Chile to Columbia, Brazil, etc. Nice guys typically, very happy to see travellers and very cheap labour rates:) Parts are usually pricey due to import taxes. Still, can be a looong way if you have to get something and can't wait until you hit the next capital.

By contrast, and I'm surprised that this rarely gets mentioned, if you ride from Turkey to Egypt and down the east coast to South Africa, guess how many BMW dealers there are in between? The answer, is one, and that is in the country just above South Africa, Namibia. There is an ex BMW mechanic in Nairobi though and he gets to see everyone coming through.

Wandering point, but it's a mindset change to go overseas. When riding in North America, Europe, South Africa, and a few other places you rely (in your mind at least) on having parts and service somewhat relatively accessible. The shift when you head out is to start thinking more independently, carry what you think is critical, plan where you can get things like tires, and the hardest part of all, is to accept that some things you can't plan for and shit will happen, things will break, and you know what, everything will be just fine.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #30
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,873
Whatever you get, take it completely apart at least once before your trip. It will help in every way.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote