Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 153
My third bike was a 1971 CB350. Those vacuum slide carburetors can work quite well. It may not be a fuel supply issue, but rather that the right side main slide is sticky. The butterflys which are controlled by the throttle cable really only control the vacuum differential which operates the main slide (and main jet needle). Assuming the vacuum passages are clear and the diaphram at the top of the slide on that right carb is intact, I would bet the slide or barrel is not clean. Have fun with that bike.

=o&o> screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 11:44 PM
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o>
My third bike was a 1971 CB350. Those vacuum slide carburetors can work quite well. It may not be a fuel supply issue, but rather that the right side main slide is sticky. The butterflys which are controlled by the throttle cable really only control the vacuum differential which operates the main slide (and main jet needle). Assuming the vacuum passages are clear and the diaphram at the top of the slide on that right carb is intact, I would bet the slide or barrel is not clean. Have fun with that bike.
thanks for the info! I talked to a friend and he said it was something up in there that was stuck or whatever too, like you were saying. So I'm hoping by soaking it with the carb cleaner and blowing it all out it will cure it, and get me up to 50mph!! Do you think that will fix it? Still new at this stuff haha.
Thanks
Schmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright, so I got both apart and soaking right now. The gummed up one was hard to get everything apart with junk in all the cracks. The one that wasn't working, like =o&o> said, the slide with the diapham on top was stuck. had a hard time getting it unstuck even, so obviously why it wasn't working.

and *#^!@*(!@^@*&#!~!!! BOTH diaphrams have small rips in them!! $72 dollars a piece at Roseville Cycle. no good. It looks like the rips had been repaired before. Is there a good way to repair them? Some kind of glue? I have some rubber cement in a tube to try. Any other ideas or anything anyone has done before?? I really can't afford $144 plus tax on diaphrams right now. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
buggiebuggie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Try www.siriusconinc.com He's always been able to deliver the goods at reasonable prices for me...

B2
buggiebuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #20
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggiebuggie
Try www.siriusconinc.com He's always been able to deliver the goods at reasonable prices for me...

B2
Thanks for the link! They didn't have the part though but I think I got it repaired well now. I got this rubber spray stuff from Napa autoparts. Saw a thread on a different site about it. Seems to work pretty well. We'll see how it works when I get the carbs back on. If it works well, I'll make a thread about it so people can hear about it for their diaphragms.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #21
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 153
I'm thinking you will want / need new diaphrams sooner than later.... You might check with the guy in this thread regarding the spare carbs he has.
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
LeeD33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
71 cl 350

i picked up a 71 honda cl 350 last week and have been toying with it, while i wait on a few parts in the mail. they said it was parked cuz the clutch cable was broken and her dad was getting to old for it. when i pulled the carbs they looked great just a little residue in it. i hope to start it soon. it has 7200 original miles on it and 1 owner. your bike looks good man a little better than mine does, have fun with it and good luck. since im here i have a q. my blinkers dont flash very well. theres a 15 to 20 second interval between the flash and im having a hard time finding the flasher relay on it. i have the clymer manual. this is the first bike that ive ever worked on this much but i come from an automotive and mechanical background. when i figure out how to post a new thread on here ill get some pics up. thanks heres 1 pic of my slightly torn down bike and have fun
LeeD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #23
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great bike you got there! They're a great starting bike for working on, I have a blast with mine. Such low miles on it too! With the blinkers, I don't know for sure, don't know a lot about electrical, but try cleaning up all the blinker connections/grounds everywhere. Sounds like just a weak connection or something.
And to start a new thread, go to the category you want it to be under like "old's cool" or whatever and hit post new thread. But feel free to write on here too.

Good luck, you got an awesome bike there!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
Topless Tree
probably not sane

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD33
my blinkers dont flash very well. theres a 15 to 20 second interval between the flash and im having a hard time finding the flasher relay on it.
I have '74 CB360, so I'm not sure where your relay is but its most likely right on the top under the seat. It sounds like it could be a) a bad/failing relay or b) simply a weak battery. Try, cleaning all the connections like Schmors said and make sure you have a new, charged battery (at least to hook up and test it with) and try the blinkers then. If they still don't work, you'll likely have to replace the relay.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Hows the bike coming along, Schmors?

1974 Honda CB360G
Topless Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Schmors OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Tree

Hows the bike coming along, Schmors?
Interesting question. Welll, I finished it pretty much, road it up the street and back, and not its unfinished again. It was running funny, though it would rev up real nice just idling, when I road up the street, it had to full throttle it and it would barley put along.

I figured it just needed more gas since there was hardly any in it. I put some more in it and tried to start it again and the kick starter won't move. I guess the engine siezed somehow. It won't budge. That's about as far as I've gotten, I'll have to pull the engine again when I get a good break from school.
Super frustrating after I think I finally finished it!
It sure looks good though..(and not pink like the picture makes it look )

Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Topless Tree
probably not sane

Oddometer: 21
Wow. Yea it certainly is looking purtiful!

"Welll, I finished it pretty much, road it up the street and back, and not its unfinished again."

Haha. I know that story. And about trying to find time for tinkering while in school. You think maybe the oil is not circulating properly? Can't think of too many reasons it would seize like that. Hmmmm.

Btw, what kind of tire is that on the rear? Got a nice look to it. Might have to consider it when I change the rubber on my CB360.

1974 Honda CB360G
Topless Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #27
theradiostar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Dude, I have the same bike. Frame #1030. Mine bogs down when I get her on the road, too. I'm convinced that there is still crap in the fuel tank that is gumming up my carb jets. Gonna work on her again tomorrow. Earlier this week I got her running and she sprinted up the block and I felt some real joy for the first time since I started working on her. Ran her to the gas station to fill up on premium and bogged down again for most of the return trip. Dirty tank. Gotta be.
As for the seizing, I'm clueless. I hope you get yours running and get to enjoy her. We're all pulling for ya.
theradiostar is offline   Reply With Quote