Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
gco0307 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Oz - NSW - week off, what to do - ride of course!

Well with Matty withdrawing from the ride late on Tuesday it wasn't going to deter me from getting out and about, but where?

Well actually the where was easy as I hadn't been to Shallow Crossing since the ride from Touser's just after christmas, so it was onto the bike and south along the Princes Highway to Milton.

The ride to Milton itself was uneventful and quite enjoyable as the traffic was light, the sun shining and the road beckoning as the stress melted away. Turning right at Milton it was onto the road to Shallow Crossing and onwards to the nice set of sweepers that wander through the undulations before you hit the gravel.

So onto the gravel I head and it is the usual well packed and travelled surface that allows plenty of grip and a quick pace if that is what you wanted, but I didn't and cruised along instead, even stopping to smell the flowers.

It was actually surprisingly warm in amongst the trees as I watched the birds fly while the dogs barked all the while smiling at what had been and knowing what was to come.

A little further along, another stop and photo.

And then the fun started.

Tootling along the track something caught my eye so I stopped for the obligatory look (and the must take shot of the bike).

Remount and start all over again, only to see another interesting site that clearly described the tree.

The road was a piece of alright as well.

So remount and start again, yep you guessed it, another wacky sign (this one is obscured but is 'spring water')

So after all that it was off towards the crossing provided I was on the right road and I was.

The roads in the area vary from very narrow single lane through to wide sections of highway width. The single lane varies from tight, rough and cattle infested to more open and flowing as you find your way through forests and across farmland all the while having an absolute ball. The wider stretches, well they are heaps and heaps of fun as you just let the bike enjoy itself as you enjoy the surroundings and eventually you will arrive at Shallow Crossing.

Someone had even gone to the trouble of building a little pool.

Crossing the river was easy as it was the hoped for low tide and only about two inches of water remained on the causeway so it across and onwards towards Nelligen.

While heading along I came across a small 'dip' in the road that was covered with water, so with temptation to great I hit it around the 80kmh mark and soon found that whilst the jacket and pants are waterproof, it is possible to force water up the leg of the pants and down the boot. Lesson learnt .......................... not. ;D

Not long after I noticed a rather ominous warning over the ridge.

But with roads like this to follow I wasn't about to worry so put the camera away, and headed on.

Eventually after much enjoyment as the road wandered around, up and over small ridges I came to an intersection with Black Flat Road and remembering that I had seen a road sign for this road on the Kings Highway (when travelled previously) I decided to follow. Not long into the road I was reminded of the smoke, but not before finding a sensational piece of uphill road that really was not to disappoint, but then I got to the fire.

Thankfully it was a controlled forestry department back burn that was being attended by a number of rangers, so nothing to worry about and I continued on.

As it turned out, Black Flat road was a sensational fast, flowing and undulating piece of road that afforded spectacular views through the trees as far east as the Ocean and west to the ridge tops. Unfortunately though the road did have to end but thankfully it was at the Kings Highway, which as people know does have it's own attractions.

So it was back onto the sealed stuff and up towards Braidwood which was thoroughly enjoyable due to very little traffic and what was present was caught at the right times so caused no problems. Mind you, I don't ride Kings much but really did have a ball and can see why it is infested with the police at times as is a bike riders paradise for those so inclined.

Not wanting to go into Braidwood I took the Northangera Road turn off and headed to Mongarlowe, with a photo stop of course.

Turning right at Mongarlowe it was onto Charleys Forest Road, a road I have only ridden once previously but really enjoyed it, this was to be no different as it offers everything one could want to enjoy a ride from breathtaking country scenery to a challenging piece of road.

Eventually CF Road meets Nerriga Road and so it was right turn towards Nerriga, but I was looking for something, somewhere I haven't been before. Found it, and so it was left on to Corang PO Road and this turned into an 'interesting' decision.

The road starts nicely as it wanders through what I assume is private cattle and sheep grazing property, so you do need to be careful to avoid the animals and there, well, crap they leave on the road.

After a while there was a gate onto another property (I assume), and not having only seen 'shut the gate' and 'stay to the road' signs(nothing indicating private property) I assumed all was ok and trudged on. Now this is where the road deteriorated a bit and became a very 'single vehicle' road but judging from the tyre tracks it was well used so I figured I was on the right track.

This piece of Corang PO Road was fun, and I mean heaps of fun as it was narrow, muddy in patches and bought a massive smile to the face as it really wast he type of road I was hoping it to be. It even has a small river crossing which did cause a moment of two as the front wheel found a patch of soft sand/rocks and started to bury itself, but I caught it, regrouped and powered out the other side. Seriously a fun test and one I will be back to with mates for what would be some damn good photos.

Don't let the photo fool though as it was around the 15 - 18 inches deep in places (yep, I found one of them so I do know ;D ).

Once across the river the track remains narrow but still immense fun and eventually you arrive at the intersections with Western Reef road which is the road I was actually trying to find in the first place. Turning right we head towards Oallen Ford along more of the same roads with a bit more mud and sand thrown in, all good fun mind you.

After a few minutes I found the gate I was after which really mean the end of the exploring part of the ride as it was the easy Oallen Ford road/Nerriga Road homeward route, all was over to soon.

No more pics of detail other than to avoid Nerriga Road midweek as the delays caused by the roadworks are getting longer but all are necessary as it would just be to unsafe given the machinery around.

Ok, so thats it.

Garry
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,967
Nice one Gaz

Just a pity I couldn't get the day off or I would have joined you
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
gricho
Trust me its this way

Oddometer: 131
Excellent Garry, I do love that part of the country.

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
gricho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
and a good ride it is, indeed.. thanks for posting
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,575
another nice one. thanks for that.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/