Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,754
Sorry, I didn't read past the first post.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Big E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
More PMB pics

Here are a few more pics of the PMB on my bike. Can't say enough about how tough this thing is.

Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman
I have a PMB rack on an 07 EXC. It is built like a brick shithouse, but man it was a PITA to install. It's like putting a chinese puzzle together, and a few of the pieces they sent me needed filing/adjusting to get the bodywork to fit back on right.

Now that it's on though, I love it.
You're not kidding. The instructions could have been a lot more consistent (they are really clear in sections and totally lacking in others) plus there are some subtle ordering dependencies which make the process quite frustrating.

My biggest gripe (other than it not fitting square) is that they don't seem to have given much thought to maintenance of an EXC bike. Unless I'm mistaken the right side bolt which secures the black fender extension to the subframe is made totally inaccessible by the placement of the right side subframe bracket. If you need to get this off (to access turn signal wiring/etc) you're going to have to remove the whole rack and exhaust.

I found the whole design of the right side/exhaust mount to be frustrating. The two spacers are tricky to fit in and with the weight of the exhaust hanging off the bolts I was worried about cross threading them. The right side extension bracket is odd too as it requires trimming the outside of the fender extension. If they just designed it slightly narrower that wouldn't have been necessary.

Lots of things about the install leave you scratching your head about the design logic which is unfortunate for a $260 item. Clearly KTM didn't make it easy to design something like this but I think PMB could have done a better job. To me it seems like they designed it on one of the models without the black fender extension and only later tried it on an EXC.

Anways I finally got it don (all the drilling and plastic removal didn't thrill me much) only to find that the rack surface didn't fit well. The left side arm appears to be too far forward and/or also slightly angled. The rear hole on the left side arm is a good 1/4" away from contacting the rack and the front is slightly too far forward. I can make the rack fit on by forcing it but then the rack is visibly off center. Anyone else had similar problems?

There is obviously zero adjustment on the right side subframe bracket (as it mounts to the exhaust mounting holes). The left side subframe bracket is secured to the subframe via two clamps and for a while I thought I could maybe move it back but after trimming more plastic and then pondering it for a while I think there is only one position this can be in also due to the shape of the piece.

I called them, they were helpful but had no idea. I'd have sent a pic but I recently drowned by digital camera.

In closing I can't in all honesty recommend this unless you like frustration. Also, for the price they are asking, I kind of expect them to include the 21/64 sized drill bit that you have to use

Too bad, I really liked the PMB rack on my LC4. On the plus side, if I ever get it installed to my satisfaction it's gonna be bomber strong. The subframe does get reinforced (which is why it's so frustrating and requires all the plastic cutting of the fender extension -- not really visible unless you lie underneath and look up).

Tony

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 10:42 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
got promotobillet too, is my second 525 and rack comes with me on both bikes.

nice for TT rear enduro bag or for a 5lts gas tank when needed.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
got promotobillet too, is my second 525 and rack comes with me on both bikes.

nice for TT rear enduro bag or for a 5lts gas tank when needed.

I've been searching for a bag like this, one that fit the PMB rack but wasn't too large. Can you post some more pics from above/etc? AKso what is the TT part#, they seem to list several bags.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Laugh

it is a TT enduro2 bag

Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #22
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Sorry, this slipped by me two months ago -
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
My biggest gripe (other than it not fitting square) is that they don't seem to have given much thought to maintenance of an EXC bike. Unless I'm mistaken the right side bolt which secures the black fender extension to the subframe is made totally inaccessible by the placement of the right side subframe bracket. If you need to get this off (to access turn signal wiring/etc) you're going to have to remove the whole rack and exhaust.
Yeah, that worried me some too as I put it on. I kind of figured I'd hope for the best and that I'd never have to take it off. Famous last words, I know...

Quote:
Anways I finally got it don (all the drilling and plastic removal didn't thrill me much) only to find that the rack surface didn't fit well. The left side arm appears to be too far forward and/or also slightly angled. The rear hole on the left side arm is a good 1/4" away from contacting the rack and the front is slightly too far forward. I can make the rack fit on by forcing it but then the rack is visibly off center. Anyone else had similar problems?

There is obviously zero adjustment on the right side subframe bracket (as it mounts to the exhaust mounting holes). The left side subframe bracket is secured to the subframe via two clamps and for a while I thought I could maybe move it back but after trimming more plastic and then pondering it for a while I think there is only one position this can be in also due to the shape of the piece.
The left side is where I did most surgery to their parts. I think I was more concerned about getting the top orange panel back on, but perhaps that same interference pushes that bracket back. IIRC I filed/ground A LOT of metal off the outside and top of the clamp pieces on the left side to get it all to fit in the right place with the bodywork.

Quote:
I called them, they were helpful but had no idea. I'd have sent a pic but I recently drowned by digital camera.

In closing I can't in all honesty recommend this unless you like frustration. Also, for the price they are asking, I kind of expect them to include the 21/64 sized drill bit that you have to use
I was being diplomatic in my first post, but that's kind of my feeling too - for the money they charge, it should be easier and more sorted out for install & maintenance. You have to really, really want this rack to deal with the install. I learned from a GPR stabilizer kit experience I bought from them in the past not to expect much help, so I didn't even call with this. If you need an easy 1-2-3 install, don't buy this rack.

For bags, FWIW go check out the luggage section of a Wal-Mart. They have a number of small toiletry and mini-bags that look to fit almost perfect on the back, with room for irons, tubes, RU-Glyde, and some tools. I picked up two (for a whopping $10 a piece) last week, haven't gotten to try them yet.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #23
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Thumb

an spŕnish fellow has this setup, it is the tt tool bag on the promotobillet rack.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
katoomryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
go rackless

I stumbled on these a little while ago - seems like a pretty cool idea, but I haven't tried it yet
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
If anyone's tried 'em yet let me know.
1995 250 EXC - Sold
katoomryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
it is a TT enduro2 bag

Interesting. in your earlier pics of it (on your bike) it looked rectangular but obviously not.

I'll give it a try as $80 is a lot more palettable than the $200 for the TT tool bag your buddy has.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
jgreer
hidden for privacy

Oddometer: 171
giantloop :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomryder
I stumbled on these a little while ago - seems like a pretty cool idea, but I haven't tried it yet
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
If anyone's tried 'em yet let me know.
Fantastic Very happy with the construction. Only problem is I'm working out of town so I haven't used it yet. I was able to load it up with a crap load of stuff and it all fit with no problems. Here's a picture.

I added the tank bag for the stuff you might need on the fly. Hopefully I'll get to use it all soon.

2007 KTM 450 exc-g
2007 Triumph Daytona 675

'Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, It’s more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today,might burn your ass tomorrow......'
jgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Quote:
Interesting. in your earlier pics of it (on your bike) it looked rectangular but obviously not.

I'll give it a try as $80 is a lot more palettable than the $200 for the TT tool bag your buddy has.
Yes, the shape is not as rectangular as it looked on my bike. When mounted on promotobillet rack it leaves some free space, it doesn´t fill up all the rack surface i mean.

But on my HP2, it fits exactly above the rear rack surface of my wunderlich rear rack. I´ve also carried this bag on my former X-challenge, GSA1200 and KTM950ADV.

I even carried this bag on the 525 with no rack, directly above the rear fender, then that particular shape fits perfect, but there is no reasonable anchoring points to fit it , it moves constantly, then the weight tends to bend rear fender. If you decide to tie it up with an up-down TT short strap, you have to pass it below the fender which is not particularly advisable for jumps ˇˇˇˇˇˇ
Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreer
Fantastic Very happy with the construction. Only problem is I'm working out of town so I haven't used it yet. I was able to load it up with a crap load of stuff and it all fit with no problems. Here's a picture.

I added the tank bag for the stuff you might need on the fly. Hopefully I'll get to use it all soon.
I have my SXC for luggage/camping trips .... right now I just want a small bag on the back rack of the EXC to carry tools (hate having them in my backpack).

Maybe I'll end up selling the SXC, time will tell and just using the 450.

If so, maybe I'd get the giant loop bag .... I don't love the idea of drilling the plastics but I guess thats the price you pay for lightweight.

What do you get in yours? You have a pic? I thought there used to be a pic on the giantloop site but I can't find it now, I know Wachs has his packing list up there, I think he just uses a bivi sack.

crazybrit screwed with this post 11-05-2008 at 04:59 PM
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
jgreer

That setup has some serious drool factor

Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #30
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Here's another, might be a knock off of the Kytech (which I have seen) and can also attest to, but as noted it is not cheap. This also fairly local to me is made by another guy and is much less, $180cdn/us.

2 Wheel Central Rack

Actually he makes a few models, and by the pictures they look similiar to others posted here, so not sure if he is reverse engineering them...

I placed an order for one already, should be arriving any day, I'll post pic's.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote