User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Mohawk Badger
Registered

Oddometer: 135
Thumb Touring on the Burgman

I love my 650 and have done many 250+ mile days on it as well as one day of 532 miles (mostly on back roads).

Is it a great touring machine? I think so but it does have some negatives to consider.
1. Range. I can barely get 200 miles from a tank which I think is the minimum for a bike with a "touring" designation.
2. It sucks on bad dirt and gravel roads. What does this have to do with touring? Unless you are damn sure you are going to restrict yourself to pavement make sure you are willing to put up with the Burgman's poor road performance (I do).
3. The seat is only so-so.
4. The windscreen is not acceptable for riders over 5'10". I added a laminar lip which helped a lot.

I have ridden a number of motorcycles (mostly dual-sport) and the Burgman is this best bike I've had for the combination commuting/errand running/touring life it has to lead.
Mohawk Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk Badger
2. It sucks on bad dirt and gravel roads. What does this have to do with touring? Unless you are damn sure you are going to restrict yourself to pavement make sure you are willing to put up with the Burgman's poor road performance (I do).
I have ridden a number of motorcycles (mostly dual-sport) and the Burgman is this best bike I've had for the combination commuting/errand running/touring life it has to lead.
Badger,
I sure you are aware of this since you have ridden dual sport bikes but dropping the air pressure in the tires sure helps my SYM HD200 handle much better on gravel/dirt roads.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Capt-Kevlar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I know this thread is old but since its been revived....
The Burg 650 is an absolute blast to tour on. I've done multiple long distance multi state trips on her, w/ the longest day in the saddle at 800+mi(not my longest but still respectable). The insane under the seat storage allows you to pack a lot of stuff nice and neat and outta sight. Couple that with a Givi top box and you'll have room to spare. I've ridden in the mountains a bunch and the 650 will not leave you wanting more power. On a recent trip to the TN NC mountain area( Deals Gap, The Snake)and I passed more than a few bikes and left a few full on sport bikes dazed and confused as to why they couldnt catch a damn scooter. Bottom line is I wouldnt hesitate to jump on and ride to the ends of the earth if need be. The fact that you are not isolated to footpegs really allows you to move your feet around, allowing you to put many many more miles in the saddle over the day compared to a traditional bike set up. If you are not into the whole ego thing, the Burgman makes one helluva tourer

On a side note, I have added new Racetech springs and emulators to the forks. A most do mod, as the stock set up sucks. A clearview screen also helps if the stock windscreen is not up to your liking.
Capt-Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
ST1300A to Burgman Exec

I am resurrecting this thread from the dead! I am seriously considering switching from my present ST1300A to a Burgman Executive. I tour about 10000 miles a year, always carry my 30# dog, and camping gear. Any other opinions on this my plan???? Do tiree wear much more quickly on scooters?? Are there other scooters more suitable for long distance touring, etc?

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'd say tires wear similar on scooters and bikes. Maybe a little less since there is not as much torque chewing up rubber in the rear. I have a silverwing and the OEM Bridgestone Hoop on the rear lasted ~10k miles. The tires tend to be cheaper than larger MC tires too. Most can be had for 50-75 per.

Most big scoots have ~50 liters of storage underneath which is similar to a set of saddlebags or a top box. This leaves room to add both so it is easy to up 150 liters or more of storage on a scoot and still have room for a passenger.

I've never ridden a Burgman 650 so I can't comment on it specifically but I love my Silver Wing and I can't see the need for any other bike. It fills every role imaginable. Auto trans for effortless commuting, low CoG for unloaded fun in the twisties, plenty of power and room for loaded touring.

Scooters are a great jack of all trades. Sure, if I had the money, I would have 2 or 3 different bikes for different occasions, but being limited as I am, I can't imagine having anything but my Silver Wing. It is my car and it does a damn fine job in any situation I put it in.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #21
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I am resurrecting this thread from the dead! I am seriously considering switching from my present ST1300A to a Burgman Executive. I tour about 10000 miles a year, always carry my 30# dog, and camping gear. Any other opinions on this my plan???? Do tiree wear much more quickly on scooters?? Are there other scooters more suitable for long distance touring, etc?
No comparison between the ST and the Burgie. I had an ST1100 and now own 2 Burgmen - one is my daily commuter and the second (actually the first) my adventure bike.

I put on around 10,000 miles a year commuting and similar on the two or three big rides I do each year. One big ride I did in 2008 was over 25,000 miles (with over 3,000 miles of dirt/sand) and the Burgie lapped it up..

The Burgman has much more storage space, handles far better (easy turn in / transitions in the twisties) and is far more comfortable due to big screen, high bars, wide comfy seat and huge range of different seating / foot positions.

Tyres last twice as long on the Burgman - 1 get around 15,000 miles out of a rear and only half that on the ST.

Only bike you will find more comfortable is a Goldwing - no other scooter compares.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
I have an 05 burg 650. It would be a fine long distance tourer and it can be ridden hard in the corners like a sportbike. Heck, you can even take it off road! It'll do pretty much anything you ask of it.

The manual thumb shift is a gimmicky feature that you'll probably try once and never use it again. It's silly if you ask me. Same with the power button. The power button is ok if you want to get the jump on a car or harley next to you at the stoplight but the added engine braking when you slow is really annoying.

I've installed an alarm, am/fm radio w/ipod input and 2 speakers, radar detector, stebel air horn, rear box, LEDs in the mirrors connected to the turn signals and more.

You can pick up a low mileage 2005 and newer for less than $4000 if you're vigilant.

D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
nuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Yeah, it should be a great touring scooter. It is easy to ride, smooth and quiet engine.

Only con with the bike is the suspension and the weight. It could ride a lot better and be lighter. But the CG is very low, so it is very easy to handle or even pick up if you ever have to.

I decided to get a BMW R1200GS/Adv for the long ride. My legs are just a bit long for the Burgman. After an hour on it, my knees are aching. The GS/A is more comfortable for me for long periods of time and I can stand up on the pegs dirt bike style to stretch out. The suspension is amazingly good too. Bumps that loosen the fillings in my teeth on the Burgman are just completely soaked up by the BMW. The 9-gallon fuel tank offers huge range, but it adds to the top-heaviness. That's 50 lbs of gas when full.

Even though it is a bit lighter than my Burgman 650 exec, the GSA is top heavy and a little harder to handle and a lot harder to pick up.

2009 Suzuki Burgman 650
Matches my purse.
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
HappyPuppy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I had one and I really liked it. Weather protection was even better than on my FJR. the only drawback is they are heavy. Don't tip one over, the smaller tires make getting it upright a bear
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,951
I have had three 650's, and had one of them up to, as measured on the GPS, 126mph. I have ridden as much as 9 hours in a single day, and the only things I would change would be the windshield, and maybe the seat. Depends on whether I',m planning any more 9 hour days. I was fine up to about 5, but after that.......

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #26
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
I have had three 650's, and had one of them up to, as measured on the GPS, 126mph. I have ridden as much as 9 hours in a single day, and the only things I would change would be the windshield, and maybe the seat. Depends on whether I',m planning any more 9 hour days. I was fine up to about 5, but after that.......

126 MPH on GPS? They'll actually get to those speeds? Damn, not bad at all!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #27
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
126 MPH on GPS? They'll actually get to those speeds? Damn, not bad at all!
My 400 was at 96 gps when I passed a guy and I was still accelerating when I let off the throttle after the pass. I was amazed how quickly the silly thing took off from 70ish. It was the first time I'd asked for power to pass and boy did I get it. I would expect that the 650 would have it over the 400 b at least 20mph.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
velocity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Your dog will likely love it

My longest ride was 900 miles in 14 hours. It handled it great. The last hour of each 3 hour stint would find me getting a bit squirmy, but a 10 minute break for fuel cured me. A new seat and an XXL shield could have made it more comfortable - but I found myself arriving home at 1:00 am - ready to go another few hundred miles if I had do. I've never felt that way on any other of the 17 bikes I've had so far.

The suspension could use work. But almost all bikes could. Even my DR650 with miles of suspension travel needed work. There are options out there. But so far so good.

When I ended up riding to Seattle to San Fran via Highway 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg - there was no other bike I would have rather been on besides a big-bore supermoto - and riding that for the rest of the trip would have SUCKED.
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #29
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
I have had three 650's, and had one of them up to, as measured on the GPS, 126mph.
You're pretty good. I usually have trouble remembering the details of my dreams when I wake up.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
My 400 was at 96 gps when I passed a guy and I was still accelerating when I let off the throttle after the pass. I was amazed how quickly the silly thing took off from 70ish. It was the first time I'd asked for power to pass and boy did I get it. I would expect that the 650 would have it over the 400 b at least 20mph.

Thats pretty good for a 400! I'd been told the 400 tops out at like 85-90 MPH on GPS on here before and won't get near 100 MPH. But maybe it can?
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote