Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #226
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
The point is that I need a light bike with lots of gas. I had, and will have again, finances permitting, a 530 excr with a 3.5 gallon tank. That's good for 120ish miles, which is not enough for some areas I like to explore.

If those places are wide open, I'll take my SE which is fitted with a fairing I made and a 2.2 gallon rally reartank (see my vendor thread). That's got a useful 200 mile range and the legs to gobble up miles.

But many of them are not wide open, they are gnarly singletrack, or they could be (you never know when you're exploring) so I need a bike capable of going tough places. The fairing detracts from that capability, no matter how cool it looks, but the tanks on this bike retain much better handling than any other 6 gallon variant of the 525 I've yet found... Hence the current line of reasoning, which in no way eliminates the possibility of refitting the fairing if it became appropriate.
I'm all for options on the 525, It's so versatile I have 3 tanks / 2 seats / 2 headlight setup's wheels / brakes and rack options on mine. I just bolt different stuff on depending on the trip.
But I think your main problem is going to be the wiring and faring brackets. If it were me, I'd want to run a normal front mask & light, So I'd probably relocate your fuses to under the seat, put the bracket for the switches on the triple clamp. Put wiring connectors in the headstock area, so it's unbolt faring bracket, unplug light wires, then plug in 'other' light and mask, when you want to change from one setup to the other.
That just leaves the oil cooler problem, but maybe that would fit under a mask. On that note, do you have any pic's of where the oil lines are tapped for that cooler?
I also really like the tank extensions / rad protectors idea when running without a faring. Good luck with the fabrication of that.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #227
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,608
lights

These are cool 2 HID light one spot one flood??

Trail Tech X2

firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #228
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstworks
These are cool 2 HID light one spot one flood??
Trail Tech X2
firstworks
They are cool, I just got one, but two problems. They don't fit for shit in an EXC with full wiring harness & computer, and they take weeks to turn on, and come up to full power. Far slower than any other HID I have. I'm still re-wiring my EXC to make it fit well with stabilizer/computer and KTM wiring harness, since there is no room behind it. I think I'm going to give up and put it on my SE, since it's really no brighter than running HID bulb (as high beam) in stock mask.
That being said, they are the nicest small / mask HID lights I have come across.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #229
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
They are cool, I just got one, but two problems. They don't fit for shit in an EXC with full wiring harness & computer, and they take weeks to turn on, and come up to full power. Far slower than any other HID I have. I'm still re-wiring my EXC to make it fit well with stabilizer/computer and KTM wiring harness, since there is no room behind it. I think I'm going to give up and put it on my SE, since it's really no brighter than running HID bulb (as high beam) in stock mask.
That being said, they are the nicest small / mask HID lights I have come across.
I did my own, semi-DIY. I started with a bi-xenon HID kit from XenonRider.com and managed to shove everything behind the stock '07 EXC headlight mask. Only set me back $165, and it really throws out a whole lot of light. I'm happy with the setup:

Uses the stock reflector:

This does require the DC stator mod, but it sounds like you guys already have done that or it had already been done. Here is my more complete write-up:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400853

Also wanted to throw in - great work, Ned and Gaspipe! I'm following along this thread with interest.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #230
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
The point is that I need a light bike with lots of gas. I had, and will have again, finances permitting, a 530 excr with a 3.5 gallon tank. That's good for 120ish miles, which is not enough for some areas I like to explore.

If those places are wide open, I'll take my SE which is fitted with a fairing I made and a 2.2 gallon rally reartank (see my vendor thread). That's got a useful 200 mile range and the legs to gobble up miles.

But many of them are not wide open, they are gnarly singletrack, or they could be (you never know when you're exploring) so I need a bike capable of going tough places. The fairing detracts from that capability, no matter how cool it looks, but the tanks on this bike retain much better handling than any other 6 gallon variant of the 525 I've yet found... Hence the current line of reasoning, which in no way eliminates the possibility of refitting the fairing if it became appropriate.
I musta missed the point of ressurecting a rallye bike then. Other than a few big tanks, why not just go with a normal 525? Why go thru the pain of wiring in all the crapola that comes with a rallye bike: gps, roadbook, etc. if all ya want is a lotta gas on a dirt bike?

What happens when yer off on a semi open trail with the fairing on, and you go 'hey where's THIS go?!' You can't stop and take the mask off... Conversely, if you're out on a gnarly trail and end up doing a 'Weber Fall Ride,' yer gonna want that mask...

Don't get me wrong, I applaud ya for ressurecting the warhorse, it just don't sound like its what you really 'need.' If you've got the SE for long days, where's this bike fit in the quiver?!

Gaspipe I can see leaving the fairing on. His ride reports tend to be 'I'm gonna cover a lot of ground fairly quickly thru some gnarlier stuff for days on end' kinda rides where having the fuel and fairing would be a good thing. CO singletrack and boulders? Not so much. Since I haven't actually ridden with ya, I'm kinda going off what I've seen/read of yer riding...

Alternatively, make a copy of the mask section and keep at least one around after you've bashed it into yet another tree. Keep the look of the rallye, which is what makes it really kewl after all. You've got something special with this rallye bike. Actually RIDDEN in the Dakar. Making it 'just another dirt bike' is kinda dissapointing.

M
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #231
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Other than a few big tanks, why not just go with a normal 525?
That's the entire point, right there.

There is no other way to carry 6 gallons (or 7.5 with the rear tank I have) that will work as gracefully as this bike will.

Quote:
Making it 'just another dirt bike' is kinda dissapointing.

I have no idea what you mean. Have you seen another dirtbike that looked or functioned anything like what I propose? I have not.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #232
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
That's the entire point, right there.

There is no other way to carry 6 gallons (or 7.5 with the rear tank I have) that will work as gracefully as this bike will.

I have no idea what you mean. Have you seen another dirtbike that looked or functioned anything like what I propose? I have not.
All you've got is a 525 with big tanks. Anyone can go to Superplush and get the suspension done, right? Anyone can get rear tanks for the 525. Ditto with a Renazco.

NOT everyone has a bonafide rallye bike in their garage.

When you start the thread posting that you love the rallye bikes 'cause what they represent, then basically de-rallye the rallye bike, why bother? Like I said, seeems dissapointing.

I'm not tryin to harsh yer buzz, just seems kinda from where I'm sittin. However, I'M not the one that's gonna ride the thing. All I can do from here is over the whole thing, wishing I had half the talent you do on a MC.

If takin the mask off makes it better for you, go for it. Just don't expect me to understand it.

M
Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #233
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
He hasn't said he was permanently modding the bike without the rally fairing.
Sure anybody can buy the big tanks but if you look there is a lot of mounting brackets that have to be welded on and there is other bracketry that would take even more time and effort.Not that he couldn't do it but to have it already done by Charlie and company is a big plus.

nfranco screwed with this post 11-04-2008 at 06:05 PM
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #234
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
then basically de-rallye the rallye bike
A fairing does not a rally bike make.

A walk down the history of the Dakar shows many, many bikes that will look just like what I'm aiming at, and anyway, it will be 3 bolts and 4 dzus fasteners to return it to all its faired glory. I'm changing nothing important, nor anything that makes it a rallybike other than the fairing (which you seem very attached to).

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #235
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Here's my question Neduro.

Does the fairing detract from the riding of the 525, or is it just to keep it smaller/lighter/simpler?

The only big complaint I have with my 660 Rallye (which I believe is the same tank and fairing you are going to run) is the turning radius for the Tahoe trail riding I do. It is better than my 950 Adv., but not by much.

The issue on the 660 is the radiators however, and the fairings and/or tanks don't come into play.

Is the turning radius of your 525 with those monster radiators similar/the same as a stock 525 or did your radius go way up? If it is close to stock, will the fairings make the radius go way up? Or is your concern that you don't want to beat the crap out of the fairings etc. (which I know are expensive)?

I don't really notice the fairing/computers/headlight stuff on the front of the bike all that much when riding, but it's cause I've gotten used to it. I rode a friends 520 recently and felt like I was going to fall off the front of the motorcycle for the first few miles because there was nothing up there to stop me!

Either way, fairing or no, loving the build. Great work.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #236
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
Brents,

The big issue I see is the instrument mount bracket welded to the steering head. That's the impediment to the degrees that the steering can swing.

In the desert, that's not much of an issue at all. Pretty much when you're at the steering limits, you've likely already crashed.

I have two RFS bikes - I'm building this one to be what it was intended to be by Rally Management Services when they conceived of the conversion. I'm 100% with Ned - There are times when I'll run the rallye fairings, but for typical Baja/Desert type running, I have little use for the fairing, and will work a more crashworthy alternative. I haven't figured out what that will be just yet.

My point is, for wide open dual sport running, the rallye bike will fit the task well. Lots of fuel, torquey motor, etc....and waaay cool heritage. For run of the mill trail riding, I'm not going to buy a 530 just yet - I have a fresh 525 set up for singletracking, and although it lacks the precision of the newer bikes, I lack the precision of great riders. Good enough is what I'm after here.

The good thing is the sharing of parts and spares inventory. Both rigs will use mostly the same wear parts, so I need to maintain a much simpler inventory.

The good news is I got my Meca Systems pipe fixed, the stroker motor should be done soon, and the bike goes together fast once the motor is back. I can't wait to ride it.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #237
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Any updates?

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #238
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
I'm still waiting on engine parts - and that has me dead in the water right now.

I did get the exhaust system fixed

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #239
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,384

I hate you both
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #240
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Any updates?
I'm waiting for time to work on it. Should be soon.