JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
I believe that is the Joe Racer cooler.
Your can find more here

http://www.joeracerproducts.com/

We used that same cooler on the Heartland-Dakar bike (#149) in 07.

It was recommended by Charlie R, it’s affordable and just about bulletproof. One of many good recomendations from Charlie...

Watch your mounting points because its heavey when its full and it will vibrate so mount it with that in mind.

Rad
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #422
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83

Ned, do you know who makes the oil cooler for your bike?
A cooler AND extra 800cc capacity! All for $399 from JoeRacer! I like it alot!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #423
Tuff Tunica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus
A cooler AND extra 800cc capacity! All for $399 from JoeRacer! I like it alot!
Careful with that capacity claim....I bought one and filled it with fluid just to measure. Including lines I only got 300cc in it. I'm thinking that if it were installed and 800cc over recommended fill were added you might experience some issues.

Nothing is miserable unless you think it is so. Boethius
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #424
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
I believe that is the Joe Racer cooler.
I've tried to buy one a few times, and have been told they'd "...call me back..." when they were available. No calls.

Anyone else gotten one in recent times?

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #425
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica
Including lines I only got 300cc in it.
Mine holds almost a quart, but I think the lines on the rallybike are longer than what Joe Racer offers.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #426
JDRadman
Moto Head

Pissed Rallybike # 149 Stollen

Hey guys,

A quick heads up on #149 from the 07 Dakar Rallye.

The bike was stollen from a the Motorsports Ranch (DFW area) in TX last night. This is the bike that I built and Tim Hall, aka BUG raced in 2007. And the source of all those great posts that Tim put up over the last few years.

It was a 07 KTM525 with the Meca Systems kit and lots of cool bits on it. If you see someone selling the bike or fencing rally bike parts for the meca systems kit, please send me a PM.

A rather large group of hispanic youth in a beat up van got a way as Jack was coming home. He didnt realize what was going on untll a few moments later when he saw the bike and an ATV were both missing.

They have no idea what they have so I wouldnt be suprised to see the bike or the parts show up somewhere for sale.

PM me if you see someting that fits the description.

Thanks,

Rad
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #427
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
Hey guys,

A quick heads up on #149 from the 07 Dakar Rallye.

The bike was stollen from a the Motorsports Ranch (DFW area) in TX last night. This is the bike that I built and Tim Hall, aka BUG raced in 2007. And the source of all those great posts that Tim put up over the last few years.

It was a 07 KTM525 with the Meca Systems kit and lots of cool bits on it. If you see someone selling the bike or fencing rally bike parts for the meca systems kit, please send me a PM.

A rather large group of hispanic youth in a beat up van got a way as Jack was coming home. He didnt realize what was going on untll a few moments later when he saw the bike and an ATV were both missing.

They have no idea what they have so I wouldnt be suprised to see the bike or the parts show up somewhere for sale.

PM me if you see someting that fits the description.

Thanks,

Rad

DAMN!! Those guys dont know what there getting into. Post up some pictures so we know exactally what were looking for. Parts too if you can.

Good luck man, I dont get too bent up about things often but I HATE thiefs. Its like a cheap shot.
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #428
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,451
Rad, got any current pics of the bike? I'll cross-post this to the racing forum.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #429
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,197
and TT, ktmtalk.
pics please, sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #430
JDRadman
Moto Head

#149 Taken

I dont have a smug or other photo account to post to. I have pics of the bike and would be happy to send them and gratefull for the assistance in posting them eanywhere we can think of to try and catch the dirty thieving little bastages...

Send me an email at jdradman@earthlink.net and I will promptly reply with several photos of the bike. It looks exactly as it did when we got it off the boat upon return. We cleaned it up and ride it a few times then put it away, awaiting a good rehab program (for the bike I mean).

It was to get a complete going-over this winter and return to life as a civialian bike for Mongo DP Duty this spring. Needless to say I am seriously bummed about the whole deal.

Thanks for your support and assistance.

Rad

JDRadman screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 10:08 AM
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #431
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,451
Rad, tried sending you an email but it bounced.

You can hit me at rally RAIDio at g mail (no spaces).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #432
JDRadman
Moto Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Rad, tried sending you an email but it bounced.

You can hit me at rally RAIDio at g mail (no spaces).

My bad....typo on the email ...lert out the R in Radman. Fixed with edit above and reposted here:

jdradman@earthlink.net

I will send you some photos now...

Thanks

Rad
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #433
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,025
Man, that sucks Jim. I hope they find it.

Matto
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #434
drivenbydiscovery
´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•

Oddometer: 346
pictures of missing bike:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
I have included a series of photos of the bike; I have tons more if anyone is interested…

I also have a detailed log of the build of the bike that shows all the fun details we attended to and what some of the challenges are with the Meca Systems set up.

1 As seen in Lisbon the afternoon before the rallye

2 As seen every morning after I got done repairs from the prior days mayhem

3 As it was returned fresh off the truck from Dakar. Pilfered by the natives, a few days on the sweep truck and the long boat home

We did find the seat and it was attached. It is a “Renazco Racing” seat finished in suede with “Tim Hall” on the back in dark blue. The side covers were new and the road book was removed rear subframe was straightened, but other than that it looks pretty much like this.

Man it pisses me off to just look at this and think that it is gone…

Thanks for the interest and the help

Jim

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #435
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Super sorry to hear of the lost bike, Jim. I hold out hope they won't be able to figure out what to do with it and it'll turn up. I wish the mouthbreathing dickheads the worst of luck in any event.

<<<< switching to happy news >>>>

I've done three good trips on the Rallybike this summer, one with Gaspipe and Chollo where we did a bunch of passes and so on, really just using it as an adventure bike, then I took it to Idaho for the KTM rally, and I just got back from its first proper use as a Rallybike, at the DVR.

In order, I guess...

Gaspipe giving it a try:

We rode some rocks:

Looking into the never:

A really fun time.

The major learning on that trip was that the bike was too soft, I was bottoming it everywhere. Gaspipe sent me a spare 10.2 spring he had, and I bought a set of .52kg/mm springs from KTM Aspen, and overall I hoped the additional spring force would keep it up in the stroke without making it harsh or skittish. It did, as it turns out.

Next was Idaho, where it got flogged on a bunch- some pics from that:

A good time was had.

Now, for the DVR. I cobbed on a roadbook and GPS for this trip, using parts from my old 950 Adventure setup:

which worked great, as it happens.

I took practically no pictures during 450 miles of riding in 2 days, because I didn't have any time to spare. Here's me before the start from GSNorCal:

Here's one at a gas stop loading the next section of roadbook from PFB:

The bike was phenomenal. It's comfy, takes very little energy and attention to ride reasonably quickly, was perfectly reliable (save one glitch with a short when the bars went to lock hard, since fixed), and really enjoyable on a variety of terrain from technical singletrack to WFO sand road.

I can barely wrap my head around the motor, which pulls hard and linear everywhere at sea level- heading out of Primm up a soft, deep canyon, I ran out of balls at 70mph before the motor ran out of steam. That's speed on the GPS in bottomless sand/ silt/ pebbles over long frequency whoops going uphill, mind you, it's definitely a horsepower test and this thing has it.

Next steps:

I'm not impressed with the Michelin desert front- I had 3 flats in DVR none of which seemed deserved (ie, I didn't hit that hard). I'm switching to a 908RR front and a Mousse, I'm tired of the flat program. Performance was OK, but life was poor- at about 1k miles, it looks totally shagged and rounded off.

The fairing that's on it is rough and heavy, a mexican knock off of the original part. Joe from Illinois sent me a correct front fairing, I need to get that mounted up as it's much much much lighter than what's on there now, and looks nicer too. That'll come in time.

The biggest shortcoming is one that I can't address- a lack of steering lock. Hilslammer (in some of the pics from Idaho above) got scared when he'd whack opposite lock initiating a drift and I've done the same. Further, I have fallen over a few times from the combination of inability to touch the floor and no ability to steer sharper- including once in front of PFB who kindly did not take a picture...

So, overall, it's now part of the active duty fleet, and it's fantastic as either a rallybike or an adventure bike for exploring places. Need to check the valves, change the oil, and spoon on fresh tires, but aside from that it's ready for the next adventure.

Gaspipe, it's your turn to get busy now!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote