ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 AM   #31
Tellico Camper OP
Serving since lunch

Oddometer: 356
Thanks to the ones that braved the great weather and good eats. I can't think of a better time riding then with the crowd that came out. I am looking forward to a great ride in the Spring. I am looking at either the Last weekend in April or First weekend in May for the ride. I have to go through the books to make sure there are no conflicting events and will post up before the years end.
P.S. I have a guy working on the Official Fuzzy Beaver Shirts for next year!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 761
OK, I have retrieved the track logs from our DS Ride on Saturday, 11/08. My Garmin is stating that our DS ride, primarily in dirt and fire roads, was 102 miles long.

If anyone wants the actual gdb or gpx file, let me know.

Later,

Jon
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #33
bullet370
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Damn what a weekend !
That place is dual sport central. Ive been to a lot of places and had a lot of hosts/guides and this one will never be beat.
It sucks its all down hill from here it just cant get any better.
Danny 'thanks for some great hospitality,great guide service (thank Blue for us also) and your great wife and kids for putting up with us drunks.
Crawfords is the place !!!!!
The absolute best mix of roads ,camp grund and hospitality.
bullet370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #34
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Alright guys...today was super busy at work catching up so I didn't have time to post up until now. I know you've been waiting so without further a due, here come the pics. May not have time at this moment to narrate all 120+ pics I snapped over 5 days but I'll get as far as I can. Hell, I may not even remember everything so I decided not to start a whole new thread or do a full ride report. I will just do my best here for you guys that were great enough to show up and help support Danny's efforts. Any other attendees with pics or comments feel free to add in here. We need to let the other slackers know what a great time we had, that the weather was perfect, and how they missed out on some of the best riding because they were too scared to commit to a rally this late in the year...Wussies!!!

WEDNESDAY Nov. 5th...
Kevin Byrd and I load up around 12pm and hit the road towards Hickory to meet his wife and her sister for a quick lunch at Chili's. (Since I'm also a Kevin I will refer to Kevin Byrd from here on out as KevinB )...

After that it was on to Bob's (Bullet370) house in Denver just to unload our bikes and gear and reload it all again in his trailer...

Our other buddy David (Wanderer13) was already there as well and they had most of the stuff loaded in the trailer so it didn't take long to get going...

Rolled out of Bob's around 4pm and pretty much drove straight from his house to Danny's campground with the exception of stopping for fuel on the way out, pizza in Bryson City, and quick supply stop at the Walmart in Murphy. So we finally rolled into camp around 10:30pm with our loud diesel hoping not to wake up the few people that appeared to already be there. A quick setup of the trailer, watched Balancing Act 4 on DVD and then it was off to bed.

THURSDAY Nov. 6th...
Snapped these few pics after waking up and checking the place out in the daylight...

Bob checking out the rock garden wondering how he'll ever get the Scorpa thru there without breaking an ankle...

Still some great colors to be seen...

Once we were all a little more awake and introduced ourselves to our gracious host Danny he was ready to lead us hoodlums around for the day. Forgive me if I don't mention road names or #'s here but when I'm not leading a ride I don't get too caught up with that. I pay more attention to the sites than roads. After gearing up to go on our 1st ride of the long weekend Bob blasted the Scorpa around for a minute as the rest of us watched in amazement. No, not because of his trials skills but in awe of how big he looked on that bike ...just kidding buddy!

A little after 10am and we were on the road. Quick run up Tellico's OHV Trail 1 and made our way over to Bald River Falls...

From there we made our way to Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters to check out Mike's shop. Very nice store he's got there...

By this time it was around was around 1:30pm and we were all hungry so we headed back down the road a few miles to Tellico Kat's place. Great little sandwich shop on the river...

While eating we had some great conversation on the back porch of Kat's getting to know Danny, a little of his background, and how he came about owning the campground. With our bellies full we then rolled out in search of the Dragon. KevinB had never been to the Tail so that was the main destination of the day. We figured since it was Thursday it would be the best of our 3 riding days to go in hopes of less squids out crashing off the mountainside. Along the way we stopped about a mile or 2 away for a quick rest and Dave spotted what appeared to be a small road around the inside edge of the drained lake. So he and I went back to check it out. After pulling to the "on ramp" we saw a sign that said No Motorized Vehicles but Dave went in for a closer look. Lots of glass beer bottles all broken up upon entry so he turned around and came back and we thought better of it...

So from there it was up the mountain and KevinB's initiation to the Dragon herself. No stops, no crashes, and no pics thru there (except for the usual killboy.com and us129photos.com) so be sure to check those sites out fellas. They got some pretty good snapshots of us. All we managed to get was KevinB's customary pic at the gas station for him ...

From there the sun was fading fast so it was a nice run back towards camp. Stopped again for gas and supplies in Murphy and nabbed this photo in, where else, the Walmart parking lot ...

Couldn't make out what it was with all the custom paint, but it had a Honda motor. Maybe a late 70's SL, XL, 175 or something??? Surely someone wouldn't have destroyed an Elsinore like that! Didn't really inspect it close. Just thought I'd snap a quick photo and run. It was for sale for only $850 though.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"

wickedthunder.com screwed with this post 11-13-2008 at 02:07 PM
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 340
Great photos and commentary Kevin. I knew there was a reason I didn't bring a camera.

Special thanks to Danny for hosting the event, Blue for leading us around and Bob for allowing me to stay in his toy hauler (and not snoring too bad). I will be thinking of the sounds of rocks ricocheting off the fork tubes and headlight until the next DS ride.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #36
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

FRIDAY Nov. 7th...
We picked up 2 more riders on the day and our route was to lead us in the direction of Suches, or at least somewhere in north GA to ride. 1st stop was to check out Beasley Knob OHV park in Blairsville. Parking lot where we stopped to check out the trail map...

Was hard trying to get a pic of the trail map without a glare but here's the best I could manage...

It turned out to be a pretty good place. This hill was steeper than it looks in the pic. Here's Bob on the KLR with 90% street tires showing us how it's done...

Darrell (Captn D) on his TW roostin' with that fat tire...

Short break for granola bars and re-hydration...

The trail continuing on from where we took our break...

After fighting the rocks and water-breaks in the OHV park we decided to head to TWO (Two Wheels Only) for lunch which they generally serve on Fri-Sun during the winter months. However, we were very disappointed once we arrived...or at least I was. We were all starving at this point and just wanted a good burger somewhere. Their sign out front said "Lunch 11-2pm" and it was 1:35pm when we rolled into the parking lot. We had 7 guys in our group and there were only 3 or 4 other bikes in the parking lot. They told us the grill was closed and they were gonna start preparing for supper, but they had chicken salad or tuna salad sandwiches if we want. WTF?! Myself and a couple others had never been there before but have heard lots of good things about the place so that was a big reason we went. WOW, what a let down. Hopefully they don't treat all their customers like that who come to check out the place and try to spend money within the motorcycling community! I'd have to say that was a piss-poor 1st impression for me and I won't be going out of my way to stop there again. As a business owner myself I just found it to be very shotty service. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, so who knows, maybe we just caught them on the wrong day but that shouldn't be our fault. It's not like we showed up at 1:59pm trying to order a 7 course meal.

I guess all things work out for a reason though. So we got to ride thru Wolfpen Gap again, which wasn't hurting any of our feelings , and we ended up riding over to Helen, GA and finding a much cooler place anyway. Captn D and Danny...

Danny...proving to be too fast for my camera...

Blue Goodson also showing me I need to learn how to work the shutter speed on my camera...

A quick stop at a Falls (which I can't remember the name of)...lower section...

Upper falls...

Then down the road for a creek crossing where Danny sets off a tidal wave ...

Bob washing the KLR...

Another quick stop at some overlook...

Making our way to Helen...

Finally...our stop for a late lunch...

As you can see most were breaking out the cell phones to call and check in with the wives, girlfriends, mistresses, hookers, etc.

Danny and Bob discussing how good the food was...

After this is where the real adventure of the day begins and will take more time than I have to finish at the moment. So I'm gonna leave it here until I can add the rest tomorrow. Stay tuned...
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #37
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

Hmmm... don't think someone trailering their bikes should be calling others 'wussies'. Also lots of us DOGs consider GT at TWO a friend, why should he be open for 4 customers? In the winter time their hours are sketchy at best as the season winds down. I was there last weekend for breakfast and while he was open, there was only one other person there. It makes no sense to pay employees if you are not making money. And they did offer you what they had. As a business owner yourself you should understand simple economics.

Glad you had a good time. Next time you're in the area look me up and I'll throw some dogs on the grill.
Not that I'm opposed to riding there but us wussies live 4.5 hours away so it made more sense for us to trailer up in order to get everything there and split the costs. I'm just thankful our buddy Bob has a nice truck/trailer and was gracious enough to haul us there. I was just poking fun at the ones that wouldn't commit for Danny. Didn't mean anything by it. It turned out to be the best 3 days of riding in the upper 60's besides a small bit of drizzle Friday afternoon. Was great to make new friends and definitely ate/drank way too much. Think I gained about 10 lbs. on this trip!

As for TWO, like I said, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know how $h!t happens. It was just a little 'hard to swallow' when we were all so dang hungry and wanted something better than chicken or tuna salad sandwiches. I totally understand not being open when you don't have any business. I started this business over 4 years ago and was open on Saturdays more than 2 of those. I never had enough business on Saturdays to make it worth turning the lights on so I changed to M-F only.

Just wondering though...when you stopped for breakfast did they tell you that you could only have eggs, or limit your choices? All I'm suggesting is not to have a sign out front that advertises lunch if you aren't going to honor your full lunch menu during the hours you're advertising. Sounds like it's a crapshoot during the winter months so those not local to the area like myself aren't going to know whats up just by viewing the sign. That's like me advertising motorcycle parts with 9:30-5:30pm on my door but telling a customer that wants a Honda part I'm only selling Suzuki parts today. You get the idea. I see both sides of it though.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by posting that. It was late last night and I admit I may've been a little harsh in my choice of words. Was only trying to show pics and give a little info on the mood and what we experienced. Therefore, I was just stating how it made me feel at the time and how it was a disappointment when I had heard good things about the place. Kinda like when you hear about something good and you build it up in your mind until you get a chance to experience it, and then it's not what you expected. Like I said, just not a good 1st impression on me, that's all...I'm over it now. I'd give them another shot...

Be careful with your 'dogs on the grill' offer though, we can throw down some food!...
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #38
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Man, you musta copied my earlier post EARLY today as I deleted it almost right away. I didn't want to stir the pot so to speak, just sticking up for our bud, GT.

Anyway, our fridge ALWAYS has dogs and Bubba Burgers in it.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Yeah, same here. Didn't want to piss anyone off either. After going back through and reading my late night insanity a second time I felt bad so that's why I felt like I needed to post up and explain a little further. We've all had our bad days and I shouldn't judge TWO on that one experience. My stomach was ruling my thoughts at that time so I was a little tweaked...especially since I don't eat tuna/chicken salad.

I retract my harsh judgement and will give them a second chance next time I'm down that way...but only if we stop at your place 1st and you're out of hot dogs!
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com
Yeah, same here. Didn't want to piss anyone off either. After going back through and reading my late night insanity a second time I felt bad so that's why I felt like I needed to post up and explain a little further. We've all had our bad days and I shouldn't judge TWO on that one experience. My stomach was ruling my thoughts at that time so I was a little tweaked...especially since I don't eat tuna/chicken salad.

I retract my harsh judgement and will give them a second chance next time I'm down that way...but only if we stop at your place 1st and you're out of hot dogs!

I have all the weiner anyone could ever want.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #41
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Triple D...Dave's Dirttracking Debut

FRIDAY Nov. 7th...Part II
So after our late lunch stop we're all gearing up to head to the other end of town to a stroodle shop for some treats. Dave obviously decided on a whim to do a very small burnout on his DR650 in the wet parking lot. It was so quick and unannounced that I didn't even have time to grab my camera. He then proceeds to pull out of the parking space and we noticed his rear tire was now almost flat. Upon further inspection and trying to air it back up we noticed it was leaking all around the spokes.

So after a short discussion we believed he had ripped part of the valve stem apart but couldn't tell how bad and weren't totally positive on that. It was just a hunch since he didn't have a rim lock and figured the tire spun on the rim when he did the burnout. It was decided just to try and Slime it until we got back to camp later and would replace the tube. Dave and Blue seen here airing the tire back up after Slime application...

The Slime appeared to have fixed the problem so we're off to get our desserts...

We stuffed our faces with some very good delights, had our sugar fix, it was getting late and we're ready to head back to camp. This is where the action really began. A few miles out of town Dave is leading, I'm second in line and it appears his tire is going flat again. He glanced back at it for a split second as if he could feel something wasn't right but don't guess he could really see it as it was getting darker by the minute. I try to pull up closer to him and start pointing at his rear wheel. I thought he looked in his mirror and saw me but not sure because at that exact moment the tube finally let go and BAM...he was in what looked like almost a flat-trackers complete sideways slide where the ass-end was trying to pass the front! Not to mention all of this was happening in the middle of the road with 6 other bikers and cars all behind him! I'm hitting the brakes, trying not to run over him, throwing one arm up for the others behind me to slow down and Dave is fighting to keep control of his bike as the tire was trying to run off the rim for about 75-100 yards or more at about 45-50mph when it all started. Luckily he made it all the way to the grass ditch and never crashed. One of the most spectacular saves I've seen in a long time. I only wish I could've captured it on film because it would've made one hell of a keepsake for our trip.

So once we're all pulled to the side of the road and the "pucker factor" subsides for everyone a tube change was in order...

Blue mentioned at one point that we need to jump in and help because to the passing cars we must've looked like a bunch of state employees. Reason being there were 6 of us just standing around watching (and taking pics...hey, somebody had to do it )while poor Dave was doing all the work. However, we all agreed that we were impressed with his tube changing skills, and how prepared he was with all the spare necessaties needed to do the job...and even some trick goodies not needed but good to have along to make the job a little easier. Way to go Dave!!! Now if it wasn't for Blue charging him to use his tire irons and hand wipes afterwards Dave would've came out a lot better!

By the time it was all back together it was pretty much dark. We were on the road again and next stop was for gas. Can't remember exactly what town it was but we stopped, topped off and as we're leaving I hear a guy yelling at us. At first I didn't think much of it and thought he might be yelling at someone else so I didn't even turn around. Then he yelled again so my next thought was one of us accidently rode off and forgot to pay. At that point I turned around and it was another customer pointing to KevinB's tank bag lying on the ground by the pump he just left. What another great save! His digital camera and other valueables were in there. Thanks Mr. Gas Station Yeller Guy! +1 for good sameritans left in the world. After this we had an uneventful ride the rest of the way back to camp...thank goodness! Now let's have a drink.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)

wickedthunder.com screwed with this post 11-11-2008 at 08:50 PM
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #42
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Saturday Nov. 8th...
Not much to tell for the morning except it started off like the previous 2 days...nice and sunny, but cool. Dropped 1 but picked up 3 more riders for the day as well...

Around 10am everybody starts to gather and soon we're off with our fearless leaders Danny & Blue showing us the way...

Here we were debating on a pretty swampy creek crossing with a small, but difficult looking bank to climb out on the other side...

It had rained off & on pretty good overnight so according to Danny it was about 8" higher than the last time he crossed it and it was muddier too. Therefore, we all agreed it wasn't the best idea to try it with the high possibility of getting soaked so early in the cool morning, which would lead to being cold the rest of the day. We move onward.

The whole purpose of debating on the creek crossing above was to take a somewhat untraveled back way into this dam...

Watch out...it's alien tractor beams trying to abduct us!

From there we took a short run up to the backside of the dam. Yep, plenty of water up here...

Danny getting ready to test a new farkle installed on his DRZ...submarine mode...

From there it was up the mountain to Buck Bald...

Man, what great views!...

Seems there was more than one "bald" up there... Sorry guys, I couldn't resist...

From there it was on to Trail 82 back over to Joe Brown Hwy. Jon and KevinB shredding the trail...

Don't let Bob fool you with those 90% street Avon's. He'll put that big KLR wherever he wants it to go! Although we did here about a little front end tuck and spill that we missed after we reached the trails end. Don't let these pics fool you either. If you've never ridden Trail 82 it's a lot tighter than this most of the way. This just happened to be one of the few places with enough room I could pull over to take a pic...

Danny blazing thru...

From there we took Joe Brown a short ride out to a nice lunch stop...

Blue was one of the 1st to order and finish eating so he took off to scout out the back way into Witt Rd. I was really looking forward to this and the water crossings I've seen in other reports! Especially since we had every intention of hitting it on our last trip back in May but we never made it. So once Blue returned we were all done stuffing our faces and ready to roll. Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the 1st creek crossing as everyone was too close together coming thru there I didn't have time to get my camera out. One of the guys had a little problem with his XR not wanting to run after that 1st crossing. So once it appeared to be running again I took off ahead of everyone to try and catch the next water hazzard...

The foul running culprit...although it ran fine the rest of the day

Didn't get any shots of the last crossing either...too bad because it was the biggest and baddest by far. Not to toot my own horn but the 1st 4 guys wussed out and took a shorter, more shallow route to the edge as I watched and debated on hitting the middle. The sun was at such an angle you couldn't see how deep it was or what rocks might lie underneath, but you could tell it was a lot deeper than the route they chose. Ah...what the hell... Somebody's got to be the guinea pig, right? Wish I had a shot of me barreling thru the middle in about 2+ ft. of water! And I did make it across if you were wondering...but got pretty soaked. Anybody that got a shot of that last watering hole post up...because it was pretty gnarly.

From there we trekked on to Mike's shop in Tellico again...

Hey wait, who took that shot of some strange girls butt with my camera?!
Sorry, did I say we stopped at Mike's again...aaaayyyyyee, more aliens!!! Maybe they were coming to check out all that Olympia gear for their space travels...

Busy Saturday afternoon...

From there a few split off to head back to camp while the rest of us, led by Blue, headed to Waucheesi tower...

More spectacular views...

The shadows were getting long and daylight dwindling so off we go to make our way back to Tellico's Trail 1 and back to camp. Saturdays ride to me was probably the best of the 3 days so it was a perfect ending to a great weekend...

Aaaahhh...the warmth of a good campfire...not to mention some cold beverages (Was I the only one wearing "drinking gloves" all 4 nights? )

The rest of us got back to camp around 5:30 or so. Danny and his wife had some great BBQ and all the fixin's prepared. I'll say it again, what a great host! I'd like to say thanks again to Danny and his wife for having all of us, Danny and Blue for leading us around, Danny, his wife, and one of the other wives (who fixed the beans) which I never got her name for feeding us such a great meal. I know my gang plans on returning for another shot at the 1st "official" Fuzzy Beaver rally in the spring, and I highly recommend anyone else considering it to plan on joining us. It will be well worth your trip!!!

Would love to see some other pics if any of you guys snapped some...
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #43
Zrexrob
Fla Mountains...yep!

Oddometer: 1,712
Dammit!! I don't know how I missed this thread??? I need to pay attention more often...oh well Looks like a great time. Maybe i'll catch the next one.
Bob you get a new truck?

Seven deadly sins Seven ways to win Seven holy paths to hell And your trip begins...
Zrexrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #44
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Dammit!! I don't know how I missed this thread??? I need to pay attention more often...oh well Looks like a great time. Maybe i'll catch the next one.
Bob you get a new truck?
Yeah Jag, what happened? I posted a link to this over in the HARDCORE thread weeks in advance. Glad to hear you're back out riding again after the long wait... Really got a kick out of your pic with you riding in the cast and toes hanging out!
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #45
SalsaBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Good job fellas. Hopefully I can make the next one.

"If your wiener is happy, then you're happy"-Beavis

where I get my parts: www.wickedthunder.com
SalsaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote