RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #77
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe

This bike was originally fitted with LC4 660 radiators, which are all but unobtainable. I will use a set of Yoyodyne radiators. These add quite a bit more core area and cool the motor quite well. I've been using them on the 450 for a while now, and do not need a fan with these radiators. I'm sure I will have to fabricate some brackets to make these work.

Lots of stuff to think about.
Yoyodyne!

"Where the future starts tomorrow!"

hard core R&D:
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #78
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
So in for this!

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #79
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Yoyodyne!

"Where the future starts tomorrow!"

hard core R&D:

buckaroo Bonzai....classic

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #80
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
For the front brakes, I'm considering upsizing to a larger rotor. I have to see what I have, and mix and match caliper hangers to make it work.
I was looking at my SE this weekend thinking that maybe I'd use that brake system. I'm going to get mine built up with stock 525 brakes, if they prove inadequate as I think they will, I think the SE parts will bolt right up and keep everything OEM.

Agree that 18mm offset is probably the way to go.

And I can't believe you cleaned your so nicely, I've just been bolting mine back together like a true codger. I'm going to have to deal with one issue for using it internationally- my VIN isn't particularly legible anymore. That won't do for border crossings...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #81
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
my VIN isn't particularly legible anymore. That won't do for border crossings...
P-touch
Attached Images

nfranco screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 09:05 AM
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #82
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I think the SE parts will bolt right up and keep everything OEM.
Or maybe even an '03 640 Adventure caliper hanger and rotor. It's even bigger than the one on the SE. ??

Quote:
Agree that 18mm offset is probably the way to go.
I'm going to play with that a bit. With as much weight as we're placing on that front wheel already with gas, fairing, etc., the 20 might be a good compromise. I guess we'll find out.

Quote:
And I can't believe you cleaned your so nicely
Funny - I was worried about the legibility of the VIN, so I decided to clean it up and squirt some rattle can paint over it.

I have tons of small bit and spacers I have to make now. It will be time consuming and slow.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #83
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
subscribed

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #84
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
I had a nice chat with Charlie from Rally Management Services - he shed a lot of light on some gray issues for me. I'm more motivated now than I have been, and this just may turn out to be the coolest bike I've built yet....I can hardly wait to ride this rig!

Having Ned to collaborate with on the project makes it that much better. His unique perspectives have gotten me to think a lot more about this than I would have alone. And for that, I thank you Ned for sharing this project with me.

Big fun is ahead!

I sourced out a lot of the somewhat unique parts I needed, and got the ball rolling on the suspension work.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #85
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Dear Ned and Gaspipe, THANK YOU for taking on this labor of love. I have always been drawn to the "Dakar" bikes. They all seem to be like a fingerprint, each with the same purpose, however, individual and unique in their own way.

Thank you for letting us ALL in on the fun.

Good luck and best wishes...Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #86
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
Thanks for letting us in on a great project.

Just keep it updated, don't go the way of the AntWare Alaska report.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #87
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Thumb Very Cool Project

This project is really interesting/fun for me to follow since I own a 2002 520 RFS.......and recently picked up a ralleye replica 1998 620 EGS-E with 7.4 gallon tank.....almost as if you guys are morphing my two bikes together.....
Keep it coming and good luck!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #88
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
This project is really interesting/fun for me to follow since I own a 2002 520 RFS.......and recently picked up a ralleye replica 1998 620 EGS-E with 7.4 gallon tank.....almost as if you guys are morphing my two bikes together.....
Keep it coming and good luck!
Chris, you just got your 620. Leave it alone for a bit will ya??!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #89
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
GP and neduro - as others have stated, bang on for undertaking this project, should be a joy even just to read, let alone when you roll the bikes out for their maiden shake down rides . Good luck guys!!!

i travel on a 525exc dualsport extensively, two week long off road trips etc. Some observations:

Headshake with the stock 20's at speed. Hopefully carrying that much gas and equipment up front will offset some of the issue. i ended up going with 17 degree's for a much calmer ride at higher speeds. i assume you'll aalso be mounting a Scotts.

Front brakes: The stockers are marginal for high speed work, the added issue more importantly is the bloody master cylinder allowing air into the system over time. Some people seem not to have an issue. Mine has needed bleeding on multi day rides. Inexcuseable in my eyes. I'm now using a CRF master cylinder, not any more powerful but much more reliable. No more air has gotten into the system. Great mod. One thing that may interest you gents is i also run the bike in Motard trim with a KTM motard caliper and Radial master Cylinder. Now my friends this is some stopping power!!! You can lock the front tire up at 100 MPH its soooo sttrong. Very linear and progressive feel to it. Would love this mod on your 525 that will be gaining some wieght. Only issue is the Radial mount master has a remote resoviour that is a bit vulnerable for off road usage. Though mine has survived a tumble into the tire barricade at the Go - kart track.

Valve train - Installed Stainless Steel valves to help increase my valve adjustment interval. So far, once bedded in no adjustments needed in 3,000 miles. With only 3,000 miles its not enough to claim them as the Holy Grail but i'm hoping for the best. Leave on a 3 country (Thailand, laos, Cambodia) off road ride in a few weeks so will report back my findings.

Oil capacity- I have used the HT cooler with no issues but you gents may want an even larger capacity. Should not be impossible to machine a larger capacity resoviour.

Overall a great base bike to make what you guys are doing to "roll your own".

I'm pulling up a seat to watch your build unroll and learn from your discoveries. let the good times roll and best of luck with the build.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #90
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
I would use a 300mm rotor with the 2 piston Brembo caliper. With that much fuel, navigation equipment etc the stock EXC system will indeed be marginal. You just need to get a different caliper bracket which you should be able to find used very cheaply (if not let me know and I'll find you one here in Austria).

This is also what came stock on our 690 Rallye Replica, although we have since changed the disc for a Galfer Wave one:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote