ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #46
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,384
Thumb LA B2V for me

Looks like I have a pass to go on this ride! Can't decide wether to take the newly dual-sported 450 MXC, or the trusty 950 for the DS route.

Any other 950's getting knobbed up for this???

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #47
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,209
To me, it's a logistical/hassle factor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
Can't decide wether to take the newly dual-sported 450 MXC, or the trusty 950 for the DS route.
If you have the logistics worked out on shuttling your 450 to the start line in the Smell-A area, and home from Lost Wages, then the 450 may be more fun since you can tackle any terrain they throw at you on that bike....

However, if you've been there/done that, or don't really care about tackling the tougher stuff, or don't feel like hassling with all the logistical crap that this ride entails if you shuttle, then you may have a blast on the 950 too......

I've done it before on my EXC400 so I thought I'd try something new involving more miles/less logistical hassle and ride it on my Adv bike this year (granted my ADV bike is smaller/lighter than a 950 or one of the other big ADV bikes).

Spooned a new MT16 front and D606 rear on the 620 last night.....new chain and rear sprocket will go on before this weekend .......valves have been adjusted.......all systems go.......looking forward to the ride......BRING IT!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 11-04-2008 at 09:26 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
ktmdog
ktmdog

Oddometer: 14
big bike

I am taking my 950 ridin there ridin back. note i believe yo need a GPS for the adv route (which I have) I am speaking to the promotors about the routre as we speak
looking for a ridin buddy
any takers
I live in Sylmar N (San Fernando Valley)
Steve
ktmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #49
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdog
I am taking my 950 ridin there ridin back. note i believe yo need a GPS for the adv route (which I have) I am speaking to the promotors about the routre as we speak
looking for a ridin buddy
any takers
I live in Sylmar N (San Fernando Valley)
Steve
What is your plan?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #50
ktmdog
ktmdog

Oddometer: 14
Plan what plan?

Basicly up early friday off to sign in
Still deciding which way to go
do the route then back on the 15 on Sunday or I can take Monday off and create a cool route for the way back
I am a fairly good off road rider and have done this ride 4 or 5 times a long time ago ( I am 51 years young) Easy way is not bad but those LOOOOONG sandwashes can be a pain I di it on a klr one year and it was not so fun all else is O.K.
off to work
thanks
Steve
ktmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #51
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
I'm out

I just started a new job and can't get the time off for this epic ride. You FF's have a great time and post some pics for us at home.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #52
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,677
i'm also looking for peeps to hook up and ride.

my usual L.A. crew is not going to make this one, so i'm solo so far and this is my first L.A.-Barstow-Vegas.

i have an 07 KLR650, pretty okay rider, want to do hard route, i have a Garmin 76csx and a roll chart, probably slabbing back(gotta work on Monday), have not looked into motel situation, etc.

so some guidance in the planning, gear, routes, etc etc.

thanks,
charles
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #53
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR

my usual L.A. crew is not going to make this one, so i'm solo so far and this is my first L.A.-Barstow-Vegas.

i have an 07 KLR650, pretty okay rider, want to do hard route, i have a Garmin 76csx and a roll chart, probably slabbing back(gotta work on Monday), have not looked into motel situation, etc.

thanks,
charles
Sounds like me.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #54
mudpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Puke barstow to vegas info....

Here's the link to message boards for the barstow to vegas run. You'll find all the info. you need there.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...isplay.php?f=5
mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #55
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpig
Here's the link to message boards for the barstow to vegas run. You'll find all the info. you need there.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...isplay.php?f=5

i posted over there as well.

i'm sure i would end up hooking up with some folks on the way, but i DO want to ride fast, i DO want to ride the hard route, if i could split a motel room and possibly get a ride back in a truck, i would like to do that.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #56
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR

thanks,
charles
Fresh tires, tire tools, camelbak and snacks, 14t front sprocket, clean air filter, comfortable riding gear, you'll be fine.

Don't lollygag and take pictures, stay on it or you'll finish in the dark, and that sucks.

This'll be my 8th time, 7th on my 99 KLR.
I cheated rode an XR650R one year.

Thanks
CA Stu

PS Hope you like to ride sand.
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #57
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck57
I raced the real deal in 1984 on a Suk RM500, (why to much fun). I would do this but I don't have the right scooter for it. The WR Yam isn't street legal (damn it).
Kids!

I entered the real deal in 74 on a Triumph 500 but broke clutch cable on the starting line. Came back in 75 on an XL175 finished just out of top 10% no-trophy! In the early-mid 90's I was the first chairman of the Dual Sport event after Jim Pilon who was chairman of the first several ones.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #58
PigTamer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Heavy Pig!!

Hi Guys, just came back to Bike Life after 20 years of envy & tears at the sight of lucky riders. Used to be moto-x'r (racer) until my early 20's, then the fun stopped. By Divine intervention and Boss's benevolence I'm back with a vengeance, got a 04 1150gs .....and loooooving it. Questions: Is it too big for the LA-B-LV? Since I have only ridden 300+ miles so far, how good of a shape you suppose to be in to ride? Any other Riders from southeast L.A County? Thanks,

J.C.
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #59
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Fresh tires, tire tools, camelbak and snacks, 14t front sprocket, clean air filter, comfortable riding gear, you'll be fine.

Don't lollygag and take pictures, stay on it or you'll finish in the dark, and that sucks.

This'll be my 8th time, 7th on my 99 KLR.
I cheated rode an XR650R one year.

Thanks
CA Stu

PS Hope you like to ride sand.
hey Stu,
we've met at Eagle Mike's tech day in the spring/summer.
i wouldn't say i like sand, but i go out to the desert and ride with Riceless quite often and he pushes me to my limits
oh and i'm not a photo guy, but i'm trying to get better since a lot of the guys i ride with like to see ride reports
on my KLR i have a 44 on back, 14 up front, and for the slab back i have a 16.
i will be ordering new 606s for this and i'm good on camelbak, ortlieb dry bags, clean filter and new oil.

so, maybe i'll see you at the starting point.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #60
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigTamer
Hi Guys, just came back to Bike Life after 20 years of envy & tears at the sight of lucky riders. Used to be moto-x'r (racer) until my early 20's, then the fun stopped. By Divine intervention and Boss's benevolence I'm back with a vengeance, got a 04 1150gs .....and loooooving it. Questions: Is it too big for the LA-B-LV? Since I have only ridden 300+ miles so far, how good of a shape you suppose to be in to ride? Any other Riders from southeast L.A County? Thanks,

J.C.
Hi J.C.

They are going to have a Adventure route this year, so I bet you would be fine. Go to the District 37 message board and you will find more info.

Good luck, glad your back in the saddle. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote