ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #541
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Bump 'cos the Dakar's on! Do I need an excuse??

Nope
There's bound to be some bikes for sale after the big D.
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #542
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,852
Bump for one of my favorite threads, and 2 of my favorite projects.

Mark 3 was the bike I raced in Dakar.



Which was also a favorite project, although documented elsewhere on ADV.

And here's the new adventure:



A friend made it possible for me to buy this 690RR, it was always the one I dreamed about. The best of the Dakar bikes, durable, fast, sexy. And previously, unobtainable.

The bike doesn't need rehab, it needs exercise. Where to?
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #543
schaffer40
I look lived in.....
 
schaffer40's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Rowland Heights Ca.
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Bump for one of my favorite threads, and 2 of my favorite projects.

Mark 3 was the bike I raced in Dakar.



Which was also a favorite project, although documented elsewhere on ADV.

And here's the new adventure:



A friend made it possible for me to buy this 690RR, it was always the one I dreamed about. The best of the Dakar bikes, durable, fast, sexy. And previously, unobtainable.

The bike doesn't need rehab, it needs exercise. Where to?
That new ADV is sweet. Have fun and ride safe.
__________________
The massive Raider Nation is beyond doubt the sleaziest and rudest and most sinister mob of thugs and wackos ever assembled. Hunter S. Thompson

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #544
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,429
Slightly of topic, but I have been meaning to ask...

From memory, you have had a 525 with 660 rallye tanks, a Meca System 525 rallye kit, and you ran a normal type oversized tank at Dakar, so in your opinion, is there much advantage in haveing twin tanks with the weight held lower, or would the average rider be better off with the cheaper conventional type of oversized tank?
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.
"Far to the general now, and without great final hope of victory, he has nothing to lose. And it must above all have rabies. For the moment, it dominates this special."
Joan Barreda
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #545
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Slightly of topic, but I have been meaning to ask...

From memory, you have had a 525 with 660 rallye tanks, a Meca System 525 rallye kit, and you ran a normal type oversized tank at Dakar, so in your opinion, is there much advantage in haveing twin tanks with the weight held lower, or would the average rider be better off with the cheaper conventional type of oversized tank?
No question, the mass centralization of the rally tanks is preferable.

But, it creates tradeoffs, chief among them the low slung exhaust.

If the goal is beating around the desert, technical as it gets, the answer is a conventional exhaust. It will take much more of a beating.

If the goal is Dakar style higher speed stuff, with occasional technical sections but a focus on speed and handling, the rally tanks come into their own.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #546
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,963
Sweet "new" bike Ned
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #547
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
And here's the new adventure:



A friend made it possible for me to buy this 690RR, it was always the one I dreamed about. The best of the Dakar bikes, durable, fast, sexy. And previously, unobtainable.

The bike doesn't need rehab, it needs exercise. Where to?
Sorta related to the last question: can you take off the rear tanks and just run the front tanks for 'day to day' riding?



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #548
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,744
Sa-weet!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #549
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Nice new bike Ned!! I assume that was a private import, can you get it really street legal in the US or is it a bit of a grey area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
No question, the mass centralization of the rally tanks is preferable.

But, it creates tradeoffs, chief among them the low slung exhaust.

If the goal is beating around the desert, technical as it gets, the answer is a conventional exhaust. It will take much more of a beating.

If the goal is Dakar style higher speed stuff, with occasional technical sections but a focus on speed and handling, the rally tanks come into their own.
Well it's possible to have the best of both worlds and keep the stock exhaust system with rally tanks. Only trade off is additional heat in the fuel and vapor lock, but supposedly it wasn't an issue on this bike with some good isolating foil in between:






Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Sorta related to the last question: can you take off the rear tanks and just run the front tanks for 'day to day' riding?



M
No, the tanks make up the subframe. Doesn't really make much sense anyway because empty they don't weigh much, and you can keep the fuel centralized and balanced between all tanks.

What you can do is switch the big 690 RR rear tanks to the smaller 450RR or 690 Enduro (R)/SMC rear tank with some work.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:29 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #550
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nice new bike Ned!! I assume that was a private import, can you get it really street legal in the US or is it a bit of a grey area?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
What you can do is switch the two rear tanks to the single piece 450RR or 690 Enduro (R)/SMC rear tank with some work.
It's already a single tank. If I don't need 9 gallons, I'll just ride something else!
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #551
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post




It's already a single tank. If I don't need 9 gallons, I'll just ride something else!
True that, I corrected myself. Never did have to take the rear of the 690RR apart and I thought it was like the old 660 tanks.

Enjoy her then, she's a beast!
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #552
Gerg
Cupcake
 
Gerg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 8,324
Nice to see KTM recognize the "Real Deal" and not ignore you.

Amazing what a simple Privateer Finsh of the Dakar will do for you

Nice scooter BTW...

Gerg
__________________
Greg
Certified Ole Fart

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #553
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
No question, the mass centralization of the rally tanks is preferable.

But, it creates tradeoffs, chief among them the low slung exhaust.

If the goal is beating around the desert, technical as it gets, the answer is a conventional exhaust. It will take much more of a beating.

If the goal is Dakar style higher speed stuff, with occasional technical sections but a focus on speed and handling, the rally tanks come into their own.
Awesome insight.
__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #554
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,493
Wink

Dear Ned,

You still suck. Only now you suck more.
Eat a flaming bowl of dicks.



your pal,
Cody

ps: No, really you suck. Even though you deserve it.



PPS: nice sandals hippie.
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #555
lastplace
Studly Adventurer
 
lastplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Dear Ned,

You still suck. Only now you suck more.
Eat a flaming bowl of dicks.



your pal,
Cody

ps: No, really you suck. Even though you deserve it.
Ned,

You've now managed to acquire nearly all of the cool rally bikes that we built or prepped but had to sell to build the next one. You do suck and plenty of people know it. Hoping to capitalize on that, I recently acquired the domain: www.ihatenedsuesse.com. (Shocked that it was available!) I am confident that, with a snappy logo; revenue from t-shirt and sticker sales on this site (available soon) will enable me to put together an even better collection than you. Not jealous, I'm going to go out now and put a few more miles on my old XR, which is not for sale.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014