User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Question 1970 Honda CB350

Hey so i just got my first bike, a '70 CB350 last week. It wasn't running when i got it, but a new battery and some fiddling and got her fired up. I gave it a some what of a tune up with new spark plugs and such. Today I did my first ride on a non-residential street and it topped out at 39 mph down going down a small hill. I'm new to motorcycles, but I do know thats not a very good thing for a cb. Anyway, I got the idea that one of the cyclinders might not be firing correctly. I took the plugs out and one had began to blacken (rode it a few miles since new plugs) and the other still looked unused. So I think the left (its a twin) cylinder isnt working right. I took out the plug and touched it to the engine while it was trying to start, and I'm getting spark. I can also feel the air coming out of the plug hole when it turns over, so i think it is getting at least decent compression (dont have a checker, still need to do that). And when it runs you can feel air coming out of the muffler. But when I move the throttle arm on the left side carb, it revs great, but when i move the right side carb throttle, and I get nothing, just a soft kinda gargling weird noise. Maybe not getting fuel.

Anyone have any ideas of what that may be? A buddy said he had the same thing happen to him on his old cb, but he never ended up fixing it. I'll take the float bowl off tomorrow and see whats up in there. But anyone know? I don't know much at all about bikes, so it may be something simple I'm missing!
Thanks!
Schmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,239
Hey Schmors, welcome to the asylum, and congrats on the "new" ride!

I think you're on the right track: you seem to have a fuel problem. If the bike was sitting around for a long time, your carbs may be full of dried fuel residue. You'll probably want to pull them and clean the dried fuel out, if you can't get it running more simply.

Check the fuel level first. If you don't have any fuel in the float bowl, the problem is obviously a lack of fuel, and you'll need to figure out whether the petcock or the fill valve is the culprit. Easy enough: pull the fuel line off the dead carb, and turn on the petcock. If fuel pours out, the petcock is good. You probably have either a faulty fill valve, or the float is installed upside down. (a possibility with these carbs)

If you pull the float bowl and it is full of fuel, you should first check the float level, to make sure it is within spec. If so, you may have passages plugged with dried fuel. There are lots of places inside a carb where fuel can dry up and prevent the cylinder from runnning. Your best bet is to buy a gallon of carburetor cleaner at an auto parts store (not the spray can stuff!) and then dimantle your carbs and soak all the metal parts overnight in the cleaner. Rinse them in water, spray them out with compressed air, and then reassemble the carbs. They are not rocket science, don't be intimidated! You should install new carb kits while you have things apart.

Here's a diagram of the carb, in case you don't already have one:

Oh, and post up a photo of your bike!

BTW, the bike should be able to touch 100 MPH with a slight downhill!

Here's my old one:

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 394
i found the o rings on the enricher screw got flatted ove time ( years) and may start to leak air in the carb. Causing one side not to fire as the mixture is to lean.
seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey thanks Coyboy for all the help!
I just took off the float bowl on the carb and like you said, it was FULL of deposites and junk, white flaky kinda. The float is right side up and moves around and the needle goes in and out, there was fuel in the bowl, and with the petcock open it flows freely. I cleaned it out best i could and tried to get the junk out without taking it off all the way yet. Ah i forgot to check the float level! I looked about right, like the other side though. Can you check the leve with the carb still on the bike? The pin holding the float is stuck which sucks so i didnt even get the float off. I for sure need to rebuild it without a doubt. I took the other side off and it was realllly clean. Looked really good, that side has been running real well. Anyway, have any ideas for a good place to buy a kit for it? Doubting auto zone or place like that would have it.

Very nice looking bike! Someday i hope to get mine to be as pretty! Here's the bike. You can't see, but theres a big rip in the seat. Pretty clean (after some elbow grease) for costing me 50 Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekeronsaltspring
i found the o rings on the enricher screw got flatted ove time ( years) and may start to leak air in the carb. Causing one side not to fire as the mixture is to lean.
Which is the enricher screw and where is it at exactly? Sorry, I don't know a ton bout carbs. The only one I'ev rebuilt was on a 74 vw bug haha.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

I tend to buy parts for my old Hondas either from the local Honda Dealer (you'd be surprised to find how much they still carry) or from David Silver Spares (A British company that specializes in Honda restoration parts. They ship parts fast and cheap.) http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

You can't realistically check the float level without removing the carb, as the carb has to be upside down when you measure the gap. Since your carb was full of dried fuel, you may as well clean and rebuild both carbs completely. DOn't be afraid of these carbs. They are every bit as simple as the carb on your old bug.

The enrichment screw (technically the "idle mixture screw") is number 19 on the diagram I posted.

It's uncanny how much your bike looks like mine did before I restored it. Here's a "before" pic of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmors
Hey thanks Coyboy for all the help!
I just took off the float bowl on the carb and like you said, it was FULL of deposites and junk, white flaky kinda. The float is right side up and moves around and the needle goes in and out, there was fuel in the bowl, and with the petcock open it flows freely. I cleaned it out best i could and tried to get the junk out without taking it off all the way yet. Ah i forgot to check the float level! I looked about right, like the other side though. Can you check the leve with the carb still on the bike? The pin holding the float is stuck which sucks so i didnt even get the float off. I for sure need to rebuild it without a doubt. I took the other side off and it was realllly clean. Looked really good, that side has been running real well. Anyway, have any ideas for a good place to buy a kit for it? Doubting auto zone or place like that would have it.

Very nice looking bike! Someday i hope to get mine to be as pretty! Here's the bike. You can't see, but theres a big rip in the seat. Pretty clean (after some elbow grease) for costing me 50 Bucks!

Which is the enricher screw and where is it at exactly? Sorry, I don't know a ton bout carbs. The only one I'ev rebuilt was on a 74 vw bug haha.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
jayflap
LaMont You Big Dummy

Oddometer: 35
You may want to check the folks at Rice Paddy for the rebuild kits. I just rebuilt the carbs on my '71 (first set I ever rebuilt and it is easy) because they were the only ones that had the rebuild kits in stock. Every other place I called had them on back order until the end of August. That included my local dealers and shops so they must be getting them from the same place.

good luck, and nice bike

Jason
jayflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright awesome. I just orderd a two pack rebuild kit, so i got one for both carbs off ebay, from Rice Patty. That British site is awesome! They have all those little hard to find parts to make the bike look new. Once I get the kit, I'll tear those carbs off and get going. The biggest problem is that I don't have an air compressor to blow everything out with. My boss has one and the carb soak cleaner stuff, so I'll probably try and get his help again (he helped with the bug). Only was scared about pulling them off with the throttle cable and everything, but doesnt seem too difficult. Hopefully.

Oh man it's like the same bike! Very cool. What year is yours? Did you go through the whole thing when you restored it? Looked pretty clean before, but it is absoultely beautiful now! Do you still own it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayflap
You may want to check the folks at Rice Paddy for the rebuild kits. I just rebuilt the carbs on my '71 (first set I ever rebuilt and it is easy) because they were the only ones that had the rebuild kits in stock. Every other place I called had them on back order until the end of August. That included my local dealers and shops so they must be getting them from the same place.

good luck, and nice bike

Jason
Yeah, i went to a local bike shop today, and they said it was backorderd till the 26th. Weird how its all doing that. So i ordered on ebay from Rice Patty, cheapest i could find cause it had two kits with it, for the two carbs. Thanks man.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
The biggest problem is that I don't have an air compressor to blow everything out with. My boss has one and the carb soak cleaner stuff, so I'll probably try and get his help again (he helped with the bug). Only was scared about pulling them off with the throttle cable and everything, but doesnt seem too difficult. Hopefully.
It's good to have friends! In a pinch, you can use that compressed air in a can that they sell for dusting computer parts, but more pressure is better. Be sure to wear safety glasses when you blow out the carb passages, incase some of the carb cleaner is stil inside after rinsing. You don't want that stuff in your eyes!

Quote:
Oh man it's like the same bike! Very cool. What year is yours? Did you go through the whole thing when you restored it? Looked pretty clean before, but it is absoultely beautiful now! Do you still own it?
Mine was a 1970. It was very clean when I bought it, though it was not running, but a fresh battery cured that problem. It was easy to restore, as the previous owner had used it as a daily rider up until about a year before i bought it. Over the year that I rode it, I rebuilt the carbs, mounted new tires and tubes, grips, all the cables, rebuilt the petcock, installed new fuel lines and drain tubes, fixed some bad wiring, repainted the bike, and generally rode the wheels off it. I didn't need to touch the engine or tranny. They were both flawless.

I just went to look at a 1971 CL350 and 1971 CB175 for sale locally. I think I'll have a couple new projects soon!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
It's good to have friends! In a pinch, you can use that compressed air in a can that they sell for dusting computer parts, but more pressure is better. Be sure to wear safety glasses when you blow out the carb passages, incase some of the carb cleaner is stil inside after rinsing. You don't want that stuff in your eyes!
Haha yeah, I used some of that canned air today when i took the float bowl off. Didn't do a whole lot as it hadn't been soaked or anything, but still helped knock off all the loose stuff! Even got some of the spary carb cleaner in my eyes haha. I can still see though, so it's all good

Thats great. It looks so nice now. I love the way they sound. Not too loud and annoying, but not whiney. About perfect for my taste! And mine has glass pac exhast that came on it, i like it. Sounds about as mine, i need some wiring and such too (darn netural light works, when it feels like it). Only engine problem is a small oil leak on the left side in the middle of the case where it goes together, probaly needs a new gasket. But there's something wrong if an old bike doesn't leak at least a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I just went to look at a 1971 CL350 and 1971 CB175 for sale locally. I think I'll have a couple new projects soon!
awesome those will be so much fun if you end up getting them! Should start a thread when you get em and show them off and their progress. Can't wait to see them!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puke

When i took the float bowl off of the right side carb (the clean working one) today, the drain screw on the bottom was all messed up. It wasn't sticking out. Almost looked like someone broke the head off of the screw and forced the rest of it it. So its like half way in the hole and doesn't look easy to get out. Or to find a new screw for it. I'm a bit troubled by this :/
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 PM   #11
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
When i took the float bowl off of the right side carb (the clean working one) today, the drain screw on the bottom was all messed up. It wasn't sticking out. Almost looked like someone broke the head off of the screw and forced the rest of it it. So its like half way in the hole and doesn't look easy to get out. Or to find a new screw for it. I'm a bit troubled by this :/
I wouldn't worry about it, if it doesn't leak. Just leave the broken screw in there, and if you need to drain the bowl, just pull the whole bowl off and dump it. Otherwise, you'll end up mangling the bowl trying to drill out the old screw.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

alright sweet, thats what i was hoping for. Didn't think it would mess it up, but you never know. Thanks again! Should be geting that carb kit in the mail within the next week, so i'll keep you posed :]
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
jayflap
LaMont You Big Dummy

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Only was scared about pulling them off with the throttle cable and everything, but doesnt seem too difficult. Hopefully.
It really is pretty easy. I took them off and got them back on no problem and I am about as mechanically inclined as a monkey. Just make sure you take a good look at how everything is connected so you can put it back the same way. I actually took some pictures so I could have a visual reference as to how everything went together.

Jason
jayflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayflap
It really is pretty easy. I took them off and got them back on no problem and I am about as mechanically inclined as a monkey. Just make sure you take a good look at how everything is connected so you can put it back the same way. I actually took some pictures so I could have a visual reference as to how everything went together.

Jason
Okay good. I was thinking about taking some pictures too so i wouldn't be sitting there confused trying to figure out how it goes together. Haha. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just pulled off the carbs today, so far so good!
Disasembled one so far, only had a hard time getting one jet out. I think I have everything apart. Do I need to take the washer with the trottle and spring off? Supposed to get the kit tomorrow! Whooo hooooooo! Only took apart the cleaner carb, so I'm kinda afraid that I will have a hard time getting everything apart on the dirty one. Couldn't even get the float pin out when i tried earlier. Wish me luck. If i get any questions putting it together, hopefully you smart people will know the answer!