User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #31
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,020
I've had my RS through some deep water, over the cylinders
But it was for about 10 seconds, and that fairing, what a beaut! It was like a boat.
I had a few hundred klm of riding to do after the crossing so any water was long gone by days end.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #32
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528

Contemplative Airhead rider.

It ain't a DR..

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Air filter cover.

Does someone know something about this air filter cover ?

Or does someone have better pictures ?

I've been told its a bike from http://www.edelweiss-motorsport.de/

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
I've been thinking about going to a low pipe on the G/S. Anybody ever tried starting a stalled airhead while the pipe was under water? I've done it in a truck but I don't know if that applies.

Thanks!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #35
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
So Prutser, now you've got me thinking about this again. I've been trying to think of a way to keep the snorkels dry, but now you've brought up issues with the carbs in the Sibirsky thread. Where do the carbs vent from?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #36
Thomas B.
desert racer

Oddometer: 165
Hi Prutser,

Where did you get that picture from?
Apart from the airfilter cover I see something strange infront of that. There is a hose attatched to it. What is that?
To your question from the Sibirsky RR. What I did to my vent tubes in the float bowls is, I drilled them out and glued new ones in that stick out about 6mm to the outside. I bend that end parallel to the bowl and attached a hose to it that goes with the hoses from the gearbox breather and the rearwheel drive breather up to my cockpit. I did that many years ago and never had a problem although there is some fluid in that hose sometimes. (After over water riding)
I was thinkig of getting a cover for the airfilter, closing the opennings for the funnels and attatching a big hose to it that leads into the cockpit. I got the hose allready but the cover is still missing. I'll try that next year (maybe).

Hi bgoodsoil,

I have low pipes on my bmw and was on Island this summer. In one watercrossing the gravel was so deep that it sucked all the power from my rear wheel and the engine died. After checking if the air intake was still above the water (I was standing with the water almost to my hips) I tried to start the engine. No chance. The pipes fill with water and then runs into the engine. It wont turn a bit. We pushed it through, blew the water out of the engine and out of the exaust and the engine started fine again.

cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #37
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
Hi Prutser,

Where did you get that picture from?
Apart from the airfilter cover I see something strange infront of that. There is a hose attatched to it. What is that?
To your question from the Sibirsky RR. What I did to my vent tubes in the float bowls is, I drilled them out and glued new ones in that stick out about 6mm to the outside. I bend that end parallel to the bowl and attached a hose to it that goes with the hoses from the gearbox breather and the rearwheel drive breather up to my cockpit. I did that many years ago and never had a problem although there is some fluid in that hose sometimes. (After over water riding)
I was thinkig of getting a cover for the airfilter, closing the opennings for the funnels and attatching a big hose to it that leads into the cockpit. I got the hose allready but the cover is still missing. I'll try that next year (maybe).

Hi bgoodsoil,

I have low pipes on my bmw and was on Island this summer. In one watercrossing the gravel was so deep that it sucked all the power from my rear wheel and the engine died. After checking if the air intake was still above the water (I was standing with the water almost to my hips) I tried to start the engine. No chance. The pipes fill with water and then runs into the engine. It wont turn a bit. We pushed it through, blew the water out of the engine and out of the exaust and the engine started fine again.

cheers Thomas
Thanks for the reply Thomas.

The picture was taken at the BMW event in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
A friend that took the picture told me the bike was a special from .edelweiss-motorsport.de.
I cound not find more info about it. I was told that Edelweiss didn't want to share info about that airbox cover.

The float bowl vent tubes you mention are not in the R100GS bing cabs. In the 80ST 32mm carbs I squeezed them tight after the first sign of stuttering.(it helped a bit but not enough) IMO they are overflow tubes.(correct me iff I'm wrong).
When the float needles are not sealing, the fuel will leak from those tubes.
On the R100GS there is a chance the fuel will leak into the cilinder head or further into the engine.(something I have seen many times)
Iff you take a look at the carbs there is a hole underneath the choke. I'm thinking that could be the weak spot.
On a picture of an HPN bike there is a hose connected to that part of the carb.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...418019&page=49 Maybe this has something to do with it ?

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #38
Daanbanaan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Here a better version of the picture

I remember there was a snorkel that ended somewhere between the front of the tank and the frame
Daanbanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Some carb pictures.

After talking about the water being sucked into my carbs while crossing rivers I took one off an old bike and put it under water.
The overflow tube in the float bowl wasn't leaking.

Left one R100GS Right one R80G/S

This is what I did ..... Closed the ends of the carb and put some pressure on.

This hole was leaking air from the carb.( on both sides of the carb)

On pictures from HPN you can see hoses coming from these holes going up to higher points on the bike.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post

On pictures from HPN you can see hoses coming from these holes going up to higher points on the bike.
Another mystery solved. I wondered what that hose was for:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Another mystery solved.[/IMG]
But now " How to fix the problem"

The outside of the carb shouldn't be a problem. But the hole on the other side of the carb is behind the brass fuel line tube in a real tight space !!!

Any ideas ???

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #42
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
And yet, the air filter is completely exposed to the elements... I suppose at that point, water would be quite a bit higher.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #43
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
And yet, the air filter is completely exposed to the elements... I suppose at that point, water would be quite a bit higher.
You are right. Thats something i didn't get either.
Not making much sense to use that filter on a bike that should be able to go deep with the carb mods.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanbanaan View Post
Here a better version of the picture

I remember there was a snorkel that ended somewhere between the front of the tank and the frame
Any pics of the whole bike? It looks rather special.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #45
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
But now " How to fix the problem"

The outside of the carb shouldn't be a problem. But the hole on the other side of the carb is behind the brass fuel line tube in a real tight space !!!

Any ideas ???
I don't have a pair of bings right here in front of me to look at, but they use the same casting for both left and right side carbs, but then they machine them differently and affix the plastic name plate to make them work on one side or the other. My guess would be that only one of those vent holes actually goes anywhere. Someone want to check it? Either that or maybe they just plugged the one that'd be hard to put a breather on and called a single breather "good enough".

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote