Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I have a buddy who did this mod. Not for everybody and certainly not for me.

It does not make the front tire diameter smaller, well at least in his case because he used such a huge rear tire and it has so much meat on it that the circumference is almost identical to what the stock 21" tire had.

He likes the way it made it handle in sand, mud, and generally anything that is soft.

I do ride a lot of dirt scoots and the small 21 inch up front is proven to have less rolling resistance, lighter, and MUCh easier to change a tire out on it when you get a flat.

They do IMO look sort of cool (But then I STILL own both a 200cc and a 350cc Big Wheel) so I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
jeeeez...this thread hit me head on.

my klr, with 18" front.

my tw

and yes, my vstrom1000

tpar1220 screwed with this post 08-16-2008 at 11:51 AM
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
seems to be a wierd klr owner affliction. they're all cheap-asses and then spend big $ on this mod. maybe the klr is an upgrade from their previous ride a tw200. any way going down to a smaller front tire helps in corning on road, yes, but then klr is VERY far from a road racer. it has crap 20yr old suspension technology. next these guys take that "better handling" smaller front wheel and slap a crap handling rear dual sport tire on it? how confused is that? there is a reason off-road bikes use 21" up front...so they can get through the rougher terrain. small front tire klr owners will say they have better traction , which would be true because the tire is wider than a 21, but they're just plodding along anyway (like the tw200 does) so does it matter??? they've also now decreased their ground cleance. in the end i think it's a group mentality thing that started by someone with a klr (patman?) and others think this setup is better. don't bother!!! spend your money on emulators, fork springs, fork brace, bigger front rotor & braided brake lines for the front of a klr. you'll now have late 90s suspension & braking technology which will work good enough.
Wow eakins, ease up Bro.

I know plenty of folks with an 18' rim on their KLR650, and it does make a big difference in hard off road riding.

The whole point is to increase the footprint for loose soils. I watched The Patman smokin accross the White Rim Trail in Moab on his KLR705 at 70+ mph, and the 18 rim & large tire made that possible (as well as the full Cogent suspension).

To say the Cogent suspension isn't necessary tells me you have never ridden a KLR650 with it installed. I have a full setup (Moab shock/springs/emulators) and it DOES make the KLR a much better bike in all situations.

Wanna ride my bike? Come with us on the Big Dog Ride Aug 24th (Rockies Forum) and I'll hand you the keys to my bike for a while.

Then you can make an informed evaluation.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
Wow eakins, ease up Bro.

I know plenty of folks with an 18' rim on their KLR650, and it does make a big difference in hard off road riding.

The whole point is to increase the footprint for loose soils. I watched The Patman smokin accross the White Rim Trail in Moab on his KLR705 at 70+ mph, and the 18 rim & large tire made that possible (as well as the full Cogent suspension).

To say the Cogent suspension isn't necessary tells me you have never ridden a KLR650 with it installed. I have a full setup (Moab shock/springs/emulators) and it DOES make the KLR a much better bike in all situations.

Wanna ride my bike? Come with us on the Big Dog Ride Aug 24th (Rockies Forum) and I'll hand you the keys to my bike for a while.

Then you can make an informed evaluation.
his suspension work helped him ride that fast NOT the tire.
if a smaller wider tire worked better than racers around the world with any budget needed to win would use that setup...sorry man they DON'T. the arguement is bogus.
21" up front. patman is also a real good rider, don't forget that fact! i still maintain the mod is a waste of money/time & is better spent on suspension upgrades. this mod is steering noob klr owners towards something that the $ is better spent on. i used to own a klr so i know the suspension/fr brakes are a complete joke to start with on a klr. of course eldon carl will argue that is perfect because it flexes...yeah right. kawi was just being cheap & since there are few DS options in the US (vrs the rest of the world) so KLR rider justify their purchase. my klr replacement was a DR which isn't the bling by any means with suspension but in stock form the 43mm are decently stiff and with emulators & springs (done by cogent no less) works very well. re-did my rear also. one reason i sold the klr is because i could do ALL the fr suspension work and those shocks are still too small for the weight of the bike. the DR is better off-road ( & the way it's put together for that matter) in everyway than the KLR assuming equal riders. of course that's not saying much as the KTM suspension is just laughing at all of us.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
Hondo

I beg to differ my freind.

With the full Cogent Suspension, my KLR has the best avail suspension period.

As far as the front tire goes, the larger footprint make a huge difference in sand & loose terrain. I have ridden my 21 with D606s and Patman's with the smaller diameter rim. No comparison, the wider tire on the 18 is much more stable in the loose.

I do agree though that as a mod I would also recommend other upgrades first.

Suspension from Cogent, a eagle fork brace, subframe bolts & good off road tires.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
JSEARS
Armed Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
if a smaller wider tire worked better than racers around the world with any budget needed to win would use that setup...sorry man they DON'T. the arguement is bogus.
21" up front. patman is also a real good rider, don't forget that fact! i still maintain the mod is a waste of money/time & is better spent on suspension upgrades. this mod is steering noob klr owners towards something that the $ is better spent on. i used to own a klr so i know the suspension/fr brakes are a complete joke to start with on a klr. of course eldon carl will argue that is perfect because it flexes...yeah right. kawi was just being cheap & since there are few DS options in the US (vrs the rest of the world) so KLR rider justify their purchase. my klr replacement was a DR which isn't the bling by any means with suspension but in stock form the 43mm are decently stiff and with emulators & springs (done by cogent no less) works very well. re-did my rear also. one reason i sold the klr is because i could do ALL the fr suspension work and those shocks are still too small for the weight of the bike. the DR is better off-road ( & the way it's put together for that matter) in everyway than the KLR assuming equal riders. of course that's not saying much as the KTM suspension is just laughing at all of us.
Your still a turd, and looks like you are out numberd on here. Motocross racers use a 21 true, but look at what they are riding on, for the most part hard pack track that has huge whoops, bumps and jumps. You ever tried a 21 in soft sand or deep mud with a 400lb DS, your front digs in and then your fucked. I agree with your statement about "real dirt bikes" should have a 21 but also look at their weight 250lbs or less, were talkin about 400lb+ DS bikes, that fair better with a wider footprint. And were not racing them on a track with 3 foot woops where you need a 21. So you can take all your KLR bashing and piss off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SJulianYZ125/featured
JSEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #22
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,387
Quote:

Eakins, the ktm 640 uses the same diameter rear shock shaft as the KLR, except its longer, wich inturn makes it weaker!! They just added a valve and nitrogen. For 75 bucks I converted my KLR shock to the same. Its not rocket science. The front forks are fine with a brace and air. More bike than you can ever handle(no offense), and probably me also.

reguardless, Its cool your happy with your dr650, its a good bike, we have a couple in our group. The advantage off road only goes to the rider though. Choose your bike, the better rider wins. With equal riders, the rider haveing the better day wins.

Surprisingly I kinda agree with you on the front tire. I do think it would be smoother on the road. But for off road handling, it would be poor for high speed and agressive riding. Slow going it would work fine, and in sand it would be fine. Just not the most stable ride.

However, I have not rode a KLR with a large front tire, I have rode alot of bikes though.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #23
RitualKLR OP
Jenkem Baron NWF-NOLA

Oddometer: 36
Thumb

Hm seems like this topic stirred up all sorts of shit. Thanks for the information though to all who provided it; This is not something I'm planning on doing tomorrow or ever necessarily. I mainly just saw it and it sparked interest and curiousity. I do agree that suspension upgrades for the KLR are a good idea, and as soon as I can scrouge up the $$ the larger front rotor and braided lines are in order. Incidentaly, patmans bike was the first one I saw like this, and no, my main concern isnt just 'looking badass', regardless of the fact that it does look badass. Im mainly concerned with the on/off road handling changes which it causes and really the general purpose of doing this modification, which the above posts answered
RitualKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #24
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
For what it's worth, I have an 18" rear on mine, soon to be followed by a 18 front. Cant wait.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #25
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,387
Quote:
my main concern isnt just 'looking badass', regardless of the fact that it does look badass
Yea, it looks pretty gnarley!!

In my opinion I think it would be just fine for most of the KLR riders out there. Its cool, its different, and really won't hurt anything. And riding through sand and such at slow speeds should be easier.

Its just not for agressive riding, not that you can't ride it agressive, but I guess along that line, the KLR is not meant for agressive riding

Now why didn't some one tell me that before I made a fool out of myself?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ball
I've been digging into this topic (sort of) and I think the real difference in going with the smaller rim diameter up front is how it rolls over rough ground. I.E. the smaller diameter will have a harder time in the rough stuff. That's why true off road bikes have 21" rims etc. Yes you can get a fatter tire but it wont roll thru the dips and bumps as easily.

Here's a link to a little info I've been digging up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...78#post7645978
Not a KLR but i put an 18" on the front of my plated WR400. The above quote is crap. I've lost less than an inch in tire height compaired to a 21" setup. I'm not seeing a down side myself. Better traction everywhere not just sand. I notice it more on hardpack roads and pavement. MUCH better braking performance. Running a 4.0 Ching Shin. Figured i'd try a 35$ tire to test the theory.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #27
Hondo

I just whipped up this graphic to emphasize the Fat vs Skinny tire dynamic.

Which one will provide the bigger footprint & more stability in the dirt?

Hondo screwed with this post 08-17-2008 at 02:11 PM
Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
any way going down to a smaller front tire helps in corning on road, yes, but then klr is VERY far from a road racer. it has crap 20yr old suspension technology. next these guys take that "better handling" smaller front wheel and slap a crap handling rear dual sport tire on it? how confused is that? there is a reason off-road bikes use 21" up front...so they can get through the rougher terrain.

which explains why the BMW GS has a 21" front wheel, right?
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Was fortunate enough to get a free set of rims for the KLR. Stock rear with a 19in front. Put a set of Anakees on them. I did not notice much of a difference but my 19 year old son, who rides more aggressively than I, did notice a difference. At first he hated it, thought it changed the steering, making it quicker, after getting accustomed to it he now loves it.

I just like being able to have the benefit of having some street tires that will get better mileage. The other set will have more aggressive dirt tires.

I don't know if I would have spent the money to buy a new set of rims. The rims from Woodys Wheel Works are sweet. But then the rims would be worth more than the bike!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Was fortunate enough to get a free set of rims for the KLR. Stock rear with a 19in front. Put a set of Anakees on them. I did not notice much of a difference but my 19 year old son, who rides more aggressively than I, did notice a difference. At first he hated it, thought it changed the steering, making it quicker, after getting accustomed to it he now loves it.

I just like being able to have the benefit of having some street tires that will get better mileage. The other set will have more aggressive dirt tires.

I don't know if I would have spent the money to buy a new set of rims. The rims from Woodys Wheel Works are sweet. But then the rims would be worth more than the bike!
Have you priced wheels from Woody's Wheel Works? Why would you think his wheels would be worth more than the bike? I'm not giving you grief but that's a broad blanket statement there. Woody built me a new set of 19/17" Excel wheels with new stainless steel spokes and nipples. He used my stock Kawasaki hubs. The grand total was just a bit over $700. If you have a $700 KLR let me know, I'll come get it. Woody's wheels are very reasonable. The bike handles better, brakes better and all round looks better with the new black Excel wheels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't listen to the naysayers that say it's not worth the price and all that crap. Most of them have no experience with different wheels. I lost a whopping 1/2" in tire size going from a stock 21" wheel and tire to a 19" wheel with 110/80-19 Anakee VR tire. It's the best mod I've done to my new '08. This Winter mine will be tubeless and be shod with Conti knobbies. There's a reason the BWM GS comes with 19/17" wheels and tires. They're just better and there are more tire choices! I can run street tires, sticky racetires, dualsport tires and knobbies.

Remember, anyone on the internet anyone can spout any kind of crap opinion they want. You need to weed through all that and get the opinions of the guys that have done it. If some is giving an opinion without any information about their experience with mod, then be very leary they probably have an agenda.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote