User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #226
BoniYam
yamaha tenere 2008 owner

Oddometer: 23
wow!
the most beautifull carrriers for the BMW F650 - F800GS are available!!!
http://www.jesseluggage.com/f650-800.html
BoniYam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #227
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Thanks RTW for this most excellent thread.
Actually, no...you suck!
I had my mind made up for a KTM 950 or 990....
Now, I'm undecided again.... KTM or GS800?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #228
sgopher185
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.
Thanks RTW for this most excellent thread.
Actually, no...you suck!
I had my mind made up for a KTM 950 or 990....
Now, I'm undecided again.... KTM or GS800?
You can't go wrong with either bike IMHO. Both are great bikes. Ride them both and pick the one that fits what you want to do. The 950 put a grin on my face every time I got off. The 800 does just the same.

The 800 feels smaller and lighter. The 950 has more power throughout the rev range but it is more noticable higher in the rev range. The 800 gets better mileage. The 950 has better suspension. The 950 is taller (and more still if you get the S). All of these are trade-offs really. I REALLY liked my 950 S Go!!!! (the best 950 IMHO ) and I reluctantly sold it in order to buy 2 smaller bikes so that I could ride with my son.

This fall I had the chance to buy a new bike and decided to try the 800. So far I really like it alot with some of the differences I noticed listed above.

You won't be disappointed with either machine. Just do normal maintenance and you should be fine.
2004 TTR125 (son's bike)
Past Rides:
2004 950 S GO!!!! (Incredible bike that I really miss)
1995 VFR 750 (love the v-4 sound !)
1987 Hurricane 1000
1988 Hurricane 600
1985 VF500F
sgopher185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #229
tumbleweed695
tumbleweed695

Oddometer: 49
Thanks RTW for all the great info.You Sir are the man. Im on a 05 GS but ready for something new.So ether the 800gs or ktm990.Im so confused
tumbleweed695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #230
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Question Space for ice studs???

I'm still waiting for my 800GS to arrive, and am dying to know if there is sufficient room for ice studs on the unit, (of particular concern is the rear, as it was very limited on my old R100GS).

Anyone out there care to take a look? An easy method is to stick your fingers between the tire and the swing arm both to the side of the tread, and in front of the tire, between the tire and the swingarm. If your fingers fit, studs will fit...

justantherider
Old 10-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #231
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgopher185
You can't go wrong with either bike IMHO. Both are great bikes. Ride them both and pick the one that fits what you want to do. The 950 put a grin on my face every time I got off. The 800 does just the same.

The 800 feels smaller and lighter. The 950 has more power throughout the rev range but it is more noticable higher in the rev range. The 800 gets better mileage. The 950 has better suspension. The 950 is taller (and more still if you get the S). All of these are trade-offs really. I REALLY liked my 950 S Go!!!! (the best 950 IMHO ) and I reluctantly sold it in order to buy 2 smaller bikes so that I could ride with my son.

This fall I had the chance to buy a new bike and decided to try the 800. So far I really like it alot with some of the differences I noticed listed above.

You won't be disappointed with either machine. Just do normal maintenance and you should be fine.
Thanks sgopher185 ! That's very useful coming from somebody who has owned the 950.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #232
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Suspension?

RTW I have a question for you: what do you think about the stock suspension? Can it hold it's own? or an after market upgrade is a top priority? (like it is on the F650GS Single/Dakar).
Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 AM   #233
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.
RTW I have a question for you: what do you think about the stock suspension? Can it hold it's own? or an after market upgrade is a top priority? (like it is on the F650GS Single/Dakar).
Hey SS,

Sorry for the late reply, been hanging out in Australia so haven't been around to read many posts.

I found the stock suspension fine for long distance dual sport riding. I was carrying a fair bit of weight and didn't find the stock suspension suffered too much at all. The BMW rear shocks on the 1200 have carried a rough reputation for durability for a fair while and was a bit of a weak spot on that bike but early indications seem that they have gone out of their way to address that problem on this bike. Only time will really tell though as there are not too many 800s yet with a lot of miles.

As a general comment, a solution that a lot of people use to address rear shock performance issues (eg. on the 1200) is to replace it with an aftermarket (Ohlins, etc.). There are a few aftermarket shocks that fail anyways on the really rough roads (example - northern Kenya) so I took the cheap guy route on the bike that I rode in Africa and rode the stock shock to death and replaced it with another stock shock that I had bought for something like $100.00. There are a lot of these sitting around in garages as a lot of people like to replace with aftermarket stuff right away so you can get them fairly easily and pretty cheap. You will have the stock shock performance characteristics, but if you are happy with it then it's a good way to eliminate your worries over the durability issue. Cheers.
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #234
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherider
I'm still waiting for my 800GS to arrive, and am dying to know if there is sufficient room for ice studs on the unit, (of particular concern is the rear, as it was very limited on my old R100GS).

Anyone out there care to take a look? An easy method is to stick your fingers between the tire and the swing arm both to the side of the tread, and in front of the tire, between the tire and the swingarm. If your fingers fit, studs will fit...

justantherider
Hey Just,

I'm away from my bike but am guessing that you should have a plenty of room to play with. The bike accomodates the TKC80 easily and that's a monster looking rear with big blocky knobs so worst case scenario you could run something a little less aggresive if it became and issue but I doubt that you'd need to. The rear set up is off road like so it will have a lot of clearance for mud, etc. which wouldn't be there in a more street orientated set up such as on the R100. What size of studs are you running? Are you going to use the bike for ice racing on the lake or just run a stock pair of Trelleborgs?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #235
justanotherider
justanotherider

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Hey Just,

I'm away from my bike but am guessing that you should have a plenty of room to play with. The bike accomodates the TKC80 easily and that's a monster looking rear with big blocky knobs so worst case scenario you could run something a little less aggresive if it became and issue but I doubt that you'd need to. The rear set up is off road like so it will have a lot of clearance for mud, etc. which wouldn't be there in a more street orientated set up such as on the R100. What size of studs are you running? Are you going to use the bike for ice racing on the lake or just run a stock pair of Trelleborgs?
RTW:

Thanks for the encouraging information. I don't intend to race the 800 at this point, (although who knows what the future may hold - I could be pursuaded to do the Numb Bum again...).

What I do plan is to ride it north out of Fort McMurray up to Fort Smith NWT in February. A small band of us local nutbars do an annual charity ride up the winter road, to raise funds for a school attendance program at the Athabasca Delta Community School in Fort Chipewyan. It's a blast, and is helping to raise attendance and increase the graduation rate.

That trip will actually be a shake-down ride for the bike, in preparation for a longer and more nothernly ice ride on toward spring.

At one point, the winter road north of McMurray runs through some big sand dunes, and at times, there is some sand mixed into the ice on the road. We found CMA racing screws wore out pretty quickly, so now we use automotive rally studs. They don't offer the same grip as racing screws; but they work well for touring on ice roads and they are ok on the hard lake ice out on the Athabasca Delta as well.

I haven't used Trellaborgs; but I've been told they work well in snow; but give a pretty unstable ride on hard ice, because they hold the tire a bit off the ice, kind of like stilts. I priced them out; but we needed 24 tires for our charity ride, and the Trellaborgs were just way too expensive, so we just decide to make our own with rally studs, (like the ones Aerostitch sells) and they work just fine on the road and on ice. They don't work off-road as well as racing screws, or Trellaborgs; but we stick to the road...

BTW, I used a studded TKC on the back of a Kawasaki Versys last winter for the ride, and it worked like a charm - awesome grip, and the studs held in very well also.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=IMG_1441.jpg

Thanks again for the info...

justanotherider screwed with this post 10-05-2008 at 10:41 PM
justanotherider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 AM   #236
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
RTW:

What I do plan is to ride it north out of Fort McMurray up to Fort Smith NWT in February.

At one point, the winter road north of McMurray runs through some big sand dunes,.......... touring on ice roads and they are ok on the hard lake ice out on the Athabasca Delta as well..
This will definately need a ride report please (with pictures)

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #237
justanotherider
justanotherider

RTW:

Any word on cost and availability of your tougher-than-granite engine guard?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #238
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Electrical connections

Can you tell me the easiest place to find a switch-controlled hot wire to hook up my zumo? There is a spare plug on the battery but where do I get the male plug to fit it?

Thanks
Marc
marc morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #239
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc morgan
Can you tell me the easiest place to find a switch-controlled hot wire to hook up my zumo? There is a spare plug on the battery but where do I get the male plug to fit it?

Thanks
Marc
Touratech or BMW dealers have em.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #240
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
RTW:

Thanks for the encouraging information. I don't intend to race the 800 at this point, (although who knows what the future may hold - I could be pursuaded to do the Numb Bum again...).

What I do plan is to ride it north out of Fort McMurray up to Fort Smith NWT in February. A small band of us local nutbars do an annual charity ride up the winter road, to raise funds for a school attendance program at the Athabasca Delta Community School in Fort Chipewyan. It's a blast, and is helping to raise attendance and increase the graduation rate.

That trip will actually be a shake-down ride for the bike, in preparation for a longer and more nothernly ice ride on toward spring.

At one point, the winter road north of McMurray runs through some big sand dunes, and at times, there is some sand mixed into the ice on the road. We found CMA racing screws wore out pretty quickly, so now we use automotive rally studs. They don't offer the same grip as racing screws; but they work well for touring on ice roads and they are ok on the hard lake ice out on the Athabasca Delta as well.

I haven't used Trellaborgs; but I've been told they work well in snow; but give a pretty unstable ride on hard ice, because they hold the tire a bit off the ice, kind of like stilts. I priced them out; but we needed 24 tires for our charity ride, and the Trellaborgs were just way too expensive, so we just decide to make our own with rally studs, (like the ones Aerostitch sells) and they work just fine on the road and on ice. They don't work off-road as well as racing screws, or Trellaborgs; but we stick to the road...

BTW, I used a studded TKC on the back of a Kawasaki Versys last winter for the ride, and it worked like a charm - awesome grip, and the studs held in very well also.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=IMG_1441.jpg

Thanks again for the info...

Hey Just,

Looked at the pic, nice job. The set up with the rally studs don't protrude out the sides much at all so you should have plenty of clearance. I can take a quick measure when I get back to Canada next week.

The ride sounds like a blast, if I'm still around I'd love to come up for it if the timing works. Might even be in Fort Mac sometime in the next few of weeks if you are around for a beer.

In regards to tires, not sure where you are getting them now but if you are having to buy them for your charity ride, then that's a lot of tires to pay northern prices for. If you aren't already getting them from the US due to shipping/customs hassles, then I'm happy to pop across the border to pick them up and then on ship them for you. It's a short hop and that's what I do for my tires but it's a bit further for you to get to the border:)

Sorry, I've been busy being away and lazy so haven't looked at the guards for the last few weeks but will pick it up again after I get back.

Cheers.