Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #511
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Thanks for chiming in Charly. Did you change anything else in the oiling system? From what other RFS engine builders told me the oil flow through this line is restricted due to a jet on top, and it might starve the top end of oil until the system fills up again if using a remote mounted cooler?

Then again, if this is what was used on Ned's/ex Mike's #98 with >20.000 miles on it I guess this is not really a concern...
My experience was that the upper tank didn't drain for oil changes, so you only had to worry about that once. I figured 1.5 quarts +/- of fresh + clean oil filters = no worries for another big ride. Also, from the first fillup (where I had the same concern), I held the kill down and it seemed like the oil pump filled the cooler in no time, I added oil again to the bottom and then let her fire.

For my part, I have a new wide-ratio 76/97 (576cc) motor in my possession, just going through heat cycles now. Headed to Nevada in 2 weeks.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #512
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I held the kill down and it seemed like the oil pump filled the cooler in no time, I added oil again to the bottom and then let her fire.
Remember that there is no restricting jet in the bottom (entry) fitting to the external oil line, only on the top valve inspection side. So, once the lines and oil cooler are full, you should always have the same amount of oil going to the top end as KTM intended, just cooler.

Check for yourself, the lines and cooler do fill up in a few seconds. Even starting cold, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not sure whether more oil or the cooler helps more, but neither is a bad thing on a rally bike.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #513
timolgra1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Here's a couple of pics of mine, it competed in the 2004 Dakar Rally.
I've had it for 3 fun filled years but is sadly up for sale now.

timolgra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #514
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,297
That Camel shot is priceless...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #515
neduro OP
Addict

So I finally got a good ride in on the 2007 bike with a new motor a few weeks ago.

I made a trip out to Nevada in hopes of finding warm weather- you can see how well that worked out.

The motor (576- 97 bore on a 76 stroke) is A W E S O M E. I went to an EXC gearbox at the same time, the XC makes sense with the 540 motor for racing, but the 580 is so flexible and my use so diverse that I wanted the wider range.

It's super torquey from about 3 RPM to about 8500, so pretty much, you can stick it in 3rd for tight-ish navigating and it will pull you through, or you can keep feeding it gears and it keeps adding em-pee-haichtes.

Unfortunately, there still seems to be some grit in the fuel system, so I was getting weird carburation whenever I was in bumps, so one item on the to-do list is to re-plumb the fuel system.

Jonah's suspension uses pretty light springs relatively speaking (.46kg/mm forks, some weird progressive in the rear), which he apparently likes for the feel they provide. I like the feel, but I think I weigh about 30-40lbs more than Jonah, so I was having bottoming issues bigtime. You can see in the pic above that I mashed the pipe right behind the footpeg pretty comprehensively, so that's the other issue that needs sorting out- bottoming control, and pipe protection.

A few more shots, just for giggles:

I ordered and paid for new bodywork some months ago, so hopefully I'll have a fresh body as well, I can't keep beating up the #25 stuff in good conscious.

Any votes on what color to paint the new stuff? Leading candidates for me are blue (again) or silver fading to black, like the early 660's were.

The winter list:

- New fuel line/ track down source of grit
- Springs returned to 06 spec- .52/10.2
- Repair exhaust/ add protection
- Install Hilslammer longpegs
- New Bodywork/ Paint
- Remove MD roadbook, replace with F2R
- Build Oil Cooler setup
- Fresh Rubber
- Replace front mudguard (cracked in cold weather)

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #516
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,114
I love the blue, but I'm also a fan of orange.

Of course, that bike would look good in any color, Ned.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #517
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,337
Gauloises Blue all the way

BTW, Ned, I assume the brake line is a flexible line fixed at the triple?
Any chance of some pics of how thats done on this bike?

I took your advice and went with a flexi brake line on the long-travel SE - I really like it (the moving brake line is such a pita in the cockpit/bars area). So much so, Im considering doing the same on the 525 - especially since the rigid outer casing is nearly fooked.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #518
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,307

go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #519
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
BTW, Ned, I assume the brake line is a flexible line fixed at the triple?
Any chance of some pics of how thats done on this bike?
Sure, but as I'm back East right now, I'll describe first-

Strip the sheath, Fixed at the fork slider, of course, and fixed at the lower triple. From there it's just getting it to have a nice direction to flex, which really comes from where it goes above the upper location, if that makes sense.

Only drawback is in brush, I wouldn't do it on a bike I planned to ride in the trees.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #520
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Hi mate thats a nice looking machine you got there.

Who built your motor and how many miles do you expect to get out of it?

I'm waiting for Lukas to hurry up and get his new motor built so we can get some feedback on it but he seems to busy chasing girls for building rally bikes at the moment.

Cheers

Joe
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #521
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Ned,
Why are you going to swap out the MD for a F2R roadbook? do you not want to damage the "good" MD or do you think the F2R is a better unit?

X2 on a Gauloises blue paint job too

GO BRO GO.......
topo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #522
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Sure, but as I'm back East right now, I'll describe first-

Strip the sheath, Fixed at the fork slider, of course, and fixed at the lower triple. From there it's just getting it to have a nice direction to flex, which really comes from where it goes above the upper location, if that makes sense.

Only drawback is in brush, I wouldn't do it on a bike I planned to ride in the trees.
Cheers Ned.
Hope you're dealing with the weather ok.

Looking at the photos you've posted already, I can see some kind of P-clamp. Just not sure what its fastened to on the triples - unless a thread has been tapped specifically for that.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #523
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Why are you going to swap out the MD for a F2R roadbook? do you not want to damage the "good" MD or do you think the F2R is a better unit?
Prefer the F2R unit. Just put new belts in the MD and it already slips, and one of the crappy little knobs twisted off as I was trying to manually override, when the power started getting intermittantly cutting out.

The F2R has a few flaws, but overall is nicer to use and a better design IMO. Neither are perfect, but given the F2R is about 1/3rd the price of the MD, it's the clear winner in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Looking at the photos you've posted already, I can see some kind of P-clamp. Just not sure what its fastened to on the triples - unless a thread has been tapped specifically for that.
Don't remember! On the older bike, I think it was done off the threads where the fender brace bolts onto the top of the lower triple, if that makes sense, using a zip tie looped through a piece of fuel line to make a standoff... will inspect in detail soon.

Unfortunately, 1500 miles of driving lie between me and that part, so it'll be a couple days.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #524
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Who built your motor and how many miles do you expect to get out of it?
A friend in Colorado Springs, Jeff Grace. He's a sharp guy, KTM factory trained, and been racing RFS's in supermoto and on Pikes Peak for years so has learned the tricks, especially around ventilation and crank float.

The motor is not designed to have a life expectancy, I anticipate one of three things will happen: 1) I'll acutely abuse it to the point it blows up in some new and exciting way, necessitating a rebuild- unlikely. 2) I'll decide to race the bike somewhere and will want to make sure everything is tip-top despite having no symptoms, therefore it gets torn down and reubuilt- likely. or 3) I largely ignore it for years, using it whenever I feel like it, and we never really answer the question of how durable it is- likely.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #525
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

I ordered and paid for new bodywork some months ago, so hopefully I'll have a fresh body as well, I can't keep beating up the #25 stuff in good conscious.

Any votes on what color to paint the new stuff? Leading candidates for me are blue (again) or silver fading to black, like the early 660's were.
Ned,

I still think it is very cool that you ended up with that bike...

My vote is for Silver fade to Blue... or keep / repeat the original blue. That was a good looking bike as it arrived.

Rad