Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #196
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
How is maintenance on the road?

Howdy rtw,
I have a couple of KTM's - love to ride on them and absolutely hate working on them. KTM appears to have put absolutely no thought into making them easy to work on. As an example, for my 640, to perform maintenance I'd expect to do on a long trip, I need the following socket/wrench sizes:
8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 27mm. Some I need in both wrench and socket, some just one of the other. Not to mention two oil filters.

So how is on-the-side-of-the-road maintenance? Mainly, air filter access, oil changes, chain adjustment, and valve adjustments.

I have some serious lust right now for a KTM 950 SE but dread the thought of working on it.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #197
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Howdy rtw,
As an example, for my 640, to perform maintenance I'd expect to do on a long trip, I need the following socket/wrench sizes:
8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 27mm. Some I need in both wrench and socket, some just one of the other. Not to mention two oil filters.
two oil f..... wow it really shocked me...
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #198
Gnarly Adventurer

Is there anybody less than 6" let say 5" - How do you feel on so tall bikes in a city commuting?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #199
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Moved the pricing debate to its own thread. Agreed that we should try to keep this most excellent thread on-topic for RTW.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #200
R6 Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I'm going to be boring and predictable....Cheers RTW for the comments, you really should be working for BMW. I'm still undecided on whether to but a KTM990 or the 800 GS.

You have just swung the meter towards the Beamer (considerably)...I did read a thread on here previous to this but it just seemed to be KTM owner slagging off the 800- Not what I'm all about to be honest, I just want a good adventure bike to ride that suits my needs and I'm currently 80/20 in favour of the Beamer after trhis and visiting dealers in the UK (KTM in Yorkshire didn't seemed arsed with my money which really miffed me off- they had a year old 1200 GS in the showroom and just kept slating that rather then selling me the KTM product)

Anyway thanks again matey,

Andy :)
R6 Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #201
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Like I've said on a previous site the only way to really make your mind up is to take both bikes out and see which one suits you the best.

Take 'em on the motorway, dual carraigeway, A roads and a bit of green laning See which one "floats yer boat" the most.

In all honesty that's the only true way. Which ever one you go for I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

One last thing I'll say regarding the knob at the KTM dealers is don't let that put you off! I've given this some serious thought and I've contemplated ringing the guy up and telling him that he may have lost a sale due to his lack of enthusiasm and knowledge??

He told me that the KTM 950 I bought had had the seat remoulded so it was lower.

I found out that this wasn't the case and it has a gel seat which was fitted to the later models.

LET THE RIDE DECIDE
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #202
v8turbo
When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6 Andy
I'm going to be boring and predictable....Cheers RTW for the comments, you really should be working for BMW. I'm still undecided on whether to but a KTM990 or the 800 GS.

You have just swung the meter towards the Beamer (considerably)...I did read a thread on here previous to this but it just seemed to be KTM owner slagging off the 800- Not what I'm all about to be honest, I just want a good adventure bike to ride that suits my needs and I'm currently 80/20 in favour of the Beamer after trhis and visiting dealers in the UK (KTM in Yorkshire didn't seemed arsed with my money which really miffed me off- they had a year old 1200 GS in the showroom and just kept slating that rather then selling me the KTM product)

Anyway thanks again matey,

Andy :)

This is easy.

KTM if you want aggressive. BMW if you want less. BMW is Waaay more expensive for Service. KTM's are quirky, BMW is not.

BMW is solid, but you pay for that. The FI, ABS, and ability to ride cross country are great.

However... Blasting down the trail on a dialed in KTM kicks the BMW ass every time.

I have and have had many models from both brands and those are my thoughts.
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #203
R6 Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee
Like I've said on a previous site the only way to really make your mind up is to take both bikes out and see which one suits you the best.

Take 'em on the motorway, dual carraigeway, A roads and a bit of green laning See which one "floats yer boat" the most.

In all honesty that's the only true way. Which ever one you go for I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

One last thing I'll say regarding the knob at the KTM dealers is don't let that put you off! I've given this some serious thought and I've contemplated ringing the guy up and telling him that he may have lost a sale due to his lack of enthusiasm and knowledge??

He told me that the KTM 950 I bought had had the seat remoulded so it was lower.

I found out that this wasn't the case and it has a gel seat which was fitted to the later models.

LET THE RIDE DECIDE
Cheers Gav,

I think I forgot to Mention Andrea has a say too a big one
R6 Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #204
monsterscout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question Battery issues

First post here. I have an '01 650GS and my 800GS should be here sometime next week. There are a few questions I have about the 800 that I have not seen covered in this thread so far.
1) is the battery vented or sealed? shortly after getting my 650 while it was on it's side, acid leaked out and scarred up the side of the engine...kindof thought that was a pretty big oversight on BMW's part for a dual-sport bike
2)How's the headlight? (low/high beam)
3)I've looked at some pictures of the crash bars and was wondering if they need to be taken off to get the side panels off. I know there are a few different types out there but some of the more protective ones look like they might be in the way.

Thanks for all the info provided so far.
monsterscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #205
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterscout
First post here. I have an '01 650GS and my 800GS should be here sometime next week. There are a few questions I have about the 800 that I have not seen covered in this thread so far.
1) is the battery vented or sealed? shortly after getting my 650 while it was on it's side, acid leaked out and scarred up the side of the engine...kindof thought that was a pretty big oversight on BMW's part for a dual-sport bike
2)How's the headlight? (low/high beam)
3)I've looked at some pictures of the crash bars and was wondering if they need to be taken off to get the side panels off. I know there are a few different types out there but some of the more protective ones look like they might be in the way.

Thanks for all the info provided so far.
Bettery is a sealed AGM (no more checking the levels ). I find the headlight to be good, and better than the F650. Nice wide beam on the lows, so nice that the brights don't add a ton of light.

Don't have bars yet so can't help there.
Slappy McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #206
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterscout
First post here. I have an '01 650GS and my 800GS should be here sometime next week.
I think i should be a huge difference
Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #207
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Hey RTW,

Chatted with you a little while back at Valk. I have been kitting out my new f650GS and you gave me some advice about tires. Granted my aspirations for adventure are lesser, although i'm planning on doing the Cali coast next year and don't want to shy away from heading up a mountain road...

The bashguard... i think i saw on one of the threads that you manufactured it?? (I could be wrong). If you do, how much do you charge and how do i contact you.

Also, on the note of seats... just got back from Rich's Custom Seats last weekend and have my new custom saddle. Holy Crap! it rocks!. and looks great too. A few bucks but well worth the money already.
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #208
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Hey RTW,

Also, on the note of seats... just got back from Rich's Custom Seats last weekend and have my new custom saddle. Holy Crap! it rocks!. and looks great too. A few bucks but well worth the money already.
Can you post a picture of the seat?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #209
jeffva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
All great info!

RTW - Thank you *(and others) for the detailed info started here. I actually read through all pages the other night and still dreaming of my next bike. Currently have an '01 GS and would like to take an 800 out when shop actual has one long enough for demo bike. I took one of the 1200 gs's out a while ago and did not fit me the same...was thinking of maybe stepping up to a GSA but if I fit on one of these 800's (6'3") it sure looks / sounds like a fun bike.

Thanks again for all the info

Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #210
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Custom Seat

Hey Lucky,

Here's the seat... i had it leather covered which was an extra $100 or so.

total was about $800 us

I know.... pricey but i consider it a long term investment.

Oh... one more note on the seat. on the areas where your butt hits the seat, Rich hollows out his custom foam shape and inserts a Gel pack (rider and passenger) It helps tons with vibration and is the equivelant of 3" of foam. It's a process that took the whole day. Which coincidentally had me riding back from Seattle to Vancouver in the dark and in pouring rain! Which also made me realize i need a new jacket... have heard great things about the Teknic Freeway.

cheers,
McD
Attached Images

markymcd screwed with this post 09-27-2008 at 07:42 PM
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote