Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #196
borsiin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
GP I'm assuming those beauties won't just bolt on my 525. What needs to be modded for them to fit?

I can't take my 525 on the tight stuff over here in Thailand without it puking like a college pledge even with catch tank and factory fan kit.
On the Rally version they fit bolt on since the tanks are wider so space is avaliable. On a EXC you would probably have to modify the plastic a bit.
borsiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #197
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
I can't take my 525 on the tight stuff over here in Thailand without it puking like a college pledge even with catch tank and factory fan kit.
That sounds like jetting to me. 525's will eventually boil even with a fan, but you should have to work pretty hard for it if the jetting is correct.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #198
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
But it's Thailand, college pledges puke easier there.

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #199
neduro OP
Addict

I was in a rush to get the bike running before I chopped my wrist, so the quality of my updates has, ahem, suffered. So, let's go back to near the beginning and retrace my steps.

First was the vision. As I've already said, my goal is to ride this thing to far out places, so reliability was absolutely paramount. The bike I got from Charlie had, as far as we can tell, something like 25k miles, maybe more, maybe less, none of them easy. If I did anything less than a full rebuild I knew I'd worry about it forever, so I just cut straight to the chase and went from the crank up.

I'm not qualified for inside the cases work, so I outsourced to one of my good riding buddies, Jeff Grace, who's a KTM certified tech and all around good guy. If you need motor work done, he's a great resource, anyone interested can PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Here are the intake valves that came out:

...utterly hammered. The piston is not much better, and the cylinder was through the nikasil, probably because the crankcase breather was disconnected from the carb and appeared to have been that way for some time.

We feared what we would find in the bottom end- as it turns out, it was totally pristine. There was nothing the slightest bit out of spec, even after all that hammering. Fantastic stuff!

But, I'd already procured a stroked crankshaft, and all new bearings for everything, and a new cam chain and new everything in the top end, so in it all went and that brings us to here:

In other words, a very large project ahead that really needed only my time to move forward.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #200
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,350
Ned,

Could you post up a pic of the radiator mounts (inside to the frame) for your big-ass rads? I need ideas and my brain is apparently empty right now

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #201
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
That sounds like jetting to me. 525's will eventually boil even with a fan, but you should have to work pretty hard for it if the jetting is correct
Thanks Ned, jetting is pretty sorted though. Funnily enough the stock needle works best on the 570 rather than the JD red and blue needles in my testing over here. Got a 570 kit, cams, saddlebags, and quite a bit of heat and humidity throwing wrenches into the works.

Plus we work pretty hard . A lot riding fun riding over here is plonking around in 1st gear. Here's a buddy coming towards me on his CRF in the jungle.

For better or worse getting the most out of first gear .

Hell I just lost a YZF 250 crossing a river in 1st yesterday. The flash flood dragged me and my YZF forty meters down the river, round two corners, rocks, white water atc. I thought I was a goner . Expensive as it did in the camera, phone, daibetic blood testing computer and broke the GPS. Damn . Took us an hour to find the bike, then another 30 minutes to get it off the bottom of the river with four people pulling on the tow rope. Don't worry Ned, I'm trying as hard as I can .

GP - thanks for the PM, greatly appreciated and has planted some seeds in the noggin to deliberate about. I even have an extra cooling fan, hmmm. May have to do the DC and upgraded stator mod now.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #202
neduro OP
Addict

To everyone watching this thread: you obviously have the taste and intellect to see how worthy the competition of rally is, so it's time to put your money where your mouth (and eyes) are.

Join the Riff Raff, to help Jonah get where he belongs in January- on the podium.

For $100 or $250, you get signed roadbook sections, a shirt (or at the higher price, a sweet Klim gore windstopper fleece with zip-off arms and a back vent and so on that will become your favorite fleece ever as soon as you try it on, at least that's what happened to me), stickers, an invitation to a party, and exclusive daily updates during the race which are themselves worth the price of admission.

It's an awesome deal and a chance to help some great folks do something worthwhile.

end of harangue, for now...

As things went back together, I spent very little time on cosmetics and cleaning, but focused instead on making sure everything was correct. Swingarm pivot bearings were greased before assembly, wheel bearings were swapped, seals were cleaned, etc.

Once the motor went in,

it was a simple act to make it a roller.

In addition, I made a few upgrades. All of us with this vintage of KTM are familiar with the curse-worthy kickstand- it has a tiny pad so it sinks into anything soft, and it's prone to bending so that the bike either leans over too far, or the kickstand contact point comes too far over beneath the bike... it's a fine racing kickstand, but it's not very useful as an adventure touring bit, and especially with the added weight of 6 gallons of gas and so on.

Enter Pro Moto Billet, who do a "kick it" kickstand that solves all these problems. It's pretty enough to be artwork, but fills the function incredibly more efficiently than the stock piece- anyone with a 2000-2007 RFS bike would be pleased to have one, especially if you load your bike down at all.

While I was ordering that, I got a set of Fastway pegs (also visible in that pic) as I figured the width would make them comfy for long days in the saddle. I've never tried them before but they are obviously a well known quantity at this point.

I also got a set of their fastway handguards, which having tried just about every solution out there, are the cat's meow.

Rather than clamping to the handlebar, leading to an endless succession of attempts to twist them straight in any fallover, they bolt to the bar mounts at the center. This also allows you to position the levers wherever you want without interference. Muy Bueno.

With all that done, plus fitting an 06 carb boot to accomodate the carb that came with the bike, plus the aforementioned exhaust rerouting, all that remained to start the bike was plugging in the ECU, and giving it a kick. It lit off quickly once it got fuel up to the carb bowl (they run a 640esque vacuum fuel pump) and Jeff's handiwork came to life.

Ned Likee. Compared to my 525, very torquey and strong, but smooth and, hopefully, reliable.

next up, wiring.

GP: here are a couple photos of the radiator mounts.

Jeebus that thing looks dirty.

neduro screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 06:14 AM
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #203
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,955
How could I have possibly missed this thread until now? Just read the whole thing in one sitting.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #204
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,783
How about that clutch cover gasket? Mine blew a couple weeks ago during the first rally I've ever raced (a total blast btw). Seems the 525 running at sustained high rpms will suck the stock gasket in towards the clutch. I replaced it using Gasgacinch (Edelbrock) but was told that Rekluse makes a slightly thicker version that will not deform?

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #205
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 462
Question noob question

what does RFS mean?

Great thread. I'm learning a lot.
escuchamente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #206
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,046
i believe Racing Four Stroke
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #207
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente
what does RFS mean?

Great thread. I'm learning a lot.
Really Fast Shit

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #208
wheelgun
Not a wannabe..a usetobe

Oddometer: 101
RFS = Right Friggin' Sideways (buddy).
wheelgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #209
Roostn
On the Throttle Stop

Oddometer: 299
Ned,

Good to see the bikes coming along! It was funny, the last time I was out in San Fransisco for business this summer, I helped Charlie put that thing together. He was leaving the next day for your Utah ride. I thought it was ironic that I went all the way to California to help a buddy assemble a bike for another buddy back in Colorado and the bike would get there before me! This rally business is a small small world. Maybe by next summer I'll have my act together and we can ride sometime. I still want to design some roadbooks for San Rafeal Swell. Laters pal.

Tim "Top Fueler" Buhler
Roostn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #210
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
To everyone watching this thread... Join the Riff Raff, to help Jonah get where he belongs in January- on the podium.... end of harangue, for now...
Ned, thanks for the link. I just checked out the website, and in addition to all the perks you noted above, the website also shows that if you join the Riff Raff Extreme for $250, you get your choice of coffee with Niles the mechanic, or a one day mini-rally training session in Northern Cali in Spring of '09. DEFINITELY worth the cost of admission! Things are a little tight around here since the missus and I are expecting our first little one in a matter of days, but I'm going to try my hardest to put enough aside for this. The jacket is awesome and the rally training? Priceless!

Update - I just did a quick Google search and found that a regular old plain Klim Inversion jacket, without the team and sponsor logos, goes for $150 to $200! For everything you get, this is the deal of the century! Hell, I'll just use my credit card - it's not like that's real money!

Great work Ned and Gaspipe, keep the progress reports coming!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 09:10 AM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote