Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #976
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
..............Juliet spent a fitful night tossing and turning as her imagination tortured her with frightful images of what may have befallen her four legged friend at the roadside. Lacking any titbits she'd managed to rustle up a few wild berries for the poor mite. First thing in the morning it was off to the shops for pasta, sausage and meat and then a two hour ride wondering. And there he was

Well at least with a full tummy he may be able to get some sleep, build up a bit of strength and have a day off from scavenging. Hopefully........
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #977
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Great trip dad :)

I know how Juliette feels,i usually carry an easy to reach packet of biscuits.....i really feel for the stray dogs........
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #978
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.........Much of the trip planning was determined by the weather forecast and therefore we zig-zagged across Georgia. With rain forecast for a week in the mountainous north we headed south to the flatlands and the cave monastery complex of Vardzia

The original fortification built by King Giorgi 111 in the 12th century mushroomed over the years into a virtual holy city housing over 2000 monks in dwellings carved from rock and ranging over 13 floors

Vardzia suffered a major earthquake in 1283 which shook away the outer walls of many of the caves

At the heart of the complex is the Church of the Assumption decorated with frescoes painted between 1184 and 1186. A rather imposing chap in black wasn't allowing photos of the interior

The church was well hung though

Back in the car park a couple of Russian behemoths had parked up

The pilots of which took the Micky out of our little Yamaha. We smiled wryly and moved on past Porky the Pig

high plains

chilling winds

to

Dickyb screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 11:58 AM
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #979
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
you always have some great pics!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #980
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Thanks davespreme for your interest. Jotting down these notes and posting some photos helps me keep a record of our travels and encourages me to try and improve my photography. Always nice to have feedback.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #981
FestinaLente
Daydreamer

Oddometer: 1
Hello DickyB, I've been reading your reports for a few days and finally I registered to this site. Everything about this topic is really great man! All the photos, 4-legged and 2-legged friends, bikes, roads, trails, adventures, landscapes, everything! :) I read it in 3 days and it really affected my performance in work hours in a bad way You are living in the part of Turkey that I love most, and also especially when you bought the bike that I am planning to buy in a few months (CRF) I felt a special connection to the topic heehe

I live and work in Ankara, the capital, but we have a summer house in Antalya, near Kumluca. (It's on the Lycian Road, coastal side of Kumluca and very close to the Gelidonya Lighthouse near Adrasan). Actually I think that you went that region at one point, when you were riding to Gagai. The village of our summer house is called Karaöz, surrounded with mountains on 3 side, and sea with one side. You go there from either a sea side road (Lycian Road), or a mountain road from Mavikent. All of the roads are great for riding. If you reach there, pass the place and continue on the Lycian Road following the coast line, there is a place called 'Melanippe' (Korsan Koyu in Turkish, which means Pirate's Retreat or Pirate's Cove) and I think you should see that place. Crystal clear and perfectly still water even when the sea is raging. Melanippe used to be one of the 9 or 10 safe havens for Cilician Pirates in Eastern Med Sea, and there are ruins everywhere, hidden in forest. If you pass Melanippe and continue further, there will be a fork in the road, following the trail on the left going up the mountain, you'll reach to the lighthouse, a great place to chill out. If you don't turn to the trail that climbs the lighthouse and continue on the road directly after Melanippe, you'll reach Adrasan (Çavuşköy)

Ah, good old days, I used to travel like a mountain goat on my BWs 100 scooter there But long summer holidays ended after I graduated from the university last year, and now business life is killing my soul
By the way, I want to thank Yamaha engineers for building such a scooter, it was damn bulletproof, rock solid

So, here are two photo of the lighthouse;
One of the islands there has a fresh water source on it

And this is the road and the sign to the lighthouse. But I'm not sure if this sign is when coming from the Karaöz direction or Adrasan direction.

This is the light house from the sea side; you see the tip of Cape Gelidonya here.

Here, I found a photo taken at Gelidonya lighthouse by an award winning sky/star photographer Tunc Tezel :)

On the map;

And here are some photos of Karaöz;

In this angle of view below, Melanippe, Gelidonya lighthouse and Adrasan are on the left direction, Finike and Kas are on the right direction (2 hours of riding distance)

The road to Gelidonya and Adrasan is hidden in the forest there, on the mountain seen in distance below;

And this is Melanippe, and Karaöz behind. I couldn't find a photo taken from the sea looking to the cove, but it's a really interesting and peaceful place (except Sundays, people swarm that place on Sundays :)) The roads are also great there. A hideout for great 'mangal's, lots of efes and great chillout, surrounded with rocks, ruins, Pinus Brutia, and crickets chanting.

If you give the names of the places that I mention here to your local fellas there, I'm sure that they know these places so you can ride together to travel if you guys want. Also, people in Karaöz are great :) Since the place is on Lycian road there are many tourists passing by, and also there are people from different European countries moved and living there, you will usually find someone who speaks English and help you guys with the directions

In addition to these, there is a road from Karaöz to a place called 'Tozluk' there. Tozluk is a place on the top of the mountain right next to Karaöz, and it is used as both a forest fire watch post above the area, a radio and gsm signal station, and as a take off point for paragliders. It has been a long time since I last climbed there, but I remember that people were able to go there with 4x4s, so I guess you can ride there too. I couldn't find lots of photos taken from that place, but I know that it would be a great adventure going there. Here's a photo, this will give the idea I guess;

And as I finish my post, here is a map of Antalya in August as a bonus

I will be there in Adrasan on 12th of October, so if you guys have a chance to ride to the region I told you about, I would be glad to grab some beers
I hope I can get my CRF250L one day and ride the hell out of Turkish Med

By the way, I can send you the directions to these places if you want.

Cheers man, keep up the great reports, looking forward to reading them!

FestinaLente screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 10:48 AM
FestinaLente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #982
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
the pleasure is mine, sir.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #983
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Hi FestinaLente,

Great to hear from you and thank you for the great photos, especially the one of Antalya in August which I will no doubt steal from you and use somewhere

I'm mostly familiar with Kumluca and Adrasan by driving through the former on the way to Antalya and seeing signs for the latter from the main road. It is definitely an area that I will have to explore more

Not sure what I'm doing on the 12th, we've got some building work going on at the house, but if I'm free it would be great to meet up

Good luck with the CRF, you'll love it

Cheers,

DickyB
Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #984
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.................Dominating the skyline of Tbilisi is a statue of Mother Georgia. She was obviously pleased to see me

Though perhaps less so when viewed from a different angle

Tbilisi is home to a quarter of Georgia's population of 4.5 million, and you would be forgiven for assuming that most of these goodly folks sole intention was to run you off the highways that run through the centre of the city funelling all traffic from east to west and most from north to south of the country, creating for a short stretch a Caucasian road of hell Never been so apprehensiveness in my life

Weapon of choice for the young flash lads?

and the older generation are well catered for too

Anyway, we survived and eventually found the accommodation recommended by the Lonely Planet guidebook we were toting

Her indoors was having none of it and had already drafted a strongly worded letter to the editors of LP before we fooked off to find somewhere where the walls were joined together with mortar as opposed to old posters!

Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #985
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

..................Tbilisi,

a wonderful mixture of new

and old. With long, tree lined avenues of buildings worn by the passage of time and the seasons

and open doorways enticing the curious to venture in

Behind the crumbling facades examples of folk maximising, and personalising their space

Though life is undoubtedly tough for those surviving on a pension of less than 150 Euros a month.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #986
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,082
Great stuff, DickyB
thanks.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #987
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
Excellent as usual Dicky
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #988
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Thanks Padmei. Welcome
Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #989
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.............Tbilisi, full of ace places to visit. Museums, art galleries, ice cream parlours, boulevards and an amusement park for the kiddies

After three days it was time to check the weather forecast and plan for our next move. We still wanted to see Svanetti up in the north west but the outlook was grim so south east to Armenia it was. First I needed to get my inner tube repaired. Walked over to a no nonsense type of place staffed by no nonsense types of blokes adjacent to a bustling bus depot. Battered taxis were having a few pounds of atmosphere injected into their racing slicks in exchange for loose change. Armed private security guards clad in SWAT suits paid close attention to the local populace as their armoured cash delivery truck had a flat fixed. A beefy hand, attached to a gruff voice, grabbed my tube and worked it's magic. A couple of minutes later my tube was fixed for no charge. Like I said, no nonsense! Nice lads

With Georgia still on my mind it was time to see what Armenia had to offer

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #990
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

..............The first thing Armenia had to offer was compulsory insurance. 30 quid for ten days. No idea if this was reasonable or not, just paid it. The second thing was hospitality.

An hour or so from the border I felt a rear wheel bearing go. I pulled up at the side of the road, told the Mrs we'd need to push and started pushing. Lo and flippin' behold! 200m down the road was a hotel. We wheeled the bike in, booked a room and I took the back wheel off. Hotel owner bloke rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in

Yep, a toasted bearing

The boss got on the phone, then wandered off. Not speaking Russian I was clueless as to what had been said and what the future might hold. 30 mins later proprietor chap greeted a taxi at the front gate and beckoned me over. It turned out that the call he'd made had been to friend 20kms away asking him to stop whatever he'd been doing on a Sunday afternoon, pop to his workshop, grab a couple of bearings, flag down a taxi and have them sent to the hotel. Now if I would be kind enough to hand over ten quid in Armenian currency the taxi driver would be happy and the shiny new bearings would be mine Half an hour later the wheel was back on, the Mrs happy and the beer began to flow and didn't stop until the early hours. Lovely folk, Armenians