User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Rally bike rehab

I don't know about you, but a big part of the attraction to the Dakar for me is the machinery. I look at that stuff, and I think "that would make an absolutely kick-ass ride". Lots of gas, good balance, tough as nails, strong enough to conquer Africa yet reliable enough for 12k miles of abuse... those bikes turn me on.

In 2006, American spectators were lucky to have a great team to cheer for- the Rally Pan America team of Charlie Rauseo (Lastplace), Pedro de Uriuarte (who was replaced by Jonah Street at the last minute) and Mike Krynock. Jonah thrilled us all with 2 podiums and 17th place overall in his first attempt at the race, on a bike he'd never ridden before the start line, on a privateer team against the big factories.

The bikes they rode were homemade. Lastplace had ridden the Dakar twice before, finishing once, and both times had battery issues. The big 660's that the factories use do not have kickstarts, so if your battery goes flat, you've had it, that's a 60 or 80 thousand dollar battery right there in your hands. Further, the 660's are huge and make tons of power. With speculation of a speed limit, and the hard won knowledge of Africa he'd gained through the last couple years, Lastplace figured the best tool for the job (for someone not aiming at a win, they didn't know they'd have Jonah!) was smaller than a 660, offered a backup kick start, and preferably, was something it was possible to get parts for here in America.

At the time, Mecasystems stuff wasn't available over here, so the 525/660 hybrid was born. I first saw pics when I rode out to the Dakar presentation in Las Vegas at the beginning of the Nevada 1000. Lastplace was carrying around some pictures of a 525 with 660 tanks drawn on, looking as ever for sponsorship. The bike would meet all his goals: lots of gas, good balance, parts that you can actually buy, lighter and easier to manage than a 660, reliable, etc.

The only pic I have from that trip of Lastplace is this one:

My honest first impression was "he's nuts, that'll be a shitheap".

OK, so I admit it, I'm wrong sometimes.

They found money, bought 3 525's, got the torch out, and started welding. The project included many folks who are well known on advrider- Boejangles worked his magic and made Renazco seats for bikes that nothing original had any hope of fitting on. James Siddall of superplush worked out suspension that would carry the bikes to the finish line in comfort. Robb McElroy became the driver for the team.

Eventually, time ran out, they shipped to Lisbon, and here they are before scrutineering and the start:

At first there were 3.

2 of them finished the race (Lastplace was out with a broken shoulder partway through). The equipment was shoveled into a container and came back.

Jonah's bike, #42, came out of the container, was stripped for parts, and left to rot in the corner while they worked on bigger and better things. Eventually, I talked them out of it and bought it about a year ago:

And so it has sat while I waited for a donor bike that could provide engine, suspension, wheels, radiators, little things like that.

Then, this May, Lastplace started liquidating, and I managed to buy Mike's bike, #98. This one was more or less complete, although Lastplace warned me that it had come out of the crate from Africa, had minor service done, gone to Jonah for training for the better part of a year (in which it was flogged and had no service whatsoever done), then went to Casey McCoy for more flogging, then been rented to every wannabe Dakar racer that needed a steed to learn how to navigate on.

Throughout this entire time, the motor had never been open, only routine maintenance had been performed and often not much of that. He estimated 25,000 miles of desert abuse, and said "honestly, I don't see why it wouldn't run, but if it were me I'd just take it down to the crank and start over".

I told Lastplace he was a lousy car salesman ("I don't see why it won't run" is not a good closer!) and wrote him a check.

Now, there are 2 of those 3 bikes I thought would suck in my garage. The 3rd, #99, had a date with a grinder, got the 660 stuff removed, and is now sitting in team mechanic Niles' garage as his dirtbike.

As my mind turned to the rather large project ahead, my first thought was that I did not need 2 of these bikes, but I did need someone to work on them with and get them dialed in, and then of course to go for a reunion ride. One name filtered to the top of the list immediately: Gaspipe. I called, offered him a basketcase, he said yes, the project got started.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,860
You've got my attention, sir.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
This is going to be good!

I'm in!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 631

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,556
What's that old saying???

A sucker is born every day or something??
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,300
I wonder if the original build was documented in pics? It would be nice to see.

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
I've never subscribed to a thread before but....

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb McElroy
What's that old saying???

A sucker is born every day or something??
"A sucker is born every minute" I believe that was PT Barnum.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,654
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,969
Have absolutely no business following such a rad rehab but...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Really looking forward to seeing this one
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Robb Mc
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner
I wonder if the original build was documented in pics? It would be nice to see.

DW
I'm not sure if I'd really call it "documented" - it was more "fly by the seat of your pants" - but I probably have some pictures of building them somewhere. I'll dig through the old harddrive and see what I can find.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Robb Mc
what?

OK, I dug up some photos of building the bikes.. all done in Charlie's garage in the few months leading up to Dakar 2006. It was a bit hectic, as Mike Krynock and Charlie were building the bikes, and I was building the truck. We were all working full time, so it was work at the paying job from 8-5, then haul ass home, change clothes, and head to Charlie's. Work there until 11 or so, go home, sleep, wake up, do it all again. Except for the weekends, where all we had to do was go to Charlie's and work for 12 hours a day.. It was a long couple of months, but well worth it...

I'll let Ned post the photos as he deems fit (it is his thread after all), but here's a teaser.. Charlie taking the first bike for a test ride around the block (with the truck in the background)..

Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Ah crap. I've drooled over that bike (or those pieces of bike) every time I've been to your place. This oughta be good.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote