Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #46
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Hey Dicky, thx for the upload. You, your men and your bikes are as brave and strong as a Turk.
Looking forward to more of those ventures.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #47
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Bread and Sheds

One fine Sunday we decided to head inland and see what topographic delights the area around Elmali, some 90 clicks North West had to offer. The Elmali region is renowned for producing fine apples. The mountain Elmali nestles in the lee of is called Elmadag (apple mountain). Elmali even has apple in its name (Elma) so why there aren't any photos of apples in this RR is beyond me

Anyway, off we tootled. Along the way I was curious about these buildings

Within no time at al Mehmet had located the owner and asked him to give me a guided tour

Seems as though they are used as storage sheds for all manner of stuff including animal feed. Solidly built and two storeyed, they would make great overnight accommodation. We couldn't leave without being introduced to the lady of the house who was in the middle of a bread baking session. Not sure whether she was trying to fill the shed or baking for the village but it sure smelt good

After our brief interlude we headed off. The area around Elmali turned out to be rugged rock with the odd bush clinging to whatever soil it could find, as opposed to the lush pine forrested landscape a few hundred metres closer to sea level. Great tracks though and a good deal cooler than the coast

Mehmet holding it all upright

On the way back to base we noticed another strange building. There wasn't a door to gain entrance, just the one window. We pondered but were still mystified. Anybody got any ideas as to its use?

4 mates, 4 bikes ....................etc

Cheers,

Dickyb

Dickyb screwed with this post 01-12-2009 at 01:53 PM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #48
Dave-in-Turkey
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...t/100_1206.jpg

Hey Dave,

Could it be a death thing, kinda like a chaple of rest, I found one on Friday when Teo and I went up in the mountains, I innocently thought quaint old Turkish house but Teo said no its a well cover, so we looked inside and it was freshly OCCUPIED !!! Neadless to say we scarpered away pretty quick.

IF YOU DON'T RIDE, YOU DON'T KNOW.....
Dave-in-Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #49
Dave-in-Turkey
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
TUBRE - asked a friend in İstanbul, a Tubre is a burial chamber of a Holy person and there are also some very large ornate Tubres which were for the Sultans, the tradition comes from the Ottomen period.

Dave....

IF YOU DON'T RIDE, YOU DON'T KNOW.....
Dave-in-Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #50
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Cheers Dave,

You weren't wide of the mark with your first reply. We got a strange feeling when we were there, a look but don't touch kind of thing. I'm glad we didn't disturb the place.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #51
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb
Aferdersiniz Turk arkadaslar. Her hafta ben Turkche ders , ince Turkche okul yapmak, ama ben im cok eski ve yavas!! Simdi ben Turkiye yaziyorum, Turkey degil.

Iy gunler,

Dickyb
Çok düşüncelisin.İlginden dolayı teşekkürler.

the venturer screwed with this post 01-11-2009 at 01:10 PM
Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #52
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Turkey
TUBRE - asked a friend in İstanbul, a Tubre is a burial chamber of a Holy person and there are also some very large ornate Tubres which were for the Sultans, the tradition comes from the Ottomen period.

Dave....
Türbe.....
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #53
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Around this time of year we wake up to find our valley blanketed in mist on mornings after a clear night sky. The mist usually lifts around 1000am after the sun has had chance to warm the land up. Jump on a bike and ride above it, to a fire watchtower for instance, and the views are quite eerie

Do be polite to the local wildlife on the way though

And you may be rewarded by the sight of two little babes

10kms North is the "marble valley" a shortcut from Dirgenler to Demre which starts off as a beautiful scenic ride

Up in the cliff sides you can see the final resting places of an ancient civilisation, hewn out of solid rock

Venture further along the valley and one can witness marble quarrying on an industrial scale

These blocks are big

We have seen a noticable increase in the expansion of these quarries over the past three years, springing up throughout various valleys. Could be something to do with the amount of development taking place on the coast. Either that or the area is particularly rich in this resource.

Turn right at Demre and you will come to Simena and the uninhabited island of Kekova

and more ancient resting places, some sticking out of the water

Some 2000 plus years ago there was a sizeable earthquake in the area which led to a number of older buildings becoming submerged. The remains of these buildings can be seen on a boat ride

Riding further along the coast will bring you to Kas which has its own strange rock formation

If you look at the cliff directly above the flagpole you should see a mans head, to the right you should be able to make out a shoulder and the rest of a body, the man is laying on his side looking towards you. Or maybeI've just had too many of these

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #54
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

for the upload. Looking forward to more and more.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #55
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Hi The Venturer,

Thank you for your interest. I hope to do some more topical reports in the future. i have a number of projects in mind. It's a great country and there is no shortage of subject matter.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #56
cymruduc
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 34
More RR's from Turkey

Dickyb,

Love the pics along the coast...not to keen for snow though Enjoyed
the RR overall. Will return to Turkey some day in the future.

Jim
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #57
Andysr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi Dickyb, i am leaving Scotland mid June heading for Russia to get the ferry from Sochi to Trabzon. i will then be heading South West as i am meeting family in Fethiye. i want to travel on trails as much as possible and apart from 'the road of stones' i have no real route planned. can you recommend a route? Cheers Andy
Andysr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #58
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure I can be of much use to you in recommending an off-road route from Trabzon to Fethiye as we travelled with our belongings and two dogs in a van from the UK to Edirne then hugged the coast until we reached Kas.

A useful site for info would be

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/country/turkey/

Paola Volpera of One More Mile (OMM) is un tout circular bon oeuf (all round good egg) He helped me with our route.

Also try Dave-In-Turkey on this forum. He is near Fethiye.

Would love to meet upwhen you get over here and hear of your travels through Russia

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #59
Andysr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi Dickyb, thanks for your advice, i will follow up on your suggestions.I visited Turkey on a family holiday last year and was very impressed by it. looking at your photos made me envious of the life you have for yourself with unlimited access to great trails with spectacular scenery. i would be good to meet up in Turkey, my estimated arrival date for SW Turkey is the 14th July Cheers Andy
Andysr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #60
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Houses and stuff

One thing you do notice around these parts

when you're not watching your mates fruitlessly trying to kickover a Big Red Pig

is the variety of living accommodation. Here in the villages you get older houses made of stone and wood with a mud rendering

(Don't let the dates on the pics fool you, these houses are older than that my camera is playing up ). Notice the horizontal wooden beams above and below the windows. Forerunners of the reinforced concrete pillars used these days to prevent earthquake damage. More modern buildings are constructed out of concrete and hollow brick rendered with plaster. The houses are built and occupied one floor at a time. The buildings can go upward when time and money are available, and increasing family size dictates it

The occupiers of these houses work the land and their greenhouses to produce all manner of tasty fruit and veg which they sell to cooperatives and at the weekly bazaar

Half an hour down the road

and one bumps into a completely different type of architecture

This one is up for a cool £1,200,000

I have no idea what the folk that live in these places do but I suspect that they would be hard pushed to produce one of these

Looks like it's gonna be cabbage and mash, cabbage soup, saurkraut...........,etc for the next week then

By the way, ten kicks later and the BRP started

Cheers,

Dickyb

Dickyb screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 12:09 PM