Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
redtim OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
The first Adventure, San Francisco to Big Sur. AKA brokeback weekend.

I'm getting excited for adventure number two, a trip around Northern California over Labor Day weekend so I thought I'd practice a ride report beforehand.

My flatmate and I both had the weekend free, and the weather was looking warm, not a common occurrence for the Central Coast of California. We decided a camping trip was in order.

After no shortage of brokeback jokes from the girlfriends, Ben loaded up his sv650 and I strapped my shit to the DR650 and off we rode.

The trip down was uneventful, great weather trying to make good time so we could set up camp by dark, so no pictures.

For those unfamiliar, once you get south of Monterrey, HWY 1 turns into a beautiful twisting road with constant views of the Pacific and we happened to be about halfway through the stretch when the sun started to set. The warm weather over the Pacific was causing the sun to stretch into some amazing shapes, but we rode through it hoping to make the campsite before it got pitch black.

That didn't happen

Once we hiked to our site, everything was pitch black and we ended up guessing where we should set up.

That ended up working out well, and this is what we woke up to

Spent the morning hanging out and enjoying the weather then decided we were going to tackle the Old Coast highway, 10.3 miles of steep but generally maintained dirt road.

I had never ridden offroad before, but on a previous trip this was the road that convinced me I needed a DS bike and I was ready to get into it. Ben was all decked out in the latest in offroad fashion

and those street tires weren't quite getting the job done

but going up the first hill you come to a viewpoint and see

which makes his bike getting repeatedly dropped worth it (to me at least)

the road has more great scenery

along the whole length, it is really a great way to get a little bit of confidence on something other than the street.

back onto the slab

and back to San Francisco.

It was a great first motorcycling adventure, and hopefully there will be plenty more to come.

hope you enjoyed
redtim is offline   Reply With Quote