Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #151
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Hmm, of course this is just my opinion so please disregard if it doesn't apply to you but the BMW cases are not really that great if you plan on taking your bike offroad. I think I only saw one set on a world tourer, a guy from Singapore was riding all the way across to Europe and we met him in Syria. Great guy and rider, but the bags were beat to hell and tied on with various stuff.
I agree, and respectfully, disagree...

(agree) As you mentioned later in your post, the limiting factor is always the mounting. If you bash the pelican/zega mounting, it's a set of bars that can be bent back. So you hit the nail on the head here - if you bash the system mounts, they are plastic, they will break off, and you're stuck with strapping it on.

(disagree... well not really, more of an observation) I think the new generation system cases must be wimpier. The old system cases on my 1150GS were rock solid. I took that bike further off road than some dirtbikes I had as a kid, and this was not an uncommon site:

On the subject of panniers, I actually asked about the system cases for the 800GS at the local dealer this weekend. From some reading/photos on the web, I had the impression they were the same cases used by the 12GS... makes sense, BMW have been good about redundancy. However, the dealer was quite certain the 800 cases were specific for it. Makes sense, the rear-ends are quite different with the rear fuel tank on the F.

Oh, and I scored a test ride on the 800GS while I was there. SWEET! I was really surprised by how quick it was. After all the rather wimpy 650's I've owned/ridden in the past, this is a big step up in power. Solid handling too, I was very impressed overall. Waiting list in Brisbane is back to mid December.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #152
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 416
Did you remap for 91 RON ?

My bike arrives in 2 weeks, I'm considering asking the dealer to remap for 91 octane (regular) gasoline. Many places I travel don't offer 95 octane (premium) fuel. I suppose some places you've travelled didn't either.

Did you have to remap for 91 RON ?

BTW, this is truly an inspirational thread. Thanks.

Best, Magile
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #153
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt

(agree) As you mentioned later in your post, the limiting factor is always the mounting. If you bash the pelican/zega mounting, it's a set of bars that can be bent back. So you hit the nail on the head here - if you bash the system mounts, they are plastic, they will break off, and you're stuck with strapping it on.

(disagree... well not really, more of an observation) I think the new generation system cases must be wimpier. The old system cases on my 1150GS were rock solid. I took that bike further off road than some dirtbikes I had as a kid, and this was not an uncommon site:

On the subject of panniers, I actually asked about the system cases for the 800GS at the local dealer this weekend. From some reading/photos on the web, I had the impression they were the same cases used by the 12GS... makes sense, BMW have been good about redundancy. However, the dealer was quite certain the 800 cases were specific for it. Makes sense, the rear-ends are quite different with the rear fuel tank on the F.

Oh, and I scored a test ride on the 800GS while I was there. SWEET! I was really surprised by how quick it was. After all the rather wimpy 650's I've owned/ridden in the past, this is a big step up in power. Solid handling too, I was very impressed overall. Waiting list in Brisbane is back to mid December.
Your observation is correct. I had a simple tip-over on my R1200GS with a set of Vario cases on it -- right bag was totally bustificated. Dented and dinged to shit, wouldn't open or close right. Had to replace it. While the varios for the F800 are bike specific, it's basically the same setup.

The old system cases though were quite a bit tougher. Had a set on my R1100RS...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #154
Javanino
It's My Island!

Oddometer: 4
Fantastic Thread

I'm sold on the bike however I'm wondering where the thread is regarding the pitfalls of traveling through S. America. I've heard the horror stories regarding the human element (kidnappers, federales) of central and S. American travel. I've ridden from Texas to Guatemala and Belize and found the warnings beforehand were just hype created by a bunch of xenophobes.

I'm new to the forum so perhaps this info is posted somewhere and I've just overlooked it.
Javanino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #155
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javanino
I'm sold on the bike however I'm wondering where the thread is regarding the pitfalls of traveling through S. America. I've heard the horror stories regarding the human element (kidnappers, federales) of central and S. American travel. I've ridden from Texas to Guatemala and Belize and found the warnings beforehand were just hype created by a bunch of xenophobes.

I'm new to the forum so perhaps this info is posted somewhere and I've just overlooked it.

Hey Javanino,

In regards to some of the risks of travelling through SA and CA, you can try under trip planning where there are a wide range of topics that overlap some of what you are looking for. If you don't find what you need, it is a good question to post. In addition, you can take a look at the Horizons Unlimited site which has a lot of experienced riders.

Travel out of country is a lot like the posted speed limits on highway corners. You ride through them and wonder what the heck all the fuss was about. 99 times out of 100 you are right, and then the one time out of 100 you come around the corner and realize that the warning was spot on.

Most of the travel warnings are meant for the average person off the street. The typical motorcycle traveller is pretty aware and fairly street savvy so a lot of it seems a bit overdone. It's not a bad thing, having high expectations of danger and being relieved is better than the other way around. You may find that the biggest challenge is to not let your guard down over the long run, it's pretty easy to become complacent and then you get to kick yourself if something happens because you know better.

The actual hazards are usually crazy drivers (eg. Colombia), unmarked road hazards, and then typical big city crime you'd find in almost all the capital cities.

Enjoy the trip!
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #156
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt

Hey Doc,

Great pic, now that's what product testing should look like:) The cases look quite sturdy indeed and you certainly giving them a workout.

As you mention it's the damn mounting system which becomes the weak link. That is typically one of the big reasons why the overlanders have migrated to the aluminum cases, for the fact that if and when they break, there are potential metal solutions (riveting, welding, bolting, etc.) that you can do to fix it and in pretty much every country in the world there is some quasi metal fabricator, panel beater, etc. who can at least keep you going until the next major city. With the plastic cases, fixing things becomes more of a hassle.

And they pretty much all do break at some point. The vibration, bumps and knocks all conspire to work something loose and then once one component gets weak, it overloads the others and if you aren't watching it the whole system can fail.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #157
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alan
Your observation is correct. I had a simple tip-over on my R1200GS with a set of Vario cases on it -- right bag was totally bustificated. Dented and dinged to shit, wouldn't open or close right. Had to replace it. While the varios for the F800 are bike specific, it's basically the same setup.

The old system cases though were quite a bit tougher. Had a set on my R1100RS...

Hey Rob,

I took a quick look at the Vario cases on a 650 on the weekend and they are specific for the 650/800. Nice looking and pretty functional as they attach easily and expand when you need them to. They would seem to be a good solution for the 650 and it's main use as a highway rider.

To me, they look a little of out character for the 800 and it's versatility as an on road and off road bike. Kinda like buying a set of mag wheels for your 4X4 pickup. Looks nice but if you aren't going to drive the thing offroad wouldn't you be better off with a highway model that gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable etc?

But hey, there a million SUVs out there that have never seen a piece of gravel in their lives so it wouldn't surprise me if there will be a lot of these bikes that will be purchased purely because the owner "might" take it offroad. There is nothing wrong with that at all, I'm sure everyone's basement is filled with something that just might get used in their future Antarctic expedition. We all need to dream about something. As long as we are concious about the bike we are buying and it's set up, then we can make sure that it's intended use and it's actual use are as close as our busy lives allow.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #158
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile
My bike arrives in 2 weeks, I'm considering asking the dealer to remap for 91 octane (regular) gasoline. Many places I travel don't offer 95 octane (premium) fuel. I suppose some places you've travelled didn't either.

Did you have to remap for 91 RON ?

BTW, this is truly an inspirational thread. Thanks.

Best, Magile
Hey Magile,

I may have mentioned, but I haven't re-mapped for 91 yet, but intend on doing so. I would have before I left, but they weren't sure how to do it at the time. I did run some fuel less than 95 down in SA, but the performance wasn't affected significantly. Enjoy the new wheels!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #159
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Thank you very much, RTW!

I checked the Caribou/Pelican website but they do not yet offer cases for F800GS. What size are yours? 35L or larger?
I am thinking about a trip to Vladivostok next season/ or in reverse Vlad-k to Moscow/ and consider softbags #1 so far. But Pelican and MM interested me too.
Looked through your pix once again but failed to find what helmet are you rinding in. Is it enduro/MX with googles or a flip-up?
TIA

Hey Easyman,

I think someone mentioned that caribou will have the set up in a month or so now that he has a bike to use for set up.

I have the 1550's which I think are 30L, but they may actually be 35L. If I bought them again, I would go for the larger ones as the 1550's are just a bit narrow to really get much that much gear in them when you are side loading. They work fine, but there is a bit of a push-close-push when you close the side lid.

You're route will be a blast. Either way you go, you should visit Mongolia. An amazing place and they have the big festival in early July. A good time to target. You'll need a dual entry visa into Russia, takes a bit longer but it will allow you to pop into Mongolia and back out again.

I actually rode with a closed face Shoei. There were quite a few guys that rode with beaks, either goggled or visored. They look cool and are better offroad, but they can be loud and there is so much long highway riding that I preferred the full face. Some swear by them though. If I did it again, I would probably go for a full face, but would also consider a flip up like Schubert. A Canadian couple had them and swore by them. Flipping open your helmet to chat with locals is a great way to break down the barriers between you and them.

Cheers.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #160
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 153
Roger at Caribou should have the promised F8GS in his shop to design brackets within two weeks (based on when the dealer said that bike should come in). Roger estimates first retail shipments 60 to 90 days after the bike is in his shop.
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #161
hungrosity
Oh! So I'm the Ass

Oddometer: 13
Crash bar debate?

Talked to my friendly BMW salesman today and the F800GS that I ordered should be in the store in the next couple of weeks. VERY EXCITED!!!!

Wish I had found this thread earlier as it has a ton of information and yes, please put me on the list of people that greatly appreciate it RTW.

About me: N00B to dual sporting. Used to throw around some dirt bikes as a kid and used to have a big 1600 Hardley (Yamaha Roadstar). Dual sporting has taken off in my circle of friends and we have all been having a blast. Nothing too crazy, fire roads, some back country, and I hope to do some mild singletrack.

The wife is getting frustrated with me as I have already bought some accessories for the bike, even though bike is still forthcoming, and have insisted that I lay them out in a bike shape in the garage as a semi-altar for above stated forthcoming bike :) Did I mention I was a Noob

I have a couple questions:

1) I purchased the engine guard and extension from TT along with an oil filter guard and rad guard. Just from pics it seemed as though these were relatively exposed and wanted protection right away. I have noticed that the engine guard on your bike seems much larger and seems to wrap around the engine high enough to shield the oil filter. Where did you find it or did you make it?

2) You have mentioned that crash bars are a necessity but had yet to find any beefy enough to protect all the right parts. Is that still the case or do you have any recommendation? Or does anybody for that matter?

Thanks again for all your time spent on this and I thank all of you in advance for your replies.

H
hungrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #162
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
Thumb Crash bars...

H:

Here's the best crash bar review I've seen:

http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=30

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #163
Lucky Jack
Amateur Barbarian

Oddometer: 26
RTW,

Thanks for all the feedback and useful info you have shared on your experience with the 800. I hate to be a cynic but in the interest of full disclosure can you confirm that you have no sort of sponsorship/employment relationship with BMW?
thanks again
Lucky Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #164
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
H:

Here's the best crash bar review I've seen:

http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=30

Jim
excellent link!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #165
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,283
TEst drive of GS800

Test drove the Gs 800 today.
unless you look over your knees, it looks like a detuned 1200 GS.
The position was quite cramped with the low seat (I'm 6'3 though) and the dashboard is low, just as on a 1200 GS.
Of course it's lighter, but noise, reluctance to get up to revs, backfiring at roll-off, everything is so similar.
It was a quite short run (less than 20 miles), but I found it far less peppy than my KTM 950 S and far less entertaining.
In order to keep up with fast traffic you have to be well over 6500rpm, with the 950 you generally don't need to go past 5000rpm, torque-wise, it''s quite weak, it's a machine that needs to be whipped up and so enine noise is generally more prevalent than wind noise.
If I could have a jetting getting my 950 around 45 mpg., I guarantee you I would be a happy man, but no thanks, I'm not getting a BMW GS.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote