Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #211
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
I test rode an 800GS at BMW of Atlanta today. If I didn't already have a 1200GS I'd buy an 800. I like that bike!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #212
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Hey Lucky,

Here's the seat... i had it leather covered which was an extra $100 or so.

total was about $800 us

I know.... pricey but i consider it a long term investment.

Oh... one more note on the seat. on the areas where your butt hits the seat, Rich hollows out his custom foam shape and inserts a Gel pack (rider and passenger) It helps tons with vibration and is the equivelant of 3" of foam. It's a process that took the whole day. Which coincidentally had me riding back from Seattle to Vancouver in the dark and in pouring rain! Which also made me realize i need a new jacket... have heard great things about the Teknic Freeway.

cheers,
McD
Wow, looks so comfy!
Is it more higher than stock?

What if rain, does water pool in the seat?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #213
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I originally ordered the lower seat. When the custom seat was done, Rich wanted to maintain the original purpose of why I purchased the lower seat and still make it as comfy as it could be for a long haul. With the way he shaped it, it's actually WAAYYYYY better as far as moving my legs from pegs to ground and back and I actually feel like I can touch the ground even better (direct answer... no, the seat is not higher). All the while giving me a 800% better seat. The feel of the leather is great too.

As far as pooling water... I have only had the seat for 2 weeks now and the only rain I hit was the ride back to Vancouver. But that being said, it was a considerable amount of water that I encountered. I would imagine that if the bike was parked in the rain it would collect a little puddle but I'm not concerned about that. Long term the leather is much better because any moisture that would get into the seat (foam) will be able to get out through the breathability of the leather. Vinyl will not. Plus leather feels better. Just some regular care with Lexol could be all you need.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #214
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Howdy rtw,
I have a couple of KTM's - love to ride on them and absolutely hate working on them.
A KTM rider of my acquaintance calls his KTM "The Austrian Hooker", because it's high maintenance, always seems to have its hand out for another hundred bucks, and always demanding attention .
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #215
BoniYam
yamaha tenere 2008 owner

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Even an 800 is a bit of overkill for many, many regions
first of all, this is definitely one off the best threads i ever read! So realistic, grounded and light at the same time.
I have been reading this all night. Thank you so much.

I have a question for you. Say you would have done the same trip on a(IMO ugly) one cylinder Yamaha Tenere 2008-XT660Z instead of a (IMO beautifull) bmw F800GS, what would you have missed most?

Sorry if this is a strange question, but i have a V-strom 1000 and had my first adventurous trip on it last year when i traveled 5 weeks in scandinavia & the baltic states. It was a 11.000 km trip. http://web.me.com/bonifacius/Site/No...verview.html#0
Looking every evening for a place near a lake to set up our tent was a big part of the fun. But it's there that i concluded that i wanted a lighter bike. My friend was on a honda transalp and was much more flexible in the forrest roads. http://web.me.com/bonifacius/Site/No...erview.html#37

So now i can't make up my mind. Shall i buy a tenere 2008 or a GS800?
Its a choice between the ugly and the beauty to me, but the yamaha is much cheaper, has a 6 liter bigger fuell tank, and will also be able to bring me wherever i want. And last but not least, with a little modifying i will be able to reuse my expensive jessecases on it. They difinitly don't fit on the F800GS due it's lower position of the exhaust. But i am afraid to miss the power, the ABS and the beauty of the F800GS.
My next planned adventure trips are from Belgium (close to england :-) to India, to Morroco and middle afrika.

BoniYam screwed with this post 09-28-2008 at 07:54 PM
BoniYam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #216
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonistrom
I have a question for you. Say you would have done the same trip on a(IMO ugly) one cylinder Yamaha Tenere 2008-XT660Z instead of this (IMO beautifull) bmw GS800n what would you have missed most?
So now i can't make up my mind. Shall i choose a tenere 2008 or a GS800?
My next planned adventure trips are from Belgium (close to england :-) to India, to Morroco and middle afrika.
That new Yammy looks pretty sweet, solves one of the biggest issues with the old version (the exhaust that was in a vulnerable position). I'm wonder, though, for your trip is there something carbureted available to you? I understand that emissions standards are higher over there, but the deal is that if you get enough dirt into the fuel tank of a fuel-injected motorcycle, Bad Things Happen. That's because of the high-pressure fuel pump needed for fuel injection, which sits in the fuel tank with the fuel filter atop it, which generally burns out if you manage to clog it up with enough bad gas. Something like my KLR is easy to recover from bad gas -- just drain the float bowl, clean out the in-line filter by reverse-flushing it with gas from the gas tank (assuming you've bypassed the vacuum shut-off as I have to make this easy), and if all else fails you can take off the petcock and clean the filter screens (two screws, don't loose the O-ring!). Nothing burns out or anything.

Anyhow, reason I say this is because one problem that BMW riders have often had when riding Baja (Mexico) is that a "fuel station" there often is a 12 year old boy with a bunch of rusty old fuel cans as big as he is, and even dumping the fuel in with a filter screen funnel you can get some smaller chunks in there. Not a problem with my old carbureted KLR, which is wheezy and asthmatic but bullet-proof -- the "fuel pump" is gravity, which doesn't burn out . I won't take my (fuel-injected) V-strom down there, after hearing all the reports of Beemers that have been stranded there for days waiting for a new fuel pump after the last one burned out. It seems to me that you are wanting to ride through countries about as advanced as Baja Mexico, and that's why I mention this, folks have done it without burning out their fuel pump but it's just one more thing to consider.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #217
BoniYam
yamaha tenere 2008 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreen
I'm wonder, though, for your trip is there something carbureted available to you? I understand that emissions standards are higher over there, but the deal is that if you get enough dirt into the fuel tank of a fuel-injected motorcycle, Bad Things Happen.
You got a point there. I have to be careful for that. The F800GS and the yamaha 2008 are both fuel-injected. The BMW F650GS dakar, which is used a lot by around the world travelers, as well.
So i'll take the risk.
Have been hanging around in india for three & four months renting local 150cc bikes from time to time, had a lot of fun. Driving on the countryside, no fuel stations were around. Gas sold in plastic drinking bottles were most of the time available but were not recommended off-course. That's why i would feel saver with a bigger fuel-tank. When clean fuel is available, filling everything up.
That's the only thing IMO which is not perfect, looking at the F800GS. His rather small fuel tank.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #218
BoniYam
yamaha tenere 2008 owner

@elgreen, i realize now that your answer would be: 'i miss a carburetor on both, yamaha and BMW bikes. Interesting and surely to be aware of checking the fuel quality in poor (parts of) country's.
But still leaves my question unanswered. What would one be missing most driving a 2008 tenere on a worldtour compared tot a F800GS?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #219
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
Just my opinion but.
For world travel I would go with either the Suzuki DR650 or the Kawasaki KLR 650.
But the F800 GS looks the best and will be my next bike.

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #220
jeffva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
From R1150gs to F800gs?

Anyone have any specific feedback or step down from an 1150 to the 800? I realize that the reduced weight will effect road stability, just as it will increase off raod stability...I'm thinking that if only doing one or two extended trips that require slab riding and the rest of the time on back roads, dirt / gravel roads, and commuting, the lighter 800 would make for a fine trade?

I've got to get a test ride on one of these!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #221
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffva
Anyone have any specific feedback or step down from an 1150 to the 800?
The biggest step down is in alternator capacity. The 800 has a 400 watt alternator, while the 1150 has a 700 watt alternator. If you currently have a pair of driving lights and a full set of electrics from head to toe, you likely will need to ditch not only your driving lights but perhaps some of your electric gear on the 800. Those extra 300 watts come in handy when it's cold outside...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #222
jeffva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
The biggest step down is in alternator capacity. The 800 has a 400 watt alternator, while the 1150 has a 700 watt alternator. If you currently have a pair of driving lights and a full set of electrics from head to toe, you likely will need to ditch not only your driving lights but perhaps some of your electric gear on the 800. Those extra 300 watts come in handy when it's cold outside...
Hmmm, no aux lights (but would like to)...just heated vest, grips, autocom, and gps running.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #223
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Although this is not a direct comparison, I ride a Wing (GL1800A) and an F650GSLA. For me, moving between the bikes is effortless. The Wing is great for LD pavement touring and twisty road carving. I really like having the F to be able to leave the pavement whenever I want. I just did 777 miles last weekend on the F with about 30% on the non-pavement. I suspect the F800 would be a similar experience. All that being said, I'd ride pretty much any distance on either of my bikes.

Having seen an F800 up close, for my money, it will take a bit of farkling to make it off pavement worthy. I'm sticking with my '03 F650 for now as it truly does all I ask of it and is already farkled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffva
Anyone have any specific feedback or step down from an 1150 to the 800? I realize that the reduced weight will effect road stability, just as it will increase off raod stability...I'm thinking that if only doing one or two extended trips that require slab riding and the rest of the time on back roads, dirt / gravel roads, and commuting, the lighter 800 would make for a fine trade?

I've got to get a test ride on one of these!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #224
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
A KTM rider of my acquaintance calls his KTM "The Austrian Hooker", because it's high maintenance, always seems to have its hand out for another hundred bucks, and always demanding attention .
But I bet she always puts a smile on his face.

So is the 800 the smile inducing German version of "The Austrian Hooker" or is it the good dependable house frau??
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #225
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
But I bet she always puts a smile on his face.
Oh yeah, his Austrian hooker puts a *big* grin on his face every time he takes her out in the woods. KTM bikes are no nonsense ultra fun. Until you start having to maintain the thing. And wait on parts. And bust knuckles servicing the thing. That's when the "demands constant attention and always hand out for more money" thing gets irritating. But he puts up with it because his Austrian hooker is way fun, a lot more fun than his old KLR was once you leave pavement (let's face it, the KLR can leave pavement, but it's really not very happy about doing anything too strenous out there, and will make you work your tail off).

No word yet on whether the 800GS will be a German hooker or a reliable (if unexciting) hausfrau. The engine isn't exactly the same as on the other 800cc BMW twins (the cylinders are more upright than on the others), and there just isn't much history to go on yet. So I'm going to wait a few years and find out. Until then, I have all the bikes I need...