User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
rogerc OP
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Dual Sport with Fuel Injection

Been researching on line and looking for info on what fuel injected dual sports are out there now or what is in store for 2009.
Can't find much info......
What is the rumors of what bikes that will have fuel injection?
All info appreciated.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Hollow
Banned Camp

Oddometer: 276
I may be wrong but I THINK the vstroms have FI... ah damnit Im probably wrong.

Proudly wasting your time one post at a time since January 2008.
Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,050
I know some of the GAS GAS bikes had FI. Some of the larger Husky bikes have it. And I believe the new Yam WR250 has it.
Not an expert so someone else should verify this.

RH
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
BikeSDP
Detroit Leanin'

Oddometer: 493
KTM 690 Enduro is FI now and for 2009. The Husky TE-610 I bought has it.
BikeSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Since you're in Thumpers, I'm assuming you're asking about thumpers. The BMW G650X Challenge is fuel injected.The new Husky 610 is FI in addition to the above ones.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Twotrak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I'm pretty sure that for 2010 almost everything will have fuel injection and a catalytic converter if it's street legal. Check out the EPA's webb site. By the way, I notice on the site that there is some type of a once in a lifetime custom bike exemption. I wonder if that is a loop-hole that would allow people in states that don't allow dual sporting a dirt bike to have a once in a lifetime chance to do so if they call it a custom.
Twotrak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Boy I hope it doesn't all go to FI. Well regardless, my old carbed bike will have to stay. Don't want FI on a street bike, let alone a dirt bike.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotrak
I'm pretty sure that for 2010 almost everything will have fuel injection and a catalytic converter if it's street legal. Check out the EPA's webb site.
To clarify.. yes in 2010 emissions standards will become more stringent federally. BUT.. the 2010 emissions are already in place in CA as of 2008 model year, so any bike that is being sold in CA right now can still be sold in 2010 and thereafter. There will still be carbed and air cooled bikes.

On another note Honda has said that every bike they sell will have FI by 2010... from scooters to dual sports.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Boy I hope it doesn't all go to FI. Well regardless, my old carbed bike will have to stay. Don't want FI on a street bike, let alone a dirt bike.
For a view from the far side, I've been holding off on buying while hoping the DR's will come out with FI. Does this mean I might get my wish in 2010?

FWIW, I had FI on BMW's for years and loved it. My K models all had an electronic adapter for high altitude. Just plug in a little thingy about the size of a cigarette butt to a cable tucked under the side panel and presto, the fuel mix tweaking took care of itself electronically via the computer.

And if my recollection is right, on most of the new FI'ed bikes the rider simply turns on the switch and gives the oxygen sensor a moment to read the atmosphereic levels, and then starts the bike. Mixture is taken care of with no roadside guesswork.

The downside of electronic FI is that if it tears up, you are really screwed, because the computerized nature of the beast means it has to be serviced at a qualified shop. I never had one go bad, but knew that if it did, I would be light in the wallet as a result.

Oh yeah, and back to the origional question -- the BMW F series dual sports have been FI'ed since around 2000 or so. Decent power and great fuel mileage.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerpro
For a view from the far side, I've been holding off on buying while hoping the DR's will come out with FI. Does this mean I might get my wish in 2010?

FWIW, I had FI on BMW's for years and loved it. My K models all had an electronic adapter for high altitude. Just plug in a little thingy about the size of a cigarette butt to a cable tucked under the side panel and presto, the fuel mix tweaking took care of itself electronically via the computer.

And if my recollection is right, on most of the new FI'ed bikes the rider simply turns on the switch and gives the oxygen sensor a moment to read the atmosphereic levels, and then starts the bike. Mixture is taken care of with no roadside guesswork.

The downside of electronic FI is that if it tears up, you are really screwed, because the computerized nature of the beast means it has to be serviced at a qualified shop. I never had one go bad, but knew that if it did, I would be light in the wallet as a result.

Oh yeah, and back to the origional question -- the BMW F series dual sports have been FI'ed since around 2000 or so. Decent power and great fuel mileage.
Good post.

From a different prespective than most. I ride and wrench on these FI bikes alot. And have been doing this for years. I just prefer the normally asparated bikes. Cars? I could care less about. I ride everyday, all year around. I have no carb issues period. My truck just sits, unless I have to pick up a bike.

FI is not evil, I just don't need it.

On the flip side my main job in the spring is cleaning out all these carbs from people storing them in the winter! One thing that is great about FI. If you ride everyday, carb is the way to go, if not, then honestly, FI might just be the ticket?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Well it's not like your KLR won't last forever...
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #12
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,834
Like the FI on my Dakar...

Almost 45K miles and not a hiccup. I do ride almost every day and get between 55 mpg (shagging on the slab and 80 mph or more) and have gotten over 68 mpg when riding in the sub-65 mph range.

I like it.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Don't be scared!

Why is everyone so scared of EFi? If you have an e-start on your bike then you already have a battery... and all bikes use a CDI ignition these days - if that goes wrong you're in the same position (ie. screwed).

The 'only' potential downside with EFi is you need a fuel pump (another item to potentially fail) in the tank - but seriously, the benefits of EFi really outway the downsides, especially on a dual sport bike...

As someone said above, in not too many years time, all bikes (that are road legal) will have to have EFi just to get through ever more stringent emissions testing...

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I believe the 2008 Yamaha WR250X and R have FI

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-76600.html
Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I would love to have fuel injected dualsport. I have fuel injection on my 919 and its great. No matter the temperature, all I have to do is push the button and it starts right up. I wish my dirt bikes were that easy. And think how easy it would be to start after laying the bike down.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote