Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria

Hello mates,

Here are some pics of the first part of my last trip, I hope you'll enjoy

But before the pics I (and my gf) would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Leila & Andrea, a nice couple of adventurers from Italia who invited us for a last night of holidays in their house in Bologna. They made the end of our trip perfect See you my friends

Let's go !

As most of my trips the story begins with a boat, from Marseille in France to Tunis in Tunisia.

The departure offered me a great view of Marseille.

Then of course I had to deal with the Tunisian customs, long but easy, mostly compare to what I'll have to deal with during the rest of the trip...

At least the trip had really started after this, let's cross Tunisia in direction of Libya!

I took the road that follows the coast, crossing some nice village and enjoying my time with locals etc.

The Tunisian countryside is very quiet and it's a nice place for riding.

There are thousands and thousands olives trees field along the road with many locals selling olive oil on the road side.

I was still driving in direction of Libya.

The place started to get more dry as I was going south to the doors of the desert.

In a village I found a nice motorcycle workshop

But I had to drive, my gf was arriving by plane in Cairo one week later, so I had to be over there on time to pick up her at the airport.

I went to the Island of Djerba by boat for one night but it was not so nice, too many tourists, too expensive, etc...

That was the end of the few twisties I found...

But at least I was on the good road !

Now it's time to cross Libya in direction of Egypt.

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

Let's continue this story with Libya. I had only a transit visa for Libya so I had to stay on the coastal road, not allowed to go south to see the desert. If you want to visit Libya you have to pay a Libyan guide that will come with you during your trip, it's pretty expensive...

At the border I got a new licence plate for the bike, in arabic.

As it was lunch time when I entered Libya I stopped in the first village I crossed to have a break. That's where I met my first Libyan people (except the customs officiers at the border).

They were very nice and offered me a lunch

Then I went to the city of Tripoli (Tarabulus) which is quite nice, large avenues, nice buildings, a lot of trees, etc. But it had no real charm compare to some others middle-east city I've been before...

So I kept driving to find a small hotel in a village where the manager was very nice, he took me in his car for a sigthseeing tour of the area (not so much things to see...).

It's really hard to find a place to stay in Libya as everything is wrote in arabic, even the signs "HOTEL" on the building are wrote in arabic...

And the coastal road is boring, 2500km straight...

There are many road side stops where you can have a coke, a sandwich, etc.

Many camels are crossing the road and they are really not afraid by cars or bus...

Even if it's straight 99% of the time,

Sometimes you have to take a decision on where to turn and without a GPS it could be quite complicated.

I forgot also, every 50km there are police/military check points where you're asked to show your passport, the bike papers, your luggage sometimes, etc...

The best thing in Libya is the price of the fuel... 1euro = full tanks!

After 2500km I was getting close to Egypt...

On the top of these hills it's the border

But when you arrive at the Libyan side of the border you're told that the office that collect the arabic plates you get when entering in the country was 10km before in a small village... so you're offered to leave your bike here and to take a ride in a brand new car with customs officiers to get to that office...

I'm out of Libya now, let cross the Egyptian side of the border... or at least I'm going to try to...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Great start, Aurel, keep it coming!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

I'm in Egypt! Or I would better say I'm at the border... he took me 26h to enter the country... it's so expensive to enter the country with a bike (around 80euros) that I was out of money to pay for all the papers.

So I had to leave the bike at the customs, do 250km with sheeps at the rear of a truck, go to a bank to get money, take a bus to get back to the village near the border then take a taxi to the borders.

Egyptian customs are horrible, it's a f***ing mess!!! Nobody speak english, nobody tells you what you have to do, their are offices everywhere but no indications on where to go, all the papers are in arabic and it's crowded like hell...

First view of Egypt.

I was suppose to go south in the desert to the Oasis of Siwa but I was such bored by all the time I lost at the customs and it was so late in the afternoon that I did 600km to get to Alexandria where I have some family. I had a good rest and I started to enjoy my stay in Egypt with my family waiting for my gf to arrive in Cairo.

I've been many times to Egypt but I always like to visit again and again the place I know like the Alexandria Library.

I also took a few hours to do an oil change so that we won't have to do anything on the bike for the rest of the trip.

Then the day I was waiting for arrived, my gf was in the plane from Paris to Cairo

So I took the desert highway to Cairo.

And arrived in one of the most crowded and polluted city of the world...

Many bikers in Cairo.

In the evening I went to the airport and picked up my gf and guess where we've been on the next morning to start the day ?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

We took many shots that morning especially for my dealer which is supporting me for my trips

I tried to take some shots that shows how tall are these pyramids.

Then we drove south along the Nile river to others pyramids less famous but still very nice to visit.

It's hard to tell with that picture how tall is that one :

But believe me it's huge!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Frontpage !
And this picture defines you, Mr K, so well !!!!!

awesome !
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Hi Aurel.I hoped to have heard of you while passing through here.,but no response.Nice trip.Keep it coming....
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

I forgot to introduce you my gf, Roxy, she has been very very brave during that trip as you will see later

After that exhausting day (very hot) in Cairo we went back to Alexandria to find some fresh air along the sea.

We spent a full day enjoying the beach and having some good time before the rest of the trip.

As we were short on time for that trip we had to leave the West side of the Red Sea to go in Sinai, in direction of Jordan.

Sinai is awesome! But as usual we didn't had the time to see everything.

We decided to have some rest in Sinai. That was the first "adventure" for my gf so I was trying to go easy. This beach was awesome for diving and snorkeling Many fish with all the sizes, the shapes, the colors you can imagine.

Roxy was really enjoying Middle-East

Too much enjoying it!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #9
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
Hi Aurel.I hoped to have heard of you while passing through here.,but no response.Nice trip.Keep it coming....
We were in a hurry in Turkey, quite late on our planning so we had to skip Istanbul But we'll be in your area on our way to our next destination

Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos

Frontpage !
And this picture defines you, Mr K, so well !!!!!

awesome !
/thierry
I ordered a big printed version of that picture that we'll put in our house, as you said it defines me quite well

See u Thierry

Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

After that good day of rest we had to go East to Nuweiba, to catch a ferry for Jordan.

One more time the road was very nice.

In case you wouldn't know what you're looking at...

The black rocks of the moutains and the yellow sand make a nice contrast IMHO.

Yes, we love Sinai!

Then we reached the East side of the Red Sea.

On the left the harbor of Nuweiba, let's get out Egypt and visit Jordan!

Actually it took us 6h to buy the ticket and to do all the papers for the bike before being allowed to exit Egypt...

The boat was supposed to leave at 3pm but it left at 9pm... quite a long delay for a 1h ride...

Once in the harbor of Aqaba, Jordan, the captain told us that as we were very late there was no space left to park the boat... so we had to wait until midnight for a boat to leave... Egypt...

Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
Thank you for sharing your journey! Call it The Long Way Down- ADV style. Unlike those other blokes, you're riding the right machine...

Old 08-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

1 o'clock in the morning, we're out of the customs, free to ride in Jordan!

So now, where do we go ? Hum... let's go for Petra! It's only 150km from here so we could be in our bed at 3am

After many twisties by night we arrived in Petra and slept for hours and hours... on the next morning (we woke up at 1pm) we thought we could leave or stuff at the hotel and go to visit Wadi Rumm in the South.

That was a good idea... it was AWESOME!

Tomorrow morning we'll go to Petra at 6am to visit the place alone

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392

Outstanding!! Keep it coming

I won't post my pic from Petra until you do the honors first! I was there in '05

kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
aurel OP
Cheese&Wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
I won't post my pic from Petra until you do the honors first!
Thanks

So here are the pics from Petra. The early wake up was a good idea, we walked for 6hours in Petra almost alone. When we left around 1pm the place was crowded with asian tourists everywhere, a nightmare to enjoy the site...

Perfect, we're at the good place, that's Petra

I never thought Petra was so huge, you have to work a lot in the canyons to visit all the place.

The sun was playing with us in the canyons but it was not too hot, perfect to enjoy the place.

It's awesome to see what these people do with only a few tools... a giant water delivery system all around the site

And now the pic you all know...

But have you already saw that temple with a stupid french guy trying to wake up a camel in front of it ?

Still along the canyons we went to more and more awesome places.

Then we started a 800 stairs clibbimg to reach the hightest temple of the site.

Before leaving we took some fresh drinks to give us time to realize all the wonders we saw since the beginning of the trip...

Just for your curiosity here is a picture of Petra from the moutains, you would never imagine there are such wonders hidden in these canyons.