Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #961
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
............................After a great weekend at Adrian's it was time to take the bike out of the rubbish bins, reassemble it and head south for Bulgaria where we would take a break at Debbie and Andy's place in Idilevo before the final haul to Turkey and home

Somewhere along the Danube we came across this chap staring out from the rock face

which tickled the Mrs

Further along the Danube we crossed into Serbia and spent a pleasurable 80kms at 45 degrees to the horizontal as we battled a blustery side wind. Didn't dare take a photo in case my camera blew away. Lovely countryside though. I'll go back one day, when the wind has died down a bit

Joined the queue at the BG border

and realised the Bulgars were all watching Wimbledon on the telly

We'd booked a hotel in Backofbeyondograd and immaculate it was too. Once we'd checked in the owner ensured I knew how to lock the front door, wished us a good night and buggered offski Trusting lot these Bulgars

Anyway, the Mrs' stomach was rumbling so I decided to take her out for a slap up meal before I got a slap

I filled myself on cocktail sticks

while the Mrs washed down her meat balls and salad with a cheeky Pinot Grigio from the fridge

I had a sip and belatedly remembered that me and white wine don't mix

The following day we arrived at Idilevo and said hi to RTWDoug's dog Harley who was taking herself for her evening stroll

Home for the next few days was to be at Debbie and Andy's fine place to the right of Harley's wet nose.

At Doug's place I had a quick chat with Terry Brown while he was carrying out some personal hygiene

and waved him off as he went to explore Georgia and goodness knows where else

Tucked away in Doug's garage, all shiny and bright, was the other Harley.

The one I'd last seen him on in Tatvan, Turkey a few years ago

Pretty changeable whether up in BG this summer though.

Still time for a decent trail ride once the sky had brightened though

All too soon it was town to pack up and depart The next two days passed by in a blur of motorways, ferries and melting roads

Couldn't wait to see the pups when we got back. They COULD wait to see me

Thoughts? Well glad to know that the fortified churches are in the good hands of busty, jolly matriarchs who have taken it upon themselves to preserve these wonderful buildings. Glad to know too that the painted monasteries and wooden churches of Maramures and Bucovina contribute to the local economies as well as the spiritual needs of the coach loads of religious tourists bussed in daily, most of which spend a few bob at the local road side stalls. Glad to have met some lovely local friendly folk who forced me to bin a load of pre-conceived stereotypes and give myself a mental kicking for believing any of the popular press. Don't know about a short trip around Eastern Europe, I feel I've just returned from the road to Damascus. Bless you all

Cheers,

DickyB

Dickyb screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 06:07 AM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #962
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Georgia........Not Jawja.

Nattering to Terry Brown, Adrian Silindean and Doug Wothke had left Georgia on my mind. If these widely traveled folk were singing its praises I'd better tootle off and have a look see. House sitters were found, Cluj the Dalmatian pup repacked and the bike pointed north east for the 2000km ride to Georgia

The route to Georgia

passing Lake Eğirdir

and overnighting in Konya. Turkish cities aren't my favorite places on the planet but we managed to find a gaffe in the town centre overlooking a couple of important religious places. Can't say I'm overly crazy about lavish ornaments to imaginary sky folk when 100m from the marble and glitter old men and stray dogs compete for scraps. Still, they make for nice photies. Apparently the green dome is really important

Past Konya there is a straight stretch of road for 160kms to Aksaray. On numerous previous occasions along this road the boredom and heat had nearly convinced me to pour sugar in my tank, admit defeat and take the bus home. This time I wanted to see the salt lake (Tz Gl) along the way, so we did

Dickyb screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 06:56 AM
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #963
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.......In the nearby village the cutest little donkey was waiting for some baby donkey food.

A low guttural growl warned me who was looking after baby donk. Billy Big Dog and his little sis

A couple of Kangals. The scary collar being there to protect the neck when attacked by a similarly sized rival.

Anyway, hint taken and back to the long lonely highway

Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #964
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

...........Day 4 saw us in the Georgian valleys of Turkey or , more particularly, on the road between Erzerum and Artvin

Eventually arriving at the border north of Posof in the early evening.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #965
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.........Entry into Georgia was straightforward and even pleasant with a giggly bunch of Georges and Georginas on duty wishing us a pleasant stay in their country. We hovered in the south for a couple of days to acclimatise to the erratic driving and wandering cows then set off for Tusheti in the far northeast corner via the 2900 Abano Pass. We picked a day that promised good weather and headed off on the four hour 100km ride . It's a tough road two up Started off easy enough though

Plenty of water crossings to keep Juliet's boots clean

Two hours into the ride saw us above the deciduous treeline

The road behind

the road ahead

Finally we reached the Abano pass

Mist swirled up from the valley engulfing us periodically. Tourists in T shirts shivered in the chilly moisture laden breeze. Me? Still sweating from vertigo

Then it was downhill for about 800m and onwards to Omalo. Through verdant valleys dotted with tiny hamlets

until we reached our goal

Omalo is open for business from mid April to mid October. After that time the pass is closed, the road unmaintained and a handful of old folk left behind to tend their cattle over winter. We had the good fortune to speak to a charming local girl who was back in the area to visit her aunt after an absence of 14 years. She gave us a potted history of the place. The remains of the fortress and towers dominate the village

All too soon it was time to head back down the road. Back at the Abano Pass we bumped into Ivan from Murmansk on his KTM

A quick chat and a photo was all we could manage before we had to bugger off if we wanted to get back to town before dark

200kms and bouncing around on a pogo stick for ten hours failed to wipe the smile of Juliet's face

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #966
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thanx for the reports.

I so wana go back to Kas!
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #967
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
Great photos again DickyB! Was thinking of you and missing my GS when I was in Cesme two weeks ago for a wedding. Hope all is well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #968
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Do you guys travel 2 up on that Yammie? Do you mind reiterating what kind of bike it is again? Thx!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #969
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Yep sasho, we go everywhere two up, three up if you count the pooch. It is a 2004 Yamaha XT660R with 75000kms on the clock. Great bikes

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #970
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
It is a 2004 Yamaha XT660R with 75000kms on the clock.
Daymn!!
You've been busy

Thanks for sharing the info and for the great pics and stories!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #971
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
Thanks DCrider and NSFW. Didn't know anybody followed this nonsense

Cheers,

Dickyb

still here and enjoying every bit of it.

thanks for the latest update.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #972
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

........After experiencing the dizzy heights of the Abano pass we moved from the grim town of Telavi to Sighnaghi in the region of Kakheti, the wine producing area of Georgia. Sighnaghi was without doubt the prettiest town we saw in Georgia probably because most of it was new, or at least renovated. There was a certain Tuscan charm about the place

Even as the heavens opened

From there we tootled off to have a gander at the area of Davit Gareja on the border with Azerbaijan. Dave's Garage comprises of about 15 old monasteries spread over a large remote area. Only one of them, Lavra, is still a working monastery. The ride there was sublime

As was Lavra itself

Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #973
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,119
wow.
beautiful.
thank you.
yamalama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #974
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Thanks sasho, yamalama and NSFW for your interest and kind words. Hi Corona, whatever happened to the Triumph you had when you came visiting? Next stop Mt Kazbegi........
Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #975
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

........The next stop was Kazbegi on the Georgia Military Highway which leads into Russia. Two hours into the ride things went a bit flat

I was sure glad I'd brought my spanners, could have done with packing my tyre levers too though. Whipped the wheel off and flagged down a local bus. Ten minutes later got dropped off at a tyre repair blokes place. Sadly tyre repair bloke had left his son in charge though without passing on his tyre repairing skills. There was an array of home made tyre levers around the place but young lad wasn't going to let me use them. Fortunately, a passer buy blessed with huge tyre repairing skills dropped by to lend a hand. Two hours after leaving her I returned to Juliet who had spent her enforced rest trying to prevent idiotic Georgia drivers from flattening a starving stray with their blacked out Beemers

Up the Highway we went past some strange creation

and along miles of challenging road(works) eventually ending up in Kazbegi as the sun was setting. Throwing caution, and the budget, to the wind we treated ourselves to a room at the Rooms Hotel and awaited the dawn in order to see

the tiny church of Tsminda Sameba in the shadows of Mt Kazbegi.