Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #526
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Sure, but as I'm back East right now, I'll describe first-

Strip the sheath, Fixed at the fork slider, of course, and fixed at the lower triple. From there it's just getting it to have a nice direction to flex, which really comes from where it goes above the upper location, if that makes sense.

Only drawback is in brush, I wouldn't do it on a bike I planned to ride in the trees.
On bikes we built later, I started to route the brake line a bit differently. I ran it from the handlebar down the right fork tube and then across the front of the bottom triple. P-clamp to the triple. From there, the brake line attaches to the low fender. It flexes nicer this way from the triple to the fender. You don't need to remove the black plastic sheath to get it to work this way. (The reason for re-routing the brake line, of course, is that a brake line sliding up towards the rider as usual might get caught on the roadbook or other stuff on the way back down.)
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #527
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
On bikes we built later, I started to route the brake line a bit differently. I ran it from the handlebar down the right fork tube and then across the front of the bottom triple. P-clamp to the triple. From there, the brake line attaches to the low fender. It flexes nicer this way from the triple to the fender. You don't need to remove the black plastic sheath to get it to work this way. (The reason for re-routing the brake line, of course, is that a brake line sliding up towards the rider as usual might get caught on the roadbook or other stuff on the way back down.)
Thanks Charlie.
Do you use one of the fender brace attachment points on the lower triple - or do you drill & tap a new one?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #528
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
So I finally got a good ride in on the 2007 bike with a new motor a few weeks ago.

I made a trip out to Nevada in hopes of finding warm weather- you can see how well that worked out.

The motor (576- 97 bore on a 76 stroke) is A W E S O M E. I went to an EXC gearbox at the same time, the XC makes sense with the 540 motor for racing, but the 580 is so flexible and my use so diverse that I wanted the wider range.

It's super torquey from about 3 RPM to about 8500, so pretty much, you can stick it in 3rd for tight-ish navigating and it will pull you through, or you can keep feeding it gears and it keeps adding em-pee-haichtes.

Unfortunately, there still seems to be some grit in the fuel system, so I was getting weird carburation whenever I was in bumps, so one item on the to-do list is to re-plumb the fuel system.

Jonah's suspension uses pretty light springs relatively speaking (.46kg/mm forks, some weird progressive in the rear), which he apparently likes for the feel they provide. I like the feel, but I think I weigh about 30-40lbs more than Jonah, so I was having bottoming issues bigtime. You can see in the pic above that I mashed the pipe right behind the footpeg pretty comprehensively, so that's the other issue that needs sorting out- bottoming control, and pipe protection.

A few more shots, just for giggles:

I ordered and paid for new bodywork some months ago, so hopefully I'll have a fresh body as well, I can't keep beating up the #25 stuff in good conscious.

Any votes on what color to paint the new stuff? Leading candidates for me are blue (again) or silver fading to black, like the early 660's were.

The winter list:

- New fuel line/ track down source of grit
- Springs returned to 06 spec- .52/10.2
- Repair exhaust/ add protection
- Install Hilslammer longpegs
- New Bodywork/ Paint
- Remove MD roadbook, replace with F2R
- Build Oil Cooler setup
- Fresh Rubber
- Replace front mudguard (cracked in cold weather)

Thanks for the update Ned, seems to be a great bike for these sort of trips. Do you think there is a big difference to your old 660/552cc hybrid power (same cam?) and handling wise?

I am looking forward to seeing your oil cooler solution, still don't know if I'll be going with the method Charlie used or tapping into the rear oil filter cover.

As for the color, I would also vote for Gauloises blue. This is probably my favorite rally bike:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Hi mate thats a nice looking machine you got there.

Who built your motor and how many miles do you expect to get out of it?

I'm waiting for Lukas to hurry up and get his new motor built so we can get some feedback on it but he seems to busy chasing girls for building rally bikes at the moment.

Cheers

Joe
Patience grasshopper.

The piston and cylinder from Thumper Racing actually arrived in Belgium this morning so Glenn will finish it up this weekend. Can't wait!

Who can tell what is different from a stock RFS motor...

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #529
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Do you think there is a big difference to your old 660/552cc hybrid power (same cam?) and handling wise?
I'm running the 610 SM cam (607) in this one, so more lift and duration. Jeff talked me into it.

This one definitely has more power, and more revs also. The 552 is a short shift motor. This one can be, but is also happy to spin out a bit more, which I attribute to the cam.

Handling wise, the suspension is a bit of a different setting. This one is sharper than the old bike, but I don't think that's a reflection of much other than suspension. I doubt their weight is substantially different, and they share geometry, etc.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #530
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
I was thinking about doing a rally bike conversion to my street legal 2005 YZ450F. However, the price for the kits is crazy expensive. I think I'll stick with my original Formula 450 plan.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #531
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Hey Lukas whats the go with the alloy cam chain guide and the really long piston oiler?

I just ordered a 806 cam, Should liven things up a bit
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #532
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
I'm running the 610 SM cam (607) in this one, so more lift and duration. Jeff talked me into it.

This one definitely has more power, and more revs also. The 552 is a short shift motor. This one can be, but is also happy to spin out a bit more, which I attribute to the cam.

Handling wise, the suspension is a bit of a different setting. This one is sharper than the old bike, but I don't think that's a reflection of much other than suspension. I doubt their weight is substantially different, and they share geometry, etc.
Thanks, I assume you are talking about the 8/07 cam. I still have the stock 5521 in mine, but since it's got 600cc I probably should change to that one or at least the 8/33 as well. With the big displacement it should have enough low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Hey Lukas whats the go with the alloy cam chain guide and the really long piston oiler?

I just ordered a 806 cam, Should liven things up a bit
Good eye mate! GWR makes those alloy plates, they serve to make an oil pool for the left main bearing. The longer piston jet is to spray the oil onto the bottom of the piston for better cooling in combination with some modifications to the oil pump. In stock form it's usually just a small drizzle.

Glenn was also in contact with DJH about some mods to the right main bearing oil supply and did it to my engine. Not exactly sure what exactly it is but Dave is usually very open about sharing his info if you contact him directly.

8/06 cam seems to be a popular mod with the bigger carb, I am thinking about putting one in my SM as well. What size cylinder are you using now?

Cheers

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #533
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Just the stock cylinder for now but it has oversize valves and 40mm carb.
I needed a new cam shaft because of the water pump seals and at only $140 I thought the 806 I worth a try.

Hoping for extra mid and top end without sacrificing to much bottom end grunt.

Just noticed that your using ball mains. Could they not convince you to use tapers?

Sorry for the thread hijack

DRjoe screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 04:08 AM
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #534
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Thanks, I assume you are talking about the 8/07 cam.
Correct, my memory fails me yet again!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #535
neduro OP
Addict

I pulled the fairing off and started ordering stuff in preparation for . Figured it would be fun to show a few pictures:

Closeup of fixed brakeline:

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #536
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,388
Cheers Ned
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #537
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Working on getting those springs to you Ned......

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #538
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Man that's ugly.

Cool but ugly.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #539
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
those tanks are mammoth, how many litres all up
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #540
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Bump 'cos the Dakar's on! Do I need an excuse??
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote