Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
StuckXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
All vfr firefly and I are saying is it is our opinion that it is harmful to small and simple 2 stroke engines and I for sure wouldn't run it in my $700 Husky saw without taking the neccesary precautions. Like runing it out of gas after each use and not to use gas that has been sitting for long periods of times. I know the local tree guys only buy gas on thursdays at the same gas station every week after the station gets fresh fuel. I think its a little over the top but why risk it on a $1200 95cc chain saw. Just take it with a grain of salt...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Humongous grain of salt.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,643
I ran a landscaping business with my bro for 6 years. We put untold thousands of hours on 2 Honda lawn mowers the stihl leaf blower and trimmer and our Brigs and Straton powered edger. For as long as i can remember the fuel we got was E10. Never a problem with any of that equipment. About the only problems i can see with Ethenol is drying out fuel lines collecting more water than stright petrol and some corrosion on aluminum parts. But to have that kind of effect you need to be running alot more than E10. Realy all the ethenol does is increse the effective octane rating increse condensation an cause a minute ammount of efficiancy loss. Running E10 in my 250R Ninja i still get advertised fuel economy and it still has power. Not that theres realy anything you can do about it anyway...
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
I'd write this panic over ethanol off the same way i would the abs panic. People not fully understanding what a mechanism is, and fearing it as a result.
I'm just not a fan of ethanol as a "green" fuel, its really not, corn is renewable but all those acres of rowcrop usage erode during the off season, and the soil that erodes is nutrient rich and packed full of all that fertilizer, which of course flows down the rivers hits the mississippi and flows down to the gulf, where you can read all you want about the fertilizer poisoning the gulf of mexico.

And as we don't make sugar cane...
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecivic
Some states REQUIRE a sticker on the pump. I'm pretty sure mine (VA) is one of those states. I've been looking for the same list, though... The SHELL stations around me don't have the 10% stickers, so I assume they don't have the 10%. Bike runs somewhat better on that fuel, too.
Nor do the Texaco stations in your area but Sheetz, Wilco, and Amoco/BP do
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,313
www.pure-gas.org

This is a user maintained site...please do your part and help keep it maintained.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #22
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
I'm just not a fan of ethanol as a "green" fuel, its really not, corn is renewable but all those acres of rowcrop usage erode during the off season, and the soil that erodes is nutrient rich and packed full of all that fertilizer, which of course flows down the rivers hits the mississippi and flows down to the gulf, where you can read all you want about the fertilizer poisoning the gulf of mexico.

And as we don't make sugar cane...

Never farmed for a living have you? Worked on a farm?

The 0-0-60 fast release fertilizer spread on so many lawns is more likely the cause of the "nutrient runoff" referred to so often. Farming efficiently,that is making a profit depends on proper soil management. When fertilizer is spread that is followed up by another step which works it into the soil to avoid loss of critical nutrient. That is followed up by a green manure/off season non crop planting to provide resistance to erosion and an additional (basically free) green fertilizer. Lawn care fertilizing depends on watering/rain to do so and in turn causes untold tons of highly efficient urea fertilizer to wash down storm drains.

BTW you don't make sugar cane you grow it. Brazil has wiped out millions of acres of rain forest to grow cane for ethanol production.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,430
Even the rural country gas stations outside of Houston that previously had 100% gas now all have ethanol. It sucks.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #24
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Per puregas.org, three stations in Hudson, WI have non oxygenated fuel. I know Fleet Farm has it. I used to buy fuel for a friend's snowmobile who lived in MN. I live in Hudson, just across the St. Croix river from MN.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #25
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I ran a landscaping business with my bro for 6 years. We put untold thousands of hours on 2 Honda lawn mowers the stihl leaf blower and trimmer and our Brigs and Straton powered edger. For as long as i can remember the fuel we got was E10. Never a problem with any of that equipment.
of course you had no problems as a commercial user, you fuel prolly never sat in the tanks more than a couple hours

problem with E10 in snall engines, lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers rottotillers etc is that with MOST homeowners, the equipment sets being unused for weeks or months between uses , ethanol evaps and gumms up the carbs, not so much of a problem for useders that are aware and used stabilizing products like Stabil(marine) StarTron or Seafoam and drain their float bowls after every use
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #26
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Funny. The #1 ingredient in the stabilizers is usually either methanol or isopropyl alcohol. But the alcohol in between is a liberal conspiracy...

CH3-OH - Methanol. Good stabilizer and winter dry-gas.
CH3-CH2-OH - Ethanol. Teh Debbil, unless you're drinking it.
CH3-CH3-CH-OH - Isopropanol. The "good" fuel stabilizer
CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-OH - Butanol. The perfect drop-in replacement for gasoline that nobody makes. Almost identical combustion characteristics and energy density to gasoline.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quick Organic Chem lesson:

You can use water as a co-solvent to remove the alcohol. Mix in water slowly to your E10, and the water will be dissolved by the alcohol, which is dissolved in the gas. At a certain point, the water/alcohol solution will become insoluble in the gasoline, and drop out of solution. Drain out the water/ethanol mix, and you are left with pure gas.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #28
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
I thought this might be of interest. http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_gu...anol_laws.html

On another issue, Those that attack ethanol on the enviro front act as tho you make ethanol out of the corn and that's it.
I believe a more accurate way of looking at it would be, The corn that was once fed to cattle now has the ethanol removed from it, then is still feed to the cattle. Not as big of a loss as they would like you to think.

I am not a big fan of corn based ethanol but I believe ethanol can and should be part of our energy plan. I just think we should be honest when we discuss issues.

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
I The corn that was once fed to cattle now has the ethanol removed from it, then is still feed to the cattle. Not as big of a loss as they would like you to think.
there is no ethanol in corn to remove

the biggest problem with ethanol from corn is that is't not the most efficient source of sugar, while in temperate climates you can't grow sugar cane, you can grow sugar beets

at one time, I planned to make my own fuel ethanol on a small scale, sugar beets will produce about 2500 gallons of ethanol / acre, my plan was to rejet my oil furnace, even went so far as getting my permit from BATF

then I determined that I would be better off with an oil crop, hemp seed oil ideally, convert all my vehicles to compression fired engines,
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
The corn that was once fed to cattle now has the ethanol removed from it, then is still feed to the cattle. Not as big of a loss as they would like you to think.Murf2
They are feeding that genetically altered shit to cows?
I thought that was not allowed.

It is a net loss. (NET LOSS) as far as environmental impact goes. Ethanol is one of the biggest frauds pulled on people in history. It has NO benefits. That’s right FUCKING ZERO. It should be stopped immediately as the negatives FAR out way any of the goody goody lies they are spouting about it.