Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #61
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I want to see the pics when somebody sinks their G/S so deep that they need their air filter that high.
This one would have drowned my Beemer. The DR just mader it and I had to drain water from the Airbox on the other side

Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #62
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
That's a much better set-up than the ones for sale over here. Really like the pre-filter and easy to wash top.
The ones they sell over here have a soft rubber outside that slides of the edge of the air box.

I'm thinking about trying this.

And put some waterproof pre-filters over them when doing river crossings to deal with the splashing of a bow wave.
On a trip to Macetown ( An old gold mining town with 26 river crossings each way)I had thought about using some cut off pastic drink bottles cable tied over the snorkels, ( far enough forward to let the engine breath ) to deflect the bow wave water. We ended up just having a go, and drowned a 1200adv Beemer when he took a wrong line into waist deep water. They take ages to de- drown, so we only got about 8 crossings up.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #63
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
I was thinking about putting something like this over the blue foam filters for the deep crossings to avoid water splashing in.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #64
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I've got the same problem with the UNI. Always wondered if there was a way to turn the horns, maybe with some vinyl hose and some how make it bend 90 degrees out to the sides, maybe put a bologna slice on the end so it will keep the water out. Rooney made it look very complicated....

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
A filter that high would really help me ! But with the ST tank there is no room to get tubes there.
I'm thinking of buying a second tank and weld some tubes through that can be connected to the airboxcover.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #65
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was thinking about putting something like this over the blue foam filters for the deep crossings to avoid water splashing in.
They look as though they might do the trick on crossings where water is splashing over the engine or where its only briefly submerged.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #66
wiggins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Didn't the BMW military sidecar rigs have the air filter inside the fuel tank with the air intake coming out of the top of the tank, I remember the top filter cover looking like a helmet????? A person could use a can big enough to hold the round BMW filters and add water drain holes outside of the filter area to drain the water out the bottom. You would lose some fuel volume but you would have the area were the airfilter use to sit to make an additional fuel tank or mount the battery in that position and then build the extra fuel tank were the battery use to sit. This would also be a good area to run the trans and rear end vents to keep them out of the water.

Seems like BMW had a good idea 60 years ago.
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #67
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
If you used a police fuel tank, the radio/toolbox compartment in the top of the fuel tank would be ideal for mounting e air filter
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #68
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,070
Quote:
That's a much better set-up than the ones for sale over here. Really like the pre-filter and easy to wash top.
The ones they sell over here have a soft rubber outside that slides of the edge of the air box.

I'm thinking about trying this.

And put some waterproof pre-filters over them when doing river crossings to deal with the splashing of a bow wave.
I tried this and it wasn't allowing the engine to breathe enough. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the bike was coughing at higher RPMs.....I am a dumb ass.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #69
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I tried this and it wasn't allowing the engine to breathe enough. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the bike was coughing at higher RPMs.....I am a dumb ass.
Interesting..... Do you know if they were against the intake manifolds ?
I made a spring shaped thingy on the inside to keep them about 2" from the intake.

But I still need to try them.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #70
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
Here`s what you need; fitted to early Dakar Rally BMW`s.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #71
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Interesting..... Do you know if they were against the intake manifolds ?
I made a spring shaped thingy on the inside to keep them about 2" from the intake.

But I still need to try them.
I tried that, but just didn't have enough room between the backbone and the starter cover, so I just removed the springs and jammed the filters on the horns....it began pissing off some of the wires and yanking connections in opposite directions. Maybe I need to clean house.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #72
andyfrizzle
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Prutser,

Just a thought regarding water getting into the airbox.

Had you considered fitting (or fabricating) an airbox similar to the one supplied by Moorespeed.

You could fit a tube/pipe to where the air filter locates, then run your 'snorkel' to a higher point, then implement an air filter higher up.

Or alternatively fabricate a cylindrical enclosure, into which the air filter sits, that is then welded to the top of the airbox, then run a 'snorkel' to a higher point on the bike.
andyfrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #73
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfrizzle View Post
Or alternatively fabricate a cylindrical enclosure, into which the air filter sits, that is then welded to the top of the airbox, then run a 'snorkel' to a higher point on the bike.
Refer to page 4:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #74
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfrizzle View Post
Prutser,

Just a thought regarding water getting into the airbox.

Had you considered fitting (or fabricating) an airbox similar to the one supplied by Moorespeed.

You could fit a tube/pipe to where the air filter locates, then run your 'snorkel' to a higher point, then implement an air filter higher up.

The part i'm still thinking about is how to get from the top of the tank near the triple to the airbox using the ST tank. Without changing the looks to much. I might make a tube trough the tank that can be connected to the airbox.
The filter and airbox is something for later, first i need to get through that tank.

Fitting a filter in the tank is another option. Than i could remove the airbox and make another fuel tank on top of the gearbox. The weight would be lower on the bike and I might be able to store more fuel in the extra tank than i would loose by building an airbox in the main tank.

Lots of things to think about but first i would like to fix the carb vent's and than work my way up.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #75
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Ok, you guys are way more advanced on this subject so no laughing at my simple idea. I notice the rooney is still using the filter and airbox top with the clips, but got rid of the horns and came out the top. Can we not just seal around the base where the horns meet the top of the airbox and run flexible tubing off the ends of the horns and up to a filter near the steering neck?