Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #166
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
I'm not getting a BMW GS.
Imagine our collective relief.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #167
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks

Rob in Seattle
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #168
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
In order to keep up with fast traffic you have to be well over 6500rpm.
Everyone's entitled to their own subjective opinions, how boring if we all rode the same bike? But, either you have some crazy fast traffic, or your idea of "keeping up" is more like blasting past on 1-wheel. I found the power more than perky enough to zip me past all sorts of Brisbane city traffic (include the higher speed city bypass loop) without really wringing its neck.

I guess we all have our own riding style too.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #169
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
6500 rpm means around 160-180 km/h. Are talking about highways to keep up with traffic? Is it better idea to buy something more appropriate for that style of riding? Like K1200GT or FJR1300 of ST1300?
easyman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 AM   #170
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #171
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Very nice...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #172
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
ADV Panniers on F800GS

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone fitted the Aluminium Adventure Panniers(seen on the 12GSA) on their F800GS?
Does BMW fit it as an option if the buyer wants them? An OEM rack for these panniers?

The closest rack i've come across that fits the ADV ALU panniers is by Holan but the rack's width is a little too wide! too much space between the rack and tailboard area. Any one has any info?

many thanks!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #173
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Latest Word from FRED at Throttlemeister

The reply I got back from my request as to when TM's would be available for the F8GS...

"Hopefully before the end of riding season. I'm in the process of working on something now."

There you have it!

Rick
Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #174
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Guy,

just want to ask if you peeps foresee any problems with the mounting of the rectifier on the right side of the F800GS just above the brake lever?

will it withstand harsh conditions like heavy rain, jet spray during wash...?
thanks!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #175
Boston12GS
Banned

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
I hadn't used them before, but I got some Aerostich tank panniers from a kind hearted adv'er and I am a converted man. . . . The challenge is what to fit in these things that uses the space, weighs enough that it makes it worth it, and yet you aren't worried about it getting pinched or damaged in a crash.
I wouldn't consider long-distance touring without my Aerostitch panniers. I keep my tools in them, using Pelican-type cases to keep the tools dry. Really makes a difference on the GS/GSA in keeping the front wheel down when you've got a lot of stuff packed on the rear. TIP: It sometimes works better if you "criss-cross" the connecting straps of the panniers, rather than leave them in a parallel configuration. Also, the "bungee cords" that come with the panniers are easily worn out, prepare to replace them with heavy duty bungees.
Boston12GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #176
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston12GS
I wouldn't consider long-distance touring without my Aerostitch panniers. I keep my tools in them, using Pelican-type cases to keep the tools dry. Really makes a difference on the GS/GSA in keeping the front wheel down when you've got a lot of stuff packed on the rear. TIP: It sometimes works better if you "criss-cross" the connecting straps of the panniers, rather than leave them in a parallel configuration. Also, the "bungee cords" that come with the panniers are easily worn out, prepare to replace them with heavy duty bungees.

Great input on the panniers. I had seen them around before but hadn't come across that many comments such as yours so was a bit in the dark about it. Keep on spreading the word, you've obviously got a lot of experience with them so hopefully more people try them to see if they work for their style of riding. I'll try the mini Pelicans, thanks for the suggestions.
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #177
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 153
RTW,

Any chance you could post some close up pictures of your crash bars, what is good or bad about them, how they are mounted, and suggestions to make them better?

Boston12GS,

Thanks for the tips on the tank paniers. I actually ordered the Aerostitch tank paniers yesterday evening...
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #178
Javanino
It's My Island!

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Hey Javanino,

In regards to some of the risks of travelling through SA and CA, you can try under trip planning where there are a wide range of topics that overlap some of what you are looking for. If you don't find what you need, it is a good question to post. In addition, you can take a look at the Horizons Unlimited site which has a lot of experienced riders.

Travel out of country is a lot like the posted speed limits on highway corners. You ride through them and wonder what the heck all the fuss was about. 99 times out of 100 you are right, and then the one time out of 100 you come around the corner and realize that the warning was spot on.

Most of the travel warnings are meant for the average person off the street. The typical motorcycle traveller is pretty aware and fairly street savvy so a lot of it seems a bit overdone. It's not a bad thing, having high expectations of danger and being relieved is better than the other way around. You may find that the biggest challenge is to not let your guard down over the long run, it's pretty easy to become complacent and then you get to kick yourself if something happens because you know better.

The actual hazards are usually crazy drivers (eg. Colombia), unmarked road hazards, and then typical big city crime you'd find in almost all the capital cities.

Enjoy the trip!
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the sources you mention. Sounds like the only downside to the trip is answering all the questions when you return
Javanino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #179
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
On the list for panniers ...

After reading everyone's excellent posts on cases I've sent Al Jesse an email to put me on the list for his. RTW, your points are well taken and I'm in complete agreement on the need for strong panniers. Al's kept my leg safe in a low-side crash in the Yukon a couple of years ago and I'm still using them. I did suffer a broken rib but Jesse's right case and BMW crashbar took the blow sparing my leg. They did the job. BTW, Hepco Becker makes very good crash bars for the 1150, better than BMW's and probably my choice for my 800GS ... when I get it next week.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #180
mechnoman
wrenchn

Oddometer: 187
800gs

On tour in Cape Breton....rider is from Germany. She updated the seat and added a few things.
mechnoman is offline   Reply With Quote