User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Eaglebeak OP
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,834
Border Run, Australia.

The Border Run is an annual event where riders come from both sides of the continent to meet at the West Australian/South Australian border on the Nullabor Plain on the southern east / west main highway across Oz.

It’s just an opportunity to catch up with old mates, make a few new ones and sink a few beers.

Riders leave two or three days (and in one riders case 24 hours and 2500 kms) before to meet Saturday night at the roadhouse/Motel/Bar.

The Nullabor plain is a vast stretch of lonely road that has a fierce reputation with city dwelling, non travellers.

It’s roughly 1200 kms from one side to the other. At each end is a small town with limited services and between are roadhouses selling fuel, food (for want of a better word) bar facilities with VERY limited mechanical services.
The final section was only sealed in the late 1970’s.

If you break down, you fix it yourself.

My mate mark and I left Perth at 0530 hours on Friday for the ~1500 kms to the border.It’s mid winter over here and bloody cold. After yet another sunrise seen in by us while biking we finally got out into the more open grain belt east of Perth.

We were on a mission and I didn’t get the camera out all day.

After fuel stops and an unexpected long wait at a servo for a cooked breakfast, we finally finished the day at Balladonia Roadhouse. Mark had left Perth with a heavy cold and in deference to him we grabbed a motel room rather than camp up the road with a group of riders we knew.

950 kms for the day.

A cold night saw frost on the seats the next morning and we left for the final run of ~550 kms to the border.

Passing these guys can be fun.

Almost no wind and wide roads with well cleared scrub saw our speeds creep up and the day turned into a great ride.

Madura Pass

Roo shooter with a live round carelessly left on the side step.
“Why is the side of the vehicle that colour Mummy?”

Eucla Pass and only 13 kms to the Border.

Arriving early afternoon we were met by the sight of the usual battle wagons, veterans of countless outback tracks.

We had pre booked a room and after showering the meet and greet got down to the serious business of drinking.

Various reprobates holding “The Pudding”

(“The Pudding?” you ask. Well that’s another story, suffice to say it too has been crossing the country by motorcycle for many, many years. It’s now encased in resin to preserve its dignity)

A good night was had by all and Sunday morning saw a few early starters head out.

I wandered across the road where a few riders were camping in the scrub.

Claude brought the Velo instead of the Matchie this time.

Then Mark and I pushed off back home.

Late that day and 750 kms done we separated as Mark took the tar option and I elected to ride with a group of four other BM mounted riders on the 300 km dirt road between Norseman and Hyden.
After a quick stock up on alcohol we punted our way down the track, racing the light before setting up camp 50 kms into the dirt.

A great night yarning and morning found us packing dry tents and swags in clear skies.

This dirt section is an access road for some mines and apart from the last 40 kms nearer the town of Hyden is well maintained with some good campsites and scenic outlooks.

A quick stop for repairs to Geoff’s BM, loose top clamps.

Dave was riding this heavy beast with panache. 130,000 kms in two years.

Another at the Breakaways, where a small Hawk quietly sat and watched us.

We finally hit the sealed tar about 30 kms from Hyden and 5 minutes later the heavens opened up.

No more pics, just into the wets and onward. A quick stop in Brookton for coffees and farewells and then I raced off into the downpour for my home on the coastal edge of the city.

Geoff, Dave, Rob and Jim, big thanks for letting me team up with you all.
Good riders, great company.
See you on the road again.

Andrew Linton.

Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,486
Thumb

Good stuff Andrew

A few familliar faces amngst that lot. Good to see Vince out and about. Chris and his subtle braces, Henning and you even get a pic of a DR

Any KTM's?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,985
looks great !!!.

The Pudding
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89693
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Eaglebeak OP

KTM's Dave ?

Two only that I saw, HumanOne (Pete) and Dogsbody (Tony) came over from SA with their mate Chris(?) mounted on a KLR (red one)

Yeah, quite a few familar faces from the OCR, even if I didn't know everyone. I think I prefer Claudes Matchless to the Velo.

It just seems to have that certain something . . . I just can't quite put my finger on it. . . .Style ! Yeah, that's it. The Matchie just has style.

We had a fantastic days ride on, Saturday, no wind, good road. I heard the boys coming from the other way had some storms though.
Head wind was a killer going home. Nearer Hyden while still on the dirt and where it was a little loose we had some really strong gusts from the side, not much fun when the arse end of a 1150R gets kicked sideways.
Not too much fun for Dave on the big, big BM monster truck either.

Oh and apparently the Ducati I saw (one of the new "retro" clip on, single seat jobs) had come from Eucla. Female, works at the Met station. She waltzed through the bar area a few times but I guess we were all too old to bother . . .or too busy talking bikes and drinking

Andrew.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
GP62
Serial Rider

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Great pics & report

Hey Andrew, good to meet ya at the border (KLR). I pushed on an made it home at 9.45pm. Left Norseman at 2.30 and was tempted to camp at the breakaways but kept going. Now making plans for Tassie. See ya on the road!!
Graeme
GP62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Great pics and report Andrew.

Have been to one border run , doesn't seem that long ago 1992.........

Wow , where did that 15 years go.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
NickSkywave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Hold on......

I think I saw you guys ride into Wisemans ferry at about 11am last Sunday Morning? Am I right?

Great pics!
NickSkywave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #8
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
well done, looks like you had a great time
Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
aussiedav
... it's just a road

Oddometer: 1,777
Few of mine, was good to meet some of you. It was only my second BR. I was on a mission both ways so no pics for the trip, I have another crossing coming up to lots of time.

IBA#22575 - IBR in 2009
My Stuff - FarRiders
1400GTR Kawasaki
aussiedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,662
Thumb

Nice report and pics Andrew. Good to see Mark and the pudding again, even if it is only in pictures. I was on a plane coming back from Europe at the weekend so couldn't make it. But now I've seen the pics and think more about the Border Run it definitely looks like a job for a comfortable road bike if time is the issue. Mmmmmm.... adv bike, sidecar outfit, road bike!!!! where does it end???

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #11
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,843
[quote=Eaglebeak]KTM's Dave ?

>Two only that I saw, HumanOne (Pete) and Dogsbody (Tony) came over from SA with their mate Chris(?) mounted on a KLR (red one)
Yeah, quite a few familar faces from the OCR, even if I didn't know everyone. I think I prefer Claudes Matchless to the Velo.>

G/day Andrew

Thanks for the photo's and write up.

I left my camera on the kitchen bench, hence no photo's.

Did you noticed that the majority of attendees were riding BMW Airheads?

That is, BMW's built between 1970/1994, with the bulk being pre 1986, and still capable of covering bloody big distances.

I left the Border 8.30 am (EST) and hit Ceduna (490kms), at 12.15 pm

Back home Monday night at 9.45 pm

Cheers

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
aussiedav
... it's just a road

Oddometer: 1,777
Chris you must have had a good run, my logs tell me I left BV at 8:42am aest and fueled at Ceduna at 12:41am with only a photo stop of the sign (as I do west of Penong)

Did you run it straight of have a fuel stop ? I know Tom said he can run it straight.

btw I pulled into a motel at Broken hill that night at 9:10pm and left at 4:45am getting home at 10:30pm Monday. 6370k in 3days 22.5hrs :) which included the 20hrs or so at BR.

I think I am ready for a big one ;)
IBA#22575 - IBR in 2009
My Stuff - FarRiders
1400GTR Kawasaki
aussiedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Great report.
Nice to see some older bikes getting ridden and not hidden!

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
Eaglebeak OP

"Did you noticed that the majority of attendees were riding BMW Airheads?

That is, BMW's built between 1970/1994, with the bulk being pre 1986, and still capable of covering bloody big distances"

Yeah, wish I'd never sold my GS80. See ya next year !

Andrew.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,843
[quote=aussiedav]Chris you must have had a good run, my logs tell me I left BV at 8:42am aest and fueled at Ceduna at 12:41am with only a photo stop of the sign (as I do west of Penong)

Did you run it straight of have a fuel stop ? I know Tom said he can run it straight.

G/Day Dave

I had a great run, only surpassed by a run in the late 80's on a K100RS

I don't bother to keep a log, but I know that I hit Nullabour, refuelled and was back crusing within one hour 20 minutes after leaving Border Village.
The RT is red lined at 7100 rpm, I sat it on 6000 rpm the entire way to Ceduna, and caught up or passed most eastern bound riders by Ceduna.
Stoped at the BP station for fuel and food, rode with a couple of fellow BMW Vic members till Wudinna where I peeled off to catch up with some friends.

BTW On the K100RS, (I was with a mate on a K100RT) we covered BV to Clare, 1200 kms in 9 1/2 hrs, including stopping for lunch

Cheers

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote